Wow! Tice targeted in scalping probe...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that's what happens when you're the bargain basement of head coaches. Ya know it's tough to make ends meet here in Minnesota. If Latrell Sprewell can't feed his familly on $14MM per year, how the heck can anyone expect Tice to feed his family on a mere one million???? <_<

B-):doh::D:D:D:lol::lol:

Tice = Dauber (from the TV show "Coach")

unbelievable... no wonder moss didnt respect the guy

267358[/snapback]

Riiight, because scalping tickets is right up there with running over traffic cops, verbally threatening passangers on airplanes, and assaulting officials on the field. <_<

As Tony says, 'Tice = Dauber (from the TV show "Coach"'

CW

Personally, I see nothing wrong with this practice. It is pure capitalism, something our country is based on. Buy something for $x sell it for $x+y dollars. This is what Ticketmaster or every ticket vendor in America does. What's the problem here?

267445[/snapback]

Exactly. It's just an example of the NFL owners not wanting anyone but themselves making a buck off NFL games.

Exactly. It's just an example of the NFL owners not wanting anyone but themselves making a buck off NFL games.

267483[/snapback]

Well son of TracyLee the problem is that every player, coach, trainer, GM, scout etc. who received a SB ticket signed an agreement stating that they would not sell the tickets over face value.

While the NFL has always looked the other way as players sold their allotment they can't look the other way when a head coach is in direct contact with a broker, and he gathers up all available tickets for a set price and makes a nifty profit. According to the article when a player tried to buy up several tickets for his family to attend he was called out by Tice. Players who had agreed to sell the player tickets (at more than Tice was offering) were pressured into selling the tickets to Tice so he could continue his scam.

Today all of this is speculation. If proven correct Tice should be fired. He is in a position of authority on that team and he blew it big time--if the charges are proven.

There is a reason why they call it scalping which was considered one of the worst non-sexual war acts in the 19th century. Those who do it, especially those who claim to support the sport (like a head coach) or a team (like a team's fans), are morally corrupt.

I know a season ticket holder from Buffalo who buys 100 of the 'hot' games when they become available to season ticket holders and sells them to a scalper who is selling them to opposing fans. The season ticket holder KNOWS who the scalper is selling the tickets but justifies it as a way to pay for his season tickets. I was talking to him about going to a game and he told he had tickets and his connection was able to get him tickets for other games 'at cost' as compensation for participating in this business. He said if I bought season tickets he could arrange that the scalper would pay for my tickets - great way to pay for season tickets he said. I told him that I wasn't interested in going to a game with him and he was the type of person who filled the Bills home games with opposing fans. He said it was 'only 100' tickets and failed to understand how he was contributing to this.

I remember when the Bills were going to the S.P.. I was sitting in my favorite bar near the stadium. The out of town big buck scalpers were waiting for the players to show up. (Rumor has it the owner had tickets lined up, but the out of town scalpers had more money so guess who got the tickets) If you were a local who went to all the games, supported the team, and did not have the $$$, you were s.o.o.l.. I think I remember someone saying that the Big $$ Bills players would give their tickets to taxi/practice players so they could put some extra cash in their pockets.

How is ticket scalping any different than buying real estate and selling it for a higher price? Scalping is just the same as any other speculation. I see no problem with it.

267549[/snapback]

I see it as a problem for the not so fortunate fan. If he can get a ticket at the stadium for 50 dollars, why should someone be allowed to buy 100 $50 tickets and sell them for 80 or 90 dollars? That could cause fans who make lesser incomes to not be able to afford a game. I think it's wrong....

unbelievable... no wonder moss didnt respect the guy

Moss??? respects anything/anyone??? Let me see, Moss, a true paragon of virtue, having no respect for a coach, who is close to being a paragon of virtue?

If you look for Moss's endorsement for anything, you're setting your standards considerably low. You might want to look at that.

I see it as a problem for the not so fortunate fan. If he can get a ticket at the stadium for 50 dollars, why should someone be allowed to buy 100 $50 tickets and sell them for 80 or 90 dollars? That could cause fans who make lesser incomes to not be able to afford a game. I think it's wrong....

267602[/snapback]

This is the line of thinking that causes rent control and any other price controls to be implemented. In any case as laudable as the motivation might be behind such laws, they never work. When there are artificial price controls preventing the free-market from functioning correctly you either have shortages of the product or a black market. You cannot stop it.

HBO did a story on this a few years ago, it is rampant in the NFL, players scalping tickets... I think they view it as a "perk"... what bothers me is that they already make money hand over fist... so why do they really need an extra few hundred bucks? is it the "thrill"? Do they really feel they are sticking it to the man? or what compels them to do it?

HBO did a story on this a few years ago, it is rampant in the NFL, players scalping tickets...  I think they view it as a "perk"...  what bothers me is that they already make money hand over fist...  so why do they really need an extra few hundred bucks?  is it the "thrill"?  Do they really feel they are sticking it to the man?  or what compels them to do it?

267803[/snapback]

Think about it; let's say Tice convinces all 50 players to sell him their tickets. That's 100 Superbowl tickets. He's selling them to brokers for $1,700. That's $170,000. If he gives the players half, he's still making $85,000 *tax free*. Even if you're earning $1,000,000/year (roughly $650,000/year after taxes), $85,000 is a HUGE chunk of change!

Keep in mind that the article says a lot of assistant coaches (who are probably making $100,000 or less) sell the tickets to make some extra money as well.

We're not talking a few grand, this is big bucks.

CW