Do NY State Income Taxes Hurt the Bills?

Irv

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Because Bills players only pay NYS Tax on 9 game checks. 

MIA only gets tax free income on 8 game checks 

Not true. One game each against the Jets and Pats.  Also high tax states. 

8 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

Check your spelling.  Simple math.  I have an equal offer from a Florida team or the Bills.   Unless you are a moron you take the offer from the Florida team.   

You are going to pay way more than the $35k you save for an equivalent condo in Florida versus Buffalo. There's  more than 1 factor to discuss if you are going to get into where every dollar and cent goes.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

5 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

I know.  That is a big deal and it hurts not only the players but anybody in the building trades.  

Check your spelling.  Simple math.  I have an equal offer from a Florida team or the Bills.   Unless you are a moron you take the offer from the Florida team.   

Not necessarily. Football players should want to win. If the Fish suck while the Bills are dominating, you’d be an idiot to play for the Fish. 

2 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Not necessarily. Football players should want to win. If the Fish suck while the Bills are dominating, you’d be an idiot to play for the Fish. 

Did you watch Dareus play?

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I disagree. You play to get paid. Who cares if its for the Browns. You are making more than the average Joe, by an absurd amount. Bank the money when and if you can. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Idandria said:

I disagree. You play to get paid. Who cares if its for the Browns. You are making more than the average Joe, by an absurd amount. Bank the money when and if you can. 

Sure, but the example I responded to stated that you always choose Miami over Buffalo if money is equal. That would not be true if Buffalo were a winner. Scheme and fitting in with a team is important as well. 

2 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

Did you watch Dareus play?

Not sure what you mean. 

3 minutes ago, Idandria said:

Then why does just about every FA and prospective FA treat the Patriots differently? Why are guys like Blount and Bennett sabotaging their situations to get cut and go back to New England?

There isnt just ONE motivator that covers every player. Some are out for the money, some to win championships, ideally you find both.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Then why does just about every FA and prospective FA treat the PAtriots differently? Why are guys like Blount and Bennett sabotaging their current situations to get cut and go back to New England?

There isnt just ONE motivator that covers every player. Some are out for the money, some to win championships, ideally you find both.

Thoughtful post. Winning makes everything more fun. Anyone who has ever played a sport should understand that. It becomes part of the decision process in addition to money. Playing a sport is not akin to being an accountant. The workday holds far greater potential than just making bank. Money is huge to these players, but most guys also enjoy winning. 

7 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Sure, but the example I responded to stated that you always choose Miami over Buffalo if money is equal. That would not be true if Buffalo were a winner. Scheme and fitting in with a team is important as well. 

Not sure what you mean. 

McDermott and Beane understand me.  

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Thoughtful post. Winning makes everything more fun. Anyone who has ever played a sport should understand that. It becomes part of the decision process in addition to money. Playing a sport is not akin to being an accountant. The workday holds far greater potential than just making bank. Money is huge to these players, but most guys also enjoy winning. 

Thanks. And to keep it going, a lot of these guys have WIVES to deal with. Ask Andre Reed. And if your wife doesnt like the cold, or doesnt like the desert, or wants to be in a big city, or wants to be near her family (we lost Clabo to that)... there isnt anything you can do about it and state income tax wont matter. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Tell that to every college prospect who are crossing their fingers that the Browns don’t draft them. 

I would sit down with those drafted by the Browns and tell them their goal should be to have a 10 year career with the Browns. They will come out of it richer than their wildest dreams. Who cares that its the Browns. There only care should be to make it in the NFL, and be rich at the end of it all. This truly is an opportunity of a lifetime. 

Look at Kyle Williams. He took the money, but is also a WNY legend. Nothing at all wrong with that. 

I know, it would fall on deaf ears though. 

Edited by Idandria

1 minute ago, Idandria said:

I would sit down with those drafted by the Browns and tell them their goal should be to have a 10 year career with the Browns. They will come out of it richer than their wildest dreams. Who cares that its the Browns. There only care should be to make it in the NFL, and be rich at the end of it all. This truly is an opportunity of a lifetime. 

I know, it would fall on deaf ears though. 

I understand. Money is great, who doesn’t want to be set for life? The issue is that these guys will all be compensated nicely by any team. I’m not sure that I want to sacrifice my career before it begins for a little more cash. Your NFL career hasn’t a prayer when the Browns call your name. Money is nice, but decent players should also desire success. I know that my goal would be a Super Bowl ring, and a bust in Canton. I wouldn’t want that dream over before it began. That’s exactly what being drafted by the Browns does to a young player. 

Its a factor for sure but there are a lot of factors that go into where you sign.   Pat Kirwan has often made the point that the players care more about the years and max value than they should.  Basically what makes the headline, 5 years 35 million 15 million guaranteed, the rest of the structure is not as important.  Things like taxes are not as important for many players even though it should be.  It certainly would be a factor for me.  But assuming half of your games on the road are in taxes with income taxes you are talking about having 75% of your income taxed vs 25%.  It is not x percent of your contract based on your home city.  And that does not take into account deductions and any accounting hacks that can come into play.  Start a business for instance and you can play some games, lots of players do that.  They also consider what their potential next contract could be based on where they are going so playing as a WR for the Bills vs the Falcons would be a big factor.

Edited by mattynh

48 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

If I am free agent X and I have a choice between signing with the Dolphins, where there are no state income taxes or signing with the Bills, I have to imagine that I am going to have to ask for more money from the Bills to cover the cost of my income taxes.  So at the end of the day that will eat more into the salary cap and the Dolphins have a huge advantage.  Does the NFL adjust for this in the salary cap in any way?    Yes.  I am bored.  

No way - players make so much money this isn't an issue.  

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

No way - players make so much money this isn't an issue.  

I find this funny.  Here is a good example.  I have bought three houses.  During the negotiations we were often haggling over $5, 10K. Pretty easy to give away $5K in the blink of an eye.  But two weeks later, if some dude walked up to me and asked me for 5 bucks I would have laughed in his face.  

1 hour ago, Badthingsman said:

If I am free agent X and I have a choice between signing with the Dolphins, where there are no state income taxes or signing with the Bills, I have to imagine that I am going to have to ask for more money from the Bills to cover the cost of my income taxes.  So at the end of the day that will eat more into the salary cap and the Dolphins have a huge advantage.  Does the NFL adjust for this in the salary cap in any way?    Yes.  I am bored.  

No they don't and yes it will make a difference to a player.  If you make a lot of money, NYS is not where you want to make it.   One of the many reasons businesses and people have been fleeing the place since the 70's .  

1 hour ago, Badthingsman said:

I have to imagine it hurts any team that is in a state that has high income taxes.  Why would you play in NY and pay 20, 30, 40% of your salary to the state when you could go to Florida and keep it all.  

And pay it all back and then some in cost of living expenses