Season in Review

BigBuff423

As the regular season winds to a close, and all of the rumors are swirling about and news is being generated about coaches leaving in one way or another and playoffs are about to start, I thought a thread of review warranted it's own entity. Obviously the final and ultimately deciding game remains, a Fins rivalry that has not been so worthy of the "rivalry" distinction over the past decade, but it's a big one for the Bills and the most important finale in over 10 years. However, leading up to this game it seemed that based on so much debate about Tyrod Taylor, the inability of the Defense to stop the run, great play by Hyde, Poyer, and White, and injuries and failed trades, it was befitting to review how we ended up here - in general.

So, to that end, I only wanted to review the losses because the wins, well they're what they are - wins. The losses are what's telling about this season. We should preface this discussion by the fact that very few gave the Bills a chance to over 6 wins for the season and virtually no chance at the playoffs in Week 17. But, here we are so let's dive right in, shall we?

1st loss: Panthers - we remember this doldrums game as losing 9-3 at Carolina, but mostly I remember watching this game and feeling the burning sensation of familiar frustration with an Offense that can't move the ball and who lost their identity as a run-efficient Offense while just incapable of passing the ball. In retrospect, the Defense played outstanding given they only surrendered 9 points in Africa-hot type heat and was on the field for God-awful 38 minutes....that means the Defense was on the field for a nearly 2:1 ratio. All information considered, the Defense was stellar that day. Tyrod was 17-25 for 107 yards with a paltry 3.8 yards per pass and no TDs, but no INTs either.

2nd loss: Bengals - White got his first real taste of Rookie-itis as he was torched on 2 big plays by AJ Green. The Bills did forced AJ Green to fumble and had two additional INTs yet the Offense was abysmal. Tyrod had 166 yards passing, with 1 TD, 1INT, but largely ineffective. The Defense gave up two big plays and had a couple of costly penalties. The Defense was largely good and certainly good enough, but due to Offensive ineffectiveness the Bills came up short.

3rd loss: Jets - In this singular instance, the Offense was not the major issue - Defense just came up lame. Tyrod was 29-40 for 285 yards 2 TDs, 6 carries for 35 yards, 1 TD. If we remember it was also Zay Jones' first NFL TD and the one where he was tripped and impeded his development with an injury. Remember the Bills were 5-2 going into that game, with the Defense mostly carrying the team, only to have them fall apart. But to be fair, the Bills had 3 turnovers, while the Jets had none, and much of Tyrod's stats were in 4th Quarter, so the numbers are a bit skewed. But there is no mistaking the Jets 194 yards rushing that was THE telling stat of the game. So, this loss belongs to the Defense.

4th loss: Saints - This was a demoralizing loss for the Bills. After having 10 days to prepare and coming off national embarrassment for the Defense, they promptly give up 298 yards rushing. However, and this cannot be understated: the Offense was equally inept and while there is NO guarantee a better Offense changes the ultimate outcome, there is almost zero debate that a better Offense changes the manner in which that loss is handled. The Saints T.O.P. was over 41 minutes to the Bills meager 18 minutes. Almost impossible in the NFL to see that lopsided of T.O.P. This additional T.O.P. allowed the Saints to keep pounding the ball and running Ingram and Kamara, again and again and again, compounding the issues for the Defense. In this game, both sides played poorly and this will be the chicken-egg debate, but little doubt that a much improved Offense slides that scale significantly closer to the Bills ability to win, changing the T.O.P. helping the Defense stay fresh. It will forever be known as the "Infamous 56", as in Tyrod's total passing yards through 3 quarters.

5th loss: Chargers - As polarizing a loss as any we've had in quite some time. The Peterman debate raged heavily leading up to the game and certainly for two weeks after the game. I don't really need to recap Peterman's total failure in that game resulting in one of the worst losses in 10 years for the Bills, thinking back to the Pats* slapping the Bills around when they had Moss and went 16-0 on Sunday Night Football to the tune of 50 points. This one is squarely on Peterman's shoulders, 5 INTs in the first half is nearly impossible to overcome for any Defense. However, watching that game, there were tipped balls, immediate pressure since apparently the Offensive line forgot how to pass block, and Rookie mistakes was the perfect storm for a horrendously epic half of football. 

6th Loss: Pats* - All things considered, once again the Defense played fairly well but not great. Honestly, they played well enough to win when you consider Brady threw for 258 yards and 1 INT with NO TDs, but again NE had the ball 34 minutes compared to Bills' 25 minutes with Tyrod going 50%, 9-18, for 65 yards and 1 INT. This game will go down as the "Gronk Cheap Head-Shot" game, but it didn't seem to light a fire under the team as they failed to make any substantive comeback. Keep in mind there was NO scoring in the 4th Quarter by either team....good for Bills' Defense, bad for the Offense to lay an egg to show that they couldn't get it done...at all. Offense was once again outclassed and out done, good effort by Defense but would have needed elite performance by everyone. 

7th loss: Pats* (2nd time) - This is the Kelvin Benjamin TD that "should have been", but was overturned. Tyrod's sack losing 15 yards turning it into 2nd and 25 from their own 10 was the turning point despite the tie score of the game. Again, the Offense could not capitalize on opportunities as Tyrod had 281 yards but NO TDs, while Brady threw a pick-6 giving the Bills a 10-3 lead. Additionally, the Defense was not good against the Run, allowing a total of 193 yards, but Buffalo kept settling for FGs when TDs were needed. The Defense produced a turnover and gave the Bills decent field position in the first 3 Quarters, but Offensive impotence lead to the Defense being out there too long. With that McDaniels got too many opportunities with Brady to get the TDs they're so accustomed to getting. In short, the Defense was worn down by the 4th Quarter, but they produced the only TD of the game for the Bills, and that will not win you games against Brady in New England. 

I recapped all of this with stats and information to essentially say this: people are focused on the Chargers game due to Peterman's 5 INTs and while they are inexcusable, looking at the remaining games, the primary offender for losses was the Offense with other games (Jets TNF, Saints) being largely due to poor Defense. However, other games, like the two Patriots games are examples where a Defense shouldn't have to be "perfect" to withstand enough points that our lackluster and anemic Offense can just barely surpass them. The Oakland game was the one complete game by both Offense and Defense that showed a full win on both sides. Tyrod Taylor has been himself, in some ways dynamic with his legs and occasionally he'll show up as a true passer, but mostly ineffective, and the WRs have not helped him out. But the Offensive line takes a lot of hits for their poor play - and the Chargers game was the shining light of where they struggled mightily - but looking at their rankings, they have not been bad and in fact, at times they've been downright good. Tyrod's inability to make a decision quick enough and take a sack or not go according to script in his progressions with his receivers have led to sacks or mistakes in the game, but they've done an admirable job all things considered. 

This was not intended to torch Tyrod again or start more QB debate, but it was intended to bring back to light that despite the moves made by the Front Office before and after the season to re-build, i.e. Watkins, Robert Wood, Gilmore, Mike Gillisilee (sp?), Darby, Karlos Williams, Dareus, Zack Brown and other role players......McD and his staff have done a hell of a lot with very little. Consider Glenn's injuries and Dawkins stepping in, consider Milano, Tre White, and that Zay is making progress but in the same game where it seemed he was putting it all together, he was injured by a cheap trick - that 4 (FOUR) productive Rookies and a couple doing really, really well and the team is in the playoff picture in week 17. The run Defense needs to get better and well....you know, that "other" position on Offense, and there will be much more turnover in the coming weeks and months, but this should makes us all see things a bit clearer just by wiping away the rumors, the cobwebs of conjecture and hyperbole, and think about what has really happened and what truly needs to happen to be that Super Bowl contender year in and year out. If you've read this far, thanks and for the Miami game this weekend, and every week they play - #GoBills

• Like (+1) 1

To me, the worst loss of the season was the Thursday night game vs. the Jets. They go into the game at 5-2, they come off some exciting wins over Oakland and Tampa Bay, the defense is racking up turnovers, offense doing just enough, etc. At this point, local and national media are buying in, saying the Bills are the better team and even calling them a playoff team. The moment all of that hype starts they go out in front of a national audience and just get embarrassed. I was hoping for a fluke, thinking maybe they were just physically beat, didn't have enough time to prepare like they usually do, etc. But that  began one of the worst three-game skids in team history. 

On paper, this team shouldn't have won more than 4 or 5 games total. The fact that they've overachieved given the massive roster overhaul and the new coaching staff is (hopefully) a positive sign for the future. Now that everything is in place for the organization to have a full off-season together it's exciting to see where they go. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who reviews a season exclusively with losses?

As I said in the post, a win is a win....so, if you'd like to debate the merits of the win, fine by me, but it wouldn't seem to make much sense. But considering where this team is in respect to the playoffs, on the edge based on 3 other teams needing to lose and the Bills needing to win their finale, it seemed like a decent topic to discuss. 

Edited by BigBuff423

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

As I said in the post, a win is a win....so, if you'd like to debate the merits of the win, fine by me, but it wouldn't seem to make much sense. But considering where this team is in respect to the playoffs, on the edge based on 3 other teams needing to lose and the Bills needing to win their finale, it seemed like a decent topic to discuss. 

Fair enough. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

To me, the worst loss of the season was the Thursday night game vs. the Jets. They go into the game at 5-2, they come off some exciting wins over Oakland and Tampa Bay, the defense is racking up turnovers, offense doing just enough, etc. At this point, local and national media are buying in, saying the Bills are the better team and even calling them a playoff team. The moment all of that hype starts they go out in front of a national audience and just get embarrassed. I was hoping for a fluke, thinking maybe they were just physically beat, didn't have enough time to prepare like they usually do, etc. But that  began one of the worst three-game skids in team history. 

On paper, this team shouldn't have won more than 4 or 5 games total. The fact that they've overachieved given the massive roster overhaul and the new coaching staff is (hopefully) a positive sign for the future. Now that everything is in place for the organization to have a full off-season together it's exciting to see where they go. 

Agreed, it will be interesting to see what Beane truly does with an Off-season since he came in after FA and the Draft. Also, if Dunkirk Don is right - and I'm not saying he is or he isn't just using it as a springboard for discussion - and there is a growing separation between McD and Beane, we'll see whether it's a total tear down to the studs, or just a paint job and some laminate flooring type remodel. 

Agree there is a lot to be hopeful based on the 2017 results..I had them at 6-10 so even if they finish 8-8 ( I do think they'll win in Miami but just want to go pessimistic for year ends evaluation sake) this team just seems better prepared ( of course you can point out the jets. Saints, Chargers games and that would be a valid counter argument). I don't like a lot of the in game decisions by McDermott but with a slightly better O maybe he ends up with fewer opportunities to have a brain fart.

As pointed out by the OP the defensive backfield played way better than could ever be expected. I doubt they can fix the front seven, the O line, the wide receiver weakness and the QB position in one off-season. So I'd love to see them do for the front seven D or the O line what they did for the backfield D this coming year. I worry that if they get a  QB this coming draft (and I mean in the first round) he'll get killed by what is a rather poor O-line in spite of what ranks the rating groups are giving them..that right side of the O line is classic bad and Wood is really mediocre.

So either O line or D line/LBs this coming year...the WRs and extra running backs can come later when they really have a playoff capable team.

Just glad to be a fan and not having to make any of these decisions.

Good season.   Won a lot of games.   That's about it.   An extended preseason where the players played full games instead of half games.   McBeanes know what they have now.   The process will continue.  

The roster will be very different next year.  

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

Just now, 8-8 Forever? said:

Good season.   Won a lot of games.   That's about it.   An extended preseason where the players played full games instead of half games.   McBeanes know what they have now. 

The roster will be very different next year.  

Except for a few good players, I'm hoping you're right. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I wonder if this means Reilly will finally see the field on Sunday....I don't know if he would be any good, but man that dude has some promise...might as well see what he's got under the lights when the plays truly matter. 

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Never understood that approach to a season. 'On Paper'???  I went into the season expecting a playoff berth just because we wouldn't have incompetent coaches.

Overall , I'd say an up and down season.  There will be major personnel changes this off season with a great opportunity to make a impact with favorable draft positions. Nice foundation, but a critical offseason.

Edited by klos63

Great post. Really puts our season in perspective. I for one am happy for all the ups and downs, the spirited arguments. I know there's still a game to go, but I'll take a year like this with all the crazy things that's happened than a 5-11 year ended early. 

This year was fun guys.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Excellent post -- well done. 

47 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Good post, but I really don’t see how you write this before the final game. 

No matter what’s happened so far, if we make the playoffs, this is unequivocally our best season in 20 years and McDermott is a god 

Honestly, it was intended to be preemptive. After next week’s game, it will be all about the opportunities lost or the “luck” of having all 3 teams lose out and Bills win to get them in the playoffs. There hasn’t been a week 17 like this for the Bills since the ill-fated Mularkey fiasco. 

So the post was primarily about the debate of how the Bills arrived to this point - some fault Defense, some WR, many Tyrod, some coaching, and of course some blame all of the above. It was intended to put the losses in perspective for discussion since those losses are why the Bills are currently in this position. And as said earlier you certainly can discuss wins, but a win is a win, and no matter how ugly, they’ve contributed to the Bills on the precipice of ending the drought.

Edited by BigBuff423

On 12/26/2017 at 2:17 PM, BigBuff423 said:

1st loss: Panthers - we remember this doldrums game as losing 9-3 at Carolina, but mostly I remember watching this game and feeling the burning sensation of familiar frustration with an Offense that can't move the ball and who lost their identity as a run-efficient Offense while just incapable of passing the ball. In retrospect, the Defense played outstanding given they only surrendered 9 points in Africa-hot type heat and was on the field for God-awful 38 minutes....that means the Defense was on the field for a nearly 2:1 ratio. All information considered, the Defense was stellar that day. Tyrod was 17-25 for 107 yards with a paltry 3.8 yards per pass and no TDs, but no INTs either.

God almighty it was brutally hot that day, and my lazy butt was sitting in the stands.

• Haha (+1) 1