Playoff QBs and where they came from

Dadonkadonk

In no particular order including the contenders for last WC spots

Brady - 6th round

Flacco - 1st round, trade down and then up

Mariota - 1st round

Newton - 1st round

Keenum/Bradford - UDFA, FA former 1st round

Goff - 1st round trade up(net loss of 4 draft picks to acquire)

Brees - FA, former 2nd round

Roethlisberger - 1st round

Wilson - 3rd round

Smith - FA, former 1st round

Bortles - 1st round bust

Ryan - 1st round

Rivers - 1st round - trade down

Wentz/Foles - 1st round trade up(5 total picks given up), 3rd round

As many have pointed out, most playoff QBs come from the first round and fairly high in the draft..  However in only two cases did teams solely move up to get their QB. And the Eagles and Rams gave up five and four picks respectively to move up.  Rams from the 15th spot took six high picks to move up to get Goff and a couple of low round scraps.

More teams found their QB via FA rather than trading up in the first round. 

Steelers got the best QB in a draft class with possibly three HOF QBs by standing pat.  (Trading up worked out great for the Giants and trading down worked out great for the Chargers).  Note trading up netted the Bills the worst QB in the first round - Losman.

So, what do you do arm chair GM's.  Let's assume Bills pick around 15th for now.  Who is going to give up 4 or five picks to move from 15 to 2 or 3?  Who is going to give Cousins a truck load of money?  Who stands pat follows the draft board and takes a QB if the right one falls to you?  

Me, I don't see any QB in this draft worth giving up four or five picks.  I make a play for Cousins or Smith and use the draft picks to rebuild the defense. If I can't get either of those two in FA, then I stand pat and see if a QB falls to the Bills at 15.  Then I trade down at least once and never trade up.  

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Exactly. So are they going to give up four or five picks to go up that high?

Yes, which is why they are accumulating so many draft picks. It also would t surprise me if they are going to add more picks via John Miller, Shaq Lawson, and Cordy Glenn

On 12/25/2017 at 1:24 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

In no particular order including the contenders for last WC spots

Brady - 6th round

Flacco - 1st round, trade down and then up

Mariota - 1st round

Newton - 1st round

Keenum/Bradford - UDFA, FA former 1st round

Goff - 1st round trade up(net loss of 4 draft picks to acquire)

Brees - FA, former 2nd round

Roethlisberger - 1st round

Wilson - 3rd round

Smith - FA, former 1st round

Bortles - 1st round bust

Ryan - 1st round

Rivers - 1st round - trade down

Wentz/Foles - 1st round trade up(5 total picks given up), 3rd round

As many have pointed out, most playoff QBs come from the first round and fairly high in the draft..  However in only two cases did teams solely move up to get their QB. And the Eagles and Rams gave up five and four picks respectively to move up.  Rams from the 15th spot took six high picks to move up to get Goff and a couple of low round scraps.

More teams found their QB via FA rather than trading up in the first round. 

Steelers got the best QB in a draft class with possibly three HOF QBs by standing pat.  (Trading up worked out great for the Giants and trading down worked out great for the Chargers).  Note trading up netted the Bills the worst QB in the first round - Losman.

So, what do you do arm chair GM's.  Let's assume Bills pick around 15th for now.  Who is going to give up 4 or five picks to move from 15 to 2 or 3?  Who is going to give Cousins a truck load of money?  Who stands pat follows the draft board and takes a QB if the right one falls to you?  

Me, I don't see any QB in this draft worth giving up four or five picks.  I make a play for Cousins or Smith and use the draft picks to rebuild the defense. If I can't get either of those two in FA, then I stand pat and see if a QB falls to the Bills at 15.  Then I trade down at least once and never trade up.  

Taking Mayfield and never looking back.

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

They should. Go buy the 1st, 2nd overall

It would be nice if they can accomplish this and I agree.  However, it takes two to tango and the team would be set back years if they get it wrong.  Hopefully this staff knows what the hell they are doing.  I don't think the Browns are trading out this year, but they hold two top 5 picks if I recall correctly.  Maybe they might trade their lower one.

Edited by Scott7975