I'm proud of this team. But...

The Plunge

A few thoughts

1. I'm very proud of this team. This team is loaded with character and resolve. You can say that we shouldn't complain about the officiating, but those calls were game changers. A team doesn't play as hard when they get to the point where they know they're screwed no matter what they do. It's like a hockey team with a brutal goalie. They play differently when they worry about everything going in the back of their net. Same thing here. I can't imagine how demoralizing it must be for the players to do everything right, and have it still reward the other team. That said, I'm proud of this team. We're coming, and the league knows it.

2. That said, there is no way this team can take the next step with Dennison in charge of the offense. I don't care who the QB is. I don't care who our WR's are. Rick Dennison would ruin Aaron Rodgers. There is no point drafting a QB next year, or signing someone new, if he's in charge of this scheme. I'm not even sure how we can comment on Tyrod's play with these plays being called. Everything "good" done on offense is being done in spite of Dennison. Not because of him.

There were a lot of rumours last year saying that McCoy was Dennison's first choice. Well he's available now. Go get him. McDermott and Beane have been very quick to part ways with anyone who doesn't fit their long term plans. They need to be consistent with this. Treat your coaching staff the same way you treat your players. If Dennison is the answer, I don't want to know what the question is. He's rivalling Turk Schonert as the worst OC we've ever had in Buffalo. 

3. Lastly, I no longer trust the integrity of this league. I just don't. I'm not sure how you could anymore. The Benjamin touchdown wasn't a 50/50 call. If you gave 100 replay officials the ability to review that play, 98 of them let the call on the field stand. There is no debate on this. The call was wrong. But if you want evidence of how bad this league has gotten, ask yourself this. Were you surprised when they overturned it? I wasn't. I absolutely knew it was gonna be overturned. Whenever a league official has a chance to influence a call involving NE during a time in the game that it matters, it goes NE's way. It's gotten to the point where it's laughable. This team has been caught cheating twice. And they still get these calls. I'm sorry, but if a team has gone to the lengths they have to spy on opponents, would it be out of the question for them to be involved in other unethical behaviour? They've alreasdy told the world that they're willing to break the rules, in some pretty intricate ways, in order to win. I believe it's naive to think that they aren't capable of more in this regard.

You can call this sour grapes. I think NE would've found a way to win today anyway. They are a great football team. We're not there yet. Don't confuse these comments. I'm not saying the refs cost us the game today. But I am saying that once again, the refs influenced a game in a way that made it impossible for us to win. This franchise, historically, hasn't "earned" much. Good teams get calls. We've been bad for ages. But this team deserves better than this.  And the fans definitely do.

Go Bills! And Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree 100%

Get your QB in the draft.

With a new QB you gotta dump Dennison cause he has zero creativity, design is bad and just can’t call a game.

And this team was being predicted to win 4 games. McD and Beane cleaned house and they still may win 9 games with a lot of mediocre players. Mills, A Rookie LT, VLad, Tyrod, Rookie WR, No pass rush, aging/but young DTs, 

After a couple drafts and offseasons this team can be special.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

People who keep mentioning Mike McCoy... stop. He is awful. He is a downgrade on what we have. His whole career reputation is based on that one year of Tebow where he didn't "design an offense to Tebow's strengths". He designed a God awful offense that at times went 3 whole quarters without moving the ball and then would ride its D's coattails to a win. 

I seriously want them to consider Ken Dorsey. 

Regardless I would love for this team to grab a young QB coach, who’s played in this league and has been coaching a handful of years....

Who else fits that bill?

QB coach, played the game, 3-5 yrs coaching experience or more, under 45 yrs of age....

2 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I seriously want them to consider Ken Dorsey. 

Regardless I would love for this team to grab a young QB coach, who’s played in this league and has been coaching a handful of years....

Who else fits that bill?

QB coach, played the game, 3-5 yrs coaching experience or more, under 45 yrs of age....

My first choice is absolutely Sean Ryan the QB coach in Houston. His success in incorporating what Watson did well in college is the type of adaptable thinking that will make it easier for our shiney new rookie, whoever he may be, to succeed. I doubt Houston let us interview him or that he would come though. 

After him I'd consider Bill Lazor who likely shakes loose in Cincy or John Morton in the unlikely event the Jets clean house. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I agree, find a young & innovative offensive coordinator. The next Sean McVay would be nice.

Yeah, you just watch most of these older coaches, who don’t adapt or seem to have the fire in their gut to make a name for themselves.

Just dust off the playbook, and have the arrogance as if it’s all about technique, just gotta execute. Wrong.

5 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Just dust off the playbook, and have the arrogance as if it’s all about technique, just gotta execute. Wrong.

Coach arrogance is real. I talked about it before the season. The "just run my system properly and it will work" logic is flawed. 

However, execution does matter. And in too many games this year our execution has sucked as much if not more than play calling.  

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Coach arrogance is real. I talked about it before the season. The "just run my system properly and it will work" logic is flawed. 

However, execution does matter. And in too many games this year our execution has sucked as much if not more than play calling.  

Absolutely execution is real. But when you run the same plays from the same formations for years on end it’s all on tape.

I know what you’re saying.

Even in Defense, against Brady I wanted to see our Defense moving around pre snap, maybe get Brady to guess and guess wrong. But watch the game, the Bills didn’t blitz and just lined up and that was it. Shift the Dline, bring the LBers up, the secondary should be up and back, in the box, out the box etc...

3 hours ago, The Plunge said:

2. That said, there is no way this team can take the next step with Dennison in charge of the offense. I don't care who the QB is. I don't care who our WR's are. Rick Dennison would ruin Aaron Rodgers. There is no point drafting a QB next year, or signing someone new, if he's in charge of this scheme. I'm not even sure how we can comment on Tyrod's play with these plays being called. Everything "good" done on offense is being done in spite of Dennison. Not because of him.

Great post and Merry Christmas.

Dennison seems to refuse to get what he can out of Tyrod.  He hasn't modified his offense to take advantage of Tyrod's athleticism by allowing Tyrod out of the pocket and make more plays with his legs.  I don't think Tyrod will ever see the field completely, read defenses, or trust the receiver or route, so you might as well let him do what he is comfortable doing and you probably would see more production from the offense.  This doesn't register with Dennison.  Tyrod was never a long term solution at QB, but only a bridge, but Dennison wants to burn the bridge and force his system; we're seeing the lackluster results.  Then there is his blocking scheme and infatuation with Ducasse, which leads to poor OLine play.  Tyrod most likely has one more game as a Bill, hopefully Dennison and Castillo follow suit.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Castillo is here as long as McDermott is Head Coach. Take that to the bank. He was his very first hire for a reason. 

I realize this is a strong possibility since they both have the Andy Reid Philly connection.  This is terrifying, and honestly doesn't speak well of McDermott's ability to make needed adjustments to his staff, crony or not.

• Like (+1) 1

Thing is Castillo is gonna coach the Blocking scheme the OC wants. I’m sure Oline coaches can coach any blocking scheme. But the VLad obsession is madness. If they don’t upgrade our RG or RT situation we are in trouble. Or if they think Dawkins is our LT so be it. 

I think Conor McDermott might surprise next year at RT.