50 yrd FG

Sky Diver

3 minutes ago, Heitz said:

And if they don’t make it, they’re down by 7 and Brady is getting the ball.  If they do make it and then (no guarantee) go on to score it’s tied and Brady gets the ball.

Again, I would have preferred we go - what do we have to lose - but I do understand “taking the points”, which as the FG stats show, was a pretty good shot.

While you see it as “gutless”, I’m sure McD was thinking - let’s get these points, stop them and score again (potentially to go ahead in the 4th quarter).

There's a difference between "gutless" and dumb.

I didn't like the call for a FG not because of the weather or the distance. I didn't like it because even if he makes it who cares!! its the Pats and Brady. You need TDs!! we needed a TD there to keep even with them. Up to that point we had been very lucky to hold them to 2 tds but we had blown 3 possible TDs and got FGs. Kicking the FG there was just giving up because you have no confidence in your offense to get the first down.  If it was any other team in the league, I am for the FG but not the Pats. Unless you match them toe to toe you are done!!

On 12/24/2017 at 8:53 PM, Domdab99 said:

So he makes it...now what? 

Then we are just a TD away from taking the lead. But of course our defense let us down. But we have to be able to trust our defense in key situations... Think we need to be more upset of our defense in 2nd half rather than to take a FG or not. They showed no effort in the 2nd half defensively. They seemed to lose focus after have a decent 1st half

4 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Then we are just a TD away from taking the lead. But of course our defense let us down. But we have to be able to trust our defense in key situations... Think we need to be more upset of our defense in 2nd half rather than to take a FG or not. They showed no effort in the 2nd half defensively. They seemed to lose focus after have a decent 1st half

You want to trust the defense but not the offense to make 1 yard? 

Riiiiiiight.

5 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

You want to trust the defense but not the offense to make 1 yard? 

Riiiiiiight.

Well technically its trusting the entire team. Trusting your kickers ability to make it, trusting you're defense to get the key stop, and trusting youre offense to be able to drive the field again and take the lead.

It's easy in hindsight to say go for it but if you have the ability to score 3 points against Patriots you take it. Say we did gain the first down. Who is to say we wouldn't have to just settle for another FG attempt later in drive? It's not like getting those 2 yards would have given us a TD...

Edited by Kmart128

The funny thing no one seems to mention is when they do go for it on fourth down the calls have been horrendous. How many 3rd and short then fourth and shorts have they had this season where they don’t even give their best player shady the ball?  When they did that rollout with their 3rd string qb on fourth and short on their first possession against Indy I would have fired Dennison on the spot lol. It’s like Dennison try’s to sabotage their fourth down attempts on purpose. 

19 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well technically its trusting the entire team. Trusting your kickers ability to make it, trusting you're defense to get the key stop, and trusting youre offense to be able to drive the field again and take the lead.

It's easy in hindsight to say go for it but if you have the ability to score 3 points against Patriots you take it. Say we did gain the first down. Who is to say we wouldn't have to just settle for another FG attempt later in drive? It's not like getting those 2 yards would have given us a TD...

I'm really not trying to be offensive, but you should stop talking about football strategy. I'm amazed people who watch the game still think like this and literally have no clue what they're talking about.

Edited by Domdab99

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I'm really not trying to be offensive, but you should stop talking about football strategy. I'm amazed people who watch the game still think like this and literally have no clue about what they're talking about.

You're probably the one who thought that Bills should have gone for it on 4th down against the Colts too... There are all kinds of different strategies. Sometimes they pay off and other times you don't. 

Love how you talk down to me. A majority of coaches who do this for a living would all make the same call. It's super easy to see the miss and say oh should have went for it. What if he made it and Patriots fumbled the return. You would have been praising the decision. You never know what is going to happen in a game. It was a close decision. I could see a coach doing either but I was leaning towards points and getting just one stop which probably would have shifted the momentum back to us.

On 12/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, Domdab99 said:

This 100%.

But the "take the points" crowd on here will not be convinced.

We are doomed with bad coaching year after year.

I think McD is a good coach hes just learning on the job. Hopefully he has learned from this experience