Hot Take: 2018 Quarterback

elijah

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The decision to bench Tyrod has far greater meaning than Peterman’s performance.

And what McD found out is that his Oline blows.  Not saying Taylor is the answer but it’s glaringly obvious the Oline needs to be addressed and addressed quickly.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Finley....won’t cost extra Draft capital, hits all the buttons for the WCO, and great at all levels of field, with low INT and good completion percentage. Not perfect, not huge arm, but great solid prospect. Late first / early 2nd depending on combine, all IMHO. He would be a guy that would be good to either let him learn baptism by fire - 1st year - or develop a year or two behind Alex Smith.

Finley will be an interesting case if he comes out. Definitely has the attitude that McD seems to like, but you are right about the arm. It's accurate but he doesn't have much velocity behind those throws. I like the guy and am keen on seeing how he plays on Friday, but he would seem to me to be a low-risk, lower ceiling QB relative to a Lamar, Rudolph or Allen.

31 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah?  With the exception of his mediocre performance last week, at home against Miami, how has Tyrod played down the stretch?  What, did he throw for 53 yards against the Saints?  

Yeah, they’re going to shell out 18 million for Tyrod next year with all the holes needed to fill in FA.  Yeah, bud :bag:

I don't care for Tyrod next year, but Nate #@$!ing Peterman better not be a contingency plan. Tyrod had a bad game at Saints. Nobody's saying he's been super consistent as a starter. I wanted McDermott fired for starting the most unprepared quarterback in a huge away game. Granted we've come back from that with a fighting chance at a playoffs, and I love him for that. But jeebus if you could pick between a Chargers win or a Pats win to be 9-5, which is more likely. I know I know the Chargers are an unstoppable super bowl team according to the half of TBD that lost their damn minds and thought a 5th round rookie solves all problems. Doug McDermott's like the girlfriend that cheated on you. He screwed up but he might be able to make it right.

14 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

And what McD found out is that his Oline blows.  Not saying Taylor is the answer but it’s glaringly obvious the Oline needs to be addressed and addressed quickly.  

McD just found that out :rolleyes:. It didn't occur to him when Tyrod scrambled out of pressure constantly to put up average play? No he needed a rookie who's only move under pressure is to chuck a lob off his back foot. I hope for your sake and MacDermott's that's not what happened.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

39 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

And that's with spotting the Chargers a game hahaha. We'd be sitting pretty if we didn't give up that game before it even started.

How much would have changed with TT starting and losing?

Nate screwed the pooch and gets the blame ? %. 

But was the end result that much different?    

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I can only imagine what Lynn would have done to Tyrod. Lynn knows Tyrod like the back of his hand. He might not have thrown INTs but I bet Tyrod would have have been lucky to even get positive yards out of that away game. That game was circled for Lynn, his knowledge of the team was next to impossible to win IMO. McD saved Tyrod from that game IMO because after the NO game he would have been really done for sure with a big flop in LA.

Edited by xRUSHx

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

it's hard to say :). On one hand we had no chance with 5 interceptions. On the other hand we have shown to win (8-6) with a positive turnover stat, a defense that trusts the ball won't get turned over, and yes, Tyrod not repeating the worst game of his a career vs the saints, not making excuses there.

so.. yes it is Nate's fault. but read my post and I blame McDermott 100%. It was the dumbest move I've never seen before. Name me another time such a boneheaded move was made lol.

And I can't stress this enough, THE CHARGERS WERE NOT, and ARE NOT that good. We have a better record than them for Christ sakes.

Hate the argument. What if we lost to the glorious Cheifs? Lol a better team than the Chargers numbnuts. Another 5 pick performance, you'd be on your podium "how much would have change with TT starting and losing?"

We're 8-6 with Tyrod the starting quarterback (and best QB on roster like it or not) for most gams. He's not perfect, but sure better than throwing Peterman's **** against the wall and seeing what happens.

I said I like McDermott. But that was one of the dumbest Bills coaching decisions I have seen since I really started watching.

18 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

If people can't see that the coaching staff has next to no confidence in Taylor then I don't know what to tell you at this point.

next to no confidence in tyrod, but regardless of which direction we go, there'll be even less confidence in the next qb unless it's kirk. 

Edited by elijah

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

And that's with spotting the Chargers a game hahaha. We'd be sitting pretty if we didn't give up that game before it even started.

No way 3 and out beats yhe chargers.... His 65 yard showcase against the saints proved that.   Oh yeah, lets thank 3 and out for spotting the Panthers, saints, and NE games as well.  Bills be sitting VERY pretty if they had a QB for those games. 

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If we sign Kirk, that's a multi year deal for big $$ or else he's not coming here.  So can't see signing him and then also drafting a guy to develop.  If it's TT, then can see it playing out exactly as you describe.  Of the two options would rather see the Bills sign a vet (or only draft someone in Rd 2) as overall many of these supposed can't miss prospects in September, now all have some types of question marks or flags.   A round #2 pick that fails is much easier to accept.

The Patriots took Garoppolo round 2 behind Brady.  Packers took Aaron Rodgers first round behind Brett Favre.

The point of this thread is kind of that the correct thing to do with your rookie quarterback is to let them be on the bench for a little while.  It's not that I'm pushing for Tyrod or Kirk to be the long term answer.

7 minutes ago, elijah said:

next to no confidence in tyrod, but regardless of which direction we go, there'll be even less confidence in the next qb unless it's kirk. 

I wasn't specifically saying to your OP, just to the"If .... Tyrod is our starter" crowd.

2 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

No way 3 and out beats yhe chargers.... His 65 yard showcase against the saints proved that.   Oh yeah, lets thank 3 and out for spotting the Panthers, saints, and NE games as well.  Bills be sitting VERY pretty if they had a QB for those games. 

this isn't about Buffalo's QBs being horrible (Dennison's idiot scheme searching for that Schaub 2010 offense for the books not being considered.

IT'S ABOUT STARTING OUR WORSE QB ON THE TEAM, over a better QB (is isn't good but is certainly loads better than the steaming pile Nate showed us.

But if your strongest argument is that Tayrod throws 65 yard games every game, then you don't know how players can adjust. That would be like if I thought Pete throws 5 ints every game. Tyrod clearly show he doesn't do that in his career.

For my sanity, admit that that Tyrod's chances were better than Peterman's. You can cheat. Use hindsight.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah?  With the exception of his mediocre performance last week, at home against Miami, how has Tyrod played down the stretch?  What, did he throw for 53 yards against the Saints?  

Yeah, they’re going to shell out 18 million for Tyrod next year with all the holes needed to fill in FA.  Yeah, bud :bag:

Did Tyrod throw for 53 yards against the Saints? Yes. 

Does Tyrod have a 7-5 record as a starter right now and have us in the thick of the playoff race? Yes. 

Does Tyrod have two victories over playoff caliber teams this year (Chiefs, Falcons)? Yes. 

And, if you look at the money situation with Tyrod, I believe we only save $9 million by cutting him.  So the financial guys in the front office arent looking at that $18 million figure, it's all about the 9, and $9M is hella cheap for a starting QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

this isn't about Buffalo's QBs being horrible (Dennison's idiot scheme searching for that Schaub 2010 offense for the books not being considered.

IT'S ABOUT STARTING OUR WORSE QB ON THE TEAM, over a better QB (is isn't good but is certainly loads better than the steaming pile Nate showed us.

But if your strongest argument is that Tayrod throws 65 yard games every game, then you don't know how players can adjust. That would be like if I thought Pete throws 5 ints every game. Tyrod clearly show he doesn't do that in his career.

For my sanity, admit that that Tyrod's chances were better than Peterman's. You can cheat. Use hindsight.

Answering your own question in your own head is why you think you are always right.   You stated that the Bills will be sitting pretty if Nate did not start the chargers games, I stated they would be sitting pretty if we had a QB for 3 other games.......calm down, control your blind love for 3 and out, and rethink when you reply.

1 minute ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Answering your own question in your own head is why you think you are always right.   You stated that the Bills will be sitting pretty if Nate did not start the chargers games, I stated they would be sitting pretty if we had a QB for 3 other games.......calm down, control your blind love for 3 and out, and rethink when you reply.

I am certainly right lol. This isn't love for "3 and out Tyrod". Hatred for the Peterman decision, and anybody who defends otherwise (after the fact) gets me triggered.

I guess I'm saying were not defending Peterman's start any more than me? But if you're saying we need better quarterbacks on the roster.. Certainly Sherlock. Until then we roll out our best quarterback that doesn't throw 3 picks.

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

so.. yes it is Nate's fault. but read my post and I blame McDermott 100%. It was the dumbest move I've never seen before. Name me another time such a boneheaded move was made lol.

And I can't stress this enough, THE CHARGERS WERE NOT, and ARE NOT that good. We have a better record than them for Christ sakes.

Hate the argument. What if we lost to the glorious Cheifs? Lol a better team than the Chargers numbnuts. Another 5 pick performance, you'd be on your podium "how much would have change with TT starting and losing?"

36 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I apologize for my Peterman crusade folks. I's just something I love debating. Because I'm right.

Side Note: SaviorPeter has rocks for brains.

To the latter Savior is cueless

McD gamblerd and forked up

the bungles and Jets are also lousy teams.  

What excuse is there for that?

TT was not winning and McD tried and failed.   

Sucks for us all around.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I am certainly right lol. This isn't love for "3 and out Tyrod". Hatred for the Peterman decision, and anybody who defends otherwise (after the fact) gets me triggered.

I guess I'm saying were not defending Peterman's start any more than me? But if you're saying we need better quarterbacks on the roster.. Certainly Sherlock. Until then we roll out our best quarterback that doesn't throw 3 picks.

And I’m saying 3 and out lovers keep pointing that a ROOKIE in his FIRST start threw 5 picks, ok I get it.  BUT A 7 YEAR VET THREW FOR 53 yards in a game and 65 yards in game in the SAME YEAR and you guys are crowning him.  No he is not the best option.  McD knew that, that’s why he started a ROOKIE during the playoff push.  The BILLS best option is to RUN the ball and pray the DEF does not get tired.....

Edited by CircleTheWagons99

And I’m saying 3 and out lovers keep pointing that a ROOKIE in his FIRST start threw 5 picks, ok I get it.  BUT A 7 YEAR VET THREW FOR 53 yards in a game and 65 yards in game in the SAME YEAR and you guys are crowning him.  No he is not the best option.  McD knew that, that’s why he started a ROOKIE during the playoff push.

nobody's crowning, I've said 3 times against that narrative. He's the best of a bad situation. To your second point, McDermott failed miserably. Despite all that, I've grown to love what he's done this season.

If you think this was a great idea, I challenge you to find another instance in modern era football where a HC has pulled this ****

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

nobody's crowning, I've said 3 times against that narrative. He's the best of a bad situation. To your second point, McDermott failed miserably. Despite all that, I've grown to love what he's done this season.

If you think this was a great idea, I challenge you to find another instance in modern era football where a HC has pulled this ****

Bills benching Flutie for Johnson.....

Bills benching Flutie for Johnson.....

lol is this sarcasm? 

EDIT sorry, an instance where such a quarterback change led to success.

Also Rob Jonson was a big time FA acquisition. I'm talking about no names entering the league. Dig deep down for anything close to a NP move.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

If we invested the money it will take to get Kirk Cousins at QB there is no way we go and get another QB in the first round. I can see 3rd round maybe even reach in the second round. You don't bring in a proven starter like that in his prime to teach a youngster to play the position. That's just silly.

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

lol is this sarcasm? 

EDIT sorry, an instance where such a quarterback change led to success.

Also Rob Jonson was a big time FA acquisition. I'm talking about no names entering the league. Dig deep down for anything close to a NP move.

So just for clarification I posted in your Poll thread.   I did not want to go into this season with TT on the Bills roster.  If the Bills dont make the Playoffs its just a wasted year.   I dont wanna say when because I would like to see a playoff game with the Bills in it but just can see TT folding when the heat is on..

3 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

It wasn't that long ago the fans were yearning for Jeff Tuel to start. In all honesty he dang near beat the chiefs except for that Int in the end zone.

And that was not all on him, Stevie ran his own route.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We can blame Nate and McDermott and Taylors bad 3 games.   

one seriously honest question

who truly expected us to be where we are today?

No one, but this feels like 2004 all over again....

42 minutes ago, elijah said:

Did Tyrod throw for 53 yards against the Saints? Yes. 

Does Tyrod have a 7-5 record as a starter right now and have us in the thick of the playoff race? Yes. 

Does Tyrod have two victories over playoff caliber teams this year (Chiefs, Falcons)? Yes. 

And, if you look at the money situation with Tyrod, I believe we only save $9 million by cutting him.  So the financial guys in the front office arent looking at that $18 million figure, it's all about the 9, and $9M is hella cheap for a starting QB.

No.  If Buffalo picks up Tyrod’s option for 2018, he will cost $18,080,000 against the 2018 salary cap.  If released, his dead cap amount will be 8.4 million.  So, the “financial guys” most definitely are looking at that 18 million figure.  Look it up.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

No.  If Buffalo picks up Tyrod’s option for 2018, he will cost $18,080,000 against the 2018 salary cap.  If released, his dead cap amount will be 8.4 million.  So, the “financial guys” most definitely are looking at that 18 million figure.  Look it up.

yeah, you just proved my point. he counts $8M against the cap regardless, so by cutting him we'd be saving $10M. 

Essentially we're looking at if he's worth that $10M figure because he's already due the $8M regardless. 

Just now, elijah said:

yeah, you just proved my point. he counts $8M against the cap regardless, so by cutting him we'd be saving $10M. 

Essentially we're looking at if he's worth that $10M figure because he's already due the $8M regardless. 

That 10 million is A LOT of cap room for a team with so many needs.  That is my point.  Why spend that additional money on what we already know is a below-average to average QB?  Draft one early, bring in a cheap vet, and keep Peterman around.  It’s common sense man!  Jeez....

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That 10 million is A LOT of cap room for a team with so many needs.  That is my point.  Why spend that additional money on what we already know is a below-average to average QB?  Draft one early, bring in a cheap vet, and keep Peterman around.  It’s common sense man!  Jeez....

Because that below to average QB will be our best chance to win next year unless we get Josh Rosen or Kirk Cousins, the first being unlikely and the latter seeming unfavorable within the community. 

These coaches want to rebuild, but they want to win at the sometime. Tyrod gives us a better chance at that than any rookie, cheap vet or nathan peterman

4 minutes ago, elijah said:

Because that below to average QB will be our best chance to win next year unless we get Josh Rosen or Kirk Cousins, the first being unlikely and the latter seeming unfavorable within the community. 

These coaches want to rebuild, but they want to win at the sometime. Tyrod gives us a better chance at that than any rookie, cheap vet or nathan peterman

I have to disagree with your last statmant only because there are cheap vets that can easily match and beat TTS numbers, he is really not that great out side of not throwing INTs.

1 minute ago, elijah said:

Agree to disagree, I suppose.  Currently, Tyrod is benefitting from a decent defense that gets a lot of turnovers, a pretty solid running game, and good special teams play (kicker/punter).  Tyrod is not the reason we are winning or losing games.  Currently, he is 26th in passing yards, 25th in passing TD’s, and 19th in QBR.  I think we could do better, and would be willing to take a gamble on a QB in round 1.  

Just now, CircleTheWagons99 said:

I have to disagree with your last statmant only because there are cheap vets that can easily match and beat TTS numbers, he is really not that great out side of not throwing INTs.

Exactly!