A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game

Virgil

4 hours ago, Pbomb said:

Deep ball sucked last year too with goodwin woods and watkins. 

Watkins wasn't on the field half of last year - and played on a broken foot when he was. You do remember that, right? 

Over the past two seasons, the (15) games when Watkins & Woods both played, Taylor's numbers were :  63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

Taking note of that 8.25 ypa : If you go over to NFL Statistics to see how that lines up with this season's (15) game averages, you find only Sam Bradford, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Deshaun Watson with a higher yards per attempt (obviously all of them having truncated seasons). Next is Tom Brady, at 8.1 ypa.

That suggests the deep ball didn't "suck" when Taylor actually had NFL-grade receivers on the field.......  

1 hour ago, grb said:

Watkins wasn't on the field half of last year - and played on a broken foot when he was. You do remember that, right? 

Over the past two seasons, the (15) games when Watkins & Woods both played, Taylor's numbers were :  63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

Taking note of that 8.25 ypa : If you go over to NFL Statistics to see how that lines up with this season's (15) game averages, you find only Sam Bradford, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Deshaun Watson with a higher yards per attempt (obviously all of them having truncated seasons). Next is Tom Brady, at 8.1 ypa.

That suggests the deep ball didn't "suck" when Taylor actually had NFL-grade receivers on the field.......  

Benjamin and matthews did just fine in other places but now they arent nfl grade wrs? How many of those numbers are from tyrods first year when he did play good. Last two years he has not. You can blame the wrs all you want, i think it has more to do with teams figuring out tyrod and the fact he just isnt that good

39 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Benjamin and matthews did just fine in other places but now they arent nfl grade wrs? How many of those numbers are from tyrods first year when he did play good. Last two years he has not. You can blame the wrs all you want, i think it has more to do with teams figuring out tyrod and the fact he just isnt that good

First of all, we were talking about the deep ball : Matthews is a number 2 or 3 possession receiver, ideally in the slot. On Benjamin's value as a deep receiver I don't claim certain knowledge, but he's barely been on the same field with Taylor - even counting Sunday's limping performance. As for teams "figuring out" TT - or his statistic being front-loaded - are you serious ?!? Exactly how "front-loaded" would they have to put up an 8.25 ypa average over fifteen games? Is it your theory Taylor averaged 12ypa until those gosh-darn teams "figured him out" half-way, then the number dropped precipitously down to 4.5? 

I can provide you this : Taylor averaged over 8ypa thru his first twelve games with Watkins and Woods both playing, so there wasn't any drop off from 12 to 15. Maybe the teams "figured him out" somewhere in the middle - but then forgot. I guess it's a theory, right? 

3 minutes ago, grb said:

First of all, we were talking about the deep ball : Matthews is a number 2 or 3 possession receiver, ideally in the slot. On Benjamin's value as a deep receiver I don't claim certain knowledge, but he's barely been on the same field with Taylor - even counting Sunday's limping performance. As for teams "figuring out" TT - or his statistic being front-loaded - are you serious ?!? Exactly how "front-loaded" would they have to put up an 8.25 ypa average over fifteen games? Is it your theory Taylor averaged 12ypa until those gosh-darn teams "figured him out" half-way, then the number dropped precipitously down to 4.5? 

I can provide you this : Taylor averaged over 8ypa thru his first twelve games with Watkins and Woods both playing, so there wasn't any drop off from 12 to 15. Maybe the teams "figured him out" somewhere in the middle - but then forgot. I guess it's a theory, right? 

Im saying his best stats are from his first year and he regressed last year and now again this year. Im guessing that has alot to do with defensive coordinaters figuring out good game plans to stop him. 

But i guess your saying all we need are good wrs and tyrod is a franchise qb

13 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Im saying his best stats are from his first year and he regressed last year and now again this year. Im guessing that has alot to do with defensive coordinaters figuring out good game plans to stop him. 

Or it could be the fact that Watkins was hurt for the majority of last year and Woods was hurt for part of it.  We had a couple games with guys off the street starting at receiver 1 and 2 IIRC.  Probably a little of both.  Tyrod isn't Tom Brady but I don't see how people can deny that better receivers do matter.  

3 hours ago, Pbomb said:

Well, nice weapons have made Case Keenum seem pretty "franchise", and there are people in this forum calling for him to be signed by the Bills. I wonder how he'd fare with an o-line often sturdy as wet toilet paper, a running game which disappears entirely whole games, and a revolving cast of receivers like Deonte Thompson, Brandon Tate, and Andre Holmes. Dak Prescott seemed pretty "franchise", but pull a few pieces from his stellar supporting cast and suddenly he looks a lot more mortal. Speaking of looking mortal, there's another ongoing thread about Derek Carr who is (of course) pretty "franchise - yet is having problems this year. Per the general thread consensus, it's the fault of poor pass protection. Can such a thing be possible? 

As noted, Taylor had Watkins and Woods to throw to most of his first year and a bit less than half of his second year. This season he's had nothing close to that grade of target and has also seen the team's running game atrophy due to scheme change / line injury. Plus pass protection has even worsened. Funny how those developments map so closely to your account of Taylor "regressing", because teams "figured him out". Must be a complete coincidence.........

Edited by grb

23 hours ago, Virgil said:

5 - Cornerback depth - I know that this will make a few people want to throw up on here, but we need to draft or sign more DB's in the offseason.  Our pass coverage drops off dramatically when EJ Gaines leaves the field.  Johnson is a liability in coverage and our 3 game losing stream occurred when we were down 1 of our 2 starters.  I'm not blaming it on solely that, but the defensive play changes immediately.  We need to shore the depth up here.

6 - Defensive Containment/Tackling - If there's one thing that worries me the most about next weeks game against the Pats and our 2nd biggest issue on defense, it's the poor tackling and holding to our zones on defense containment.  So many big plays today were because of poor angles and bad tackling.  The Pats live off of taking advantage of these mistakes and we will get crushed if we keep that up.  I can't even count the number of plays I thought were stopped in the backfield only to have it be turned up downfield for a big gain.

All I want for Christmas is a Win over the Pats and broken Brady face.

Go Bills!!!!

Overall great write-up, especially under the circumstances.

I refer to points 5 and 6 on your list... My observation is that the linebackers are a constant source of consternation.  Would upgrades at linebacker help to address these two issues?

We also have identical Christmas lists.:beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, grb said:

Well, nice weapons have made Case Keenum seem pretty "franchise", and there are people in this forum calling for him to be signed by the Bills. I wonder how he'd fare with an o-line often sturdy as wet toilet paper, a running game which disappears entirely whole games, and a revolving cast of receivers like Deonte Thompson, Brandon Tate, and Andre Holmes. Dak Prescott seemed pretty "franchise", but pull a few pieces from his stellar supporting cast and suddenly he looks a lot more mortal. Speaking of looking mortal, there's another ongoing thread about Derek Carr who is (of course) pretty "franchise - yet is having problems this year. Per the general thread consensus, it's the fault of poor pass protection. Can such a thing be possible? 

As noted, Taylor had Watkins and Woods to throw to most of his first year and a bit less than half of his second year. This season he's had nothing close to that grade of target and has also seen the team's running game atrophy due to scheme change / line injury. Plus pass protection has even worsened. Funny how those developments map so closely to your account of Taylor "regressing", because teams "figured him out". Must be a complete coincidence.........

I know its always everyones else fault

On 12/17/2017 at 10:56 PM, re enlightener said:

the female announcer  was so irritating, and she didnt know anymore than the current stats, she said Zay was tt's go to receiver for example.  screw equal rights, get someone who doesnt sound like a 14 yo man boy.

Technically he is tho, he gets the most targets he just doesn't make enough plays to leadin stats