Was wondering if anyone could clarify something

Buffalo03

So I was playing around with the ESPN Playoff Machine and I found one particular scenario interesting. I'll get to that in a moment but first

We are going to obviously need to take at least 3 of the last 4. We might need to take all 4 but 3 of the last 4 still puts us in a pretty good position

We can make the playoffs at 9-7 even if the Ravens go 10-6 as long as the Titans go 9-7 as well. I think it's possible the Titans go 9-7 they have the Cardinals this week in AZ. I think the Cardinals have a shot at this game. If the Cardinals are able to take it, the Titans then have the 49ers, Rams and Jags. I could see them losing 3 of the next 4 more than I can see the Ravens losing 3 of their next 4

If us and the Titans go 9-7 we have the tie breaker

The scenario I find interesting is, lets say us, the Ravens and the Chiefs all finish 9-7 and the Chargers win the division. Somehow the Chiefs would get the 5th seed and the Ravens the 6th seed. I don't know how this is possible considering we have the head to head with KC. So if we both finish with the same record we should be in front of them.

Does anyone know how this is possible? Or could it be possible the playoff machine is wrong?

In your Titans scenario, if both the Bills and Titans finish 9-7 (highly unlikely because the Titans would have to implode with 1-3 finish) the Titans one of the three losses would have to come against the Jags. That is the only way we would finish with a better conference record then the Titans.

In you other scenario it probably comes down to common games. I believe all three teams would have 7-5 conference records. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

So I was playing around with the ESPN Playoff Machine and I found one particular scenario interesting. I'll get to that in a moment but first

We are going to obviously need to take at least 3 of the last 4. We might need to take all 4 but 3 of the last 4 still puts us in a pretty good position

We can make the playoffs at 9-7 even if the Ravens go 10-6 as long as the Titans go 9-7 as well. I think it's possible the Titans go 9-7 they have the Cardinals this week in AZ. I think the Cardinals have a shot at this game. If the Cardinals are able to take it, the Titans then have the 49ers, Rams and Jags. I could see them losing 3 of the next 4 more than I can see the Ravens losing 3 of their next 4

If us and the Titans go 9-7 we have the tie breaker

The scenario I find interesting is, lets say us, the Ravens and the Chiefs all finish 9-7 and the Chargers win the division. Somehow the Chiefs would get the 5th seed and the Ravens the 6th seed. I don't know how this is possible considering we have the head to head with KC. So if we both finish with the same record we should be in front of them.

Does anyone know how this is possible? Or could it be possible the playoff machine is wrong?

It's possible because the only way for head to head to count in a 3 way tie is if one team beat the other two or if one team lost to the other two. If those three teams all get to 9-7 it will probably come down to strength of victory, which changes constantly.

Three or more teams
(Note: If two teams remain tied after the third step or other teams are eliminated, tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-team format.)
1. Apply division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked team in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild-card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one team has defeated each of the others or if one team has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.