Why are defensive backs so short?

Watching White's battle with Gronk today, I kept thinking Gronk looks like a head taller than him. Sure enough when I checked the stats Gronk is a full 7" taller than White. When I looked at the other DB's on the Bills they are all about 5ft10" to 6FT. Somebody many years ago was trying to explain this to me an said they get smaller DB's in football because they are faster than tall guys and have great jumping ability. That being said how does this logic still apply? I mean everybody is fast today, even the Linemen with their incredible girths are faster than some of the RB's in the 80s! So why aren't the DB's now fast and TALL? How in the hell can you cover guys like Gronk when he has that height advantage? White did the best he could today and the INT was a great play on his part but he was seriously physically overmatched. Does anyone have tall DB's? 

Guys that are 5'9-6'1 tend to make better Dbs as they have more agility and twitch speed. They are trying to mirror the offense so they need to be quicker and more agile to catch up  and stay with a man running in a unknown direction:

Edited by GoBills!
  • Like (+1) 1

Prediction: the time will come. Tall WRs and TEs have now been the unstoppable weapon for about 20 years, going back to the entrance of Tony Gonzalez - the first prominent converted basketball player - into the NFL. Where are the tall/athletic players on defense? In the 1970s, Ted Hendricks was a fantastic linebacker. He was 6'7", essentially Gronk sized.  There are no Ted Hendrickses playing defense now.  There will be. At some point we'll see the 6'7" athletic guy with bad hands who coaches realize has more value in covering a Gronk than in trying to be a Gronk.  I'm amazed it's taken this long. It will correct.  It always does ...

These are rare athletes and rare athletes are even more rare in high school and college than the NFL. These type of players can make a teams offense at those levels. If a player is 6 foot+ and has the agility and acceleration to play CB he is most likely going to be developed as a WR. That is so long as his hands aren't made from stone. 

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Prediction: the time will come. Tall WRs and TEs have now been the unstoppable weapon for about 20 years, going back to the entrance of Tony Gonzalez - the first prominent converted basketball player - into the NFL. Where are the tall/athletic players on defense? In the 1970s, Ted Hendricks was a fantastic linebacker. He was 6'7", essentially Gronk sized.  There are no Ted Hendrickses playing defense now.  There will be. At some point we'll see the 6'7" athletic guy with bad hands who coaches realize has more value in covering a Gronk than in trying to be a Gronk.  I'm amazed it's taken this long. It will correct.  It always does ...

I agree with this, I think some defenses have started to turn the corner and emphasized having size on the corners. Be it height or a larger than usual wing span for their height.

1 hour ago, Foreigner said:

The winning teams have the good ones who are tall enough to get the job done.

Except that they don't . No team has a player to cover Gronkowski one on one and win consistently. Taller players can't flip their hips as well. WRs are running forward, and taller db's have more trouble shadowing them. DBs are just not usually as tall as bigger WRs and they don't need to be. There aren't enough accurate QBs to go around in the league, and most don't make tons of perfect throws. The winning teams have the elite QBs that can consistently put the ball in a tight spot where even good to great coverage isn't good enough.