Sunday: Face-To-Face with the Drought

theRalph

The Bills come face-to-face with The Drought this Sunday. Getting a 7th win this Sunday doesn't put the Bills in the postseason. Sure, it will help loads based on the schedule, but this Sunday is about The Drought. New England and Tom Shady have, of course, been at the root of The Drought since it started. And while most define The Drought as "not making the postseason", The Drought is, more precisely, "not beating New England". Their domination of the Bills is the common thread that weaves through the 17 years.

There's a belief that these Bills can end The Drought. It's a weak AFC and 9-7 may even get a berth. But at the heart of the matter is the New England Patriots. They're the lynchpin of the AFC and The Drought. McDermott knows this and and knows the need for the win in this spot. There's even a conspiracy theory that McDermott has been setting up the Pats with the losing streak and QB juggling. That's a bit far out, but I wonder what he'd do to beat New England...

The timing is right and the stage is certainly set with the streaking Patriots visiting what will be an insane Ralph (New Era) and the Bills off the road win in the Draft Pick Bowl.  

As uncanny as the Bills drought is, it makes sense that it might be broken in a season where it was least expected. About as uncanny as the underdog Bills whipping the Patriots on a December Sunday that's meaningful. 

The Bills have an opportunity and are capable of ending The Drought. This weekend. Just got a feeling.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You can't count those games. One where he's suspended and the other was a final game sit down. When's the last time we have legitimately beaten NE with Brady?

September 25, 2011, the Bills came back from a 21–0 deficit to defeat the Patriots 34–31

20 minutes ago, theRalph said:

The Bills come face-to-face with The Drought this Sunday. Getting a 7th win this Sunday doesn't put the Bills in the postseason. Sure, it will help loads based on the schedule, but this Sunday is about The Drought. New England and Tom Shady have, of course, been at the root of The Drought since it started. And while most define The Drought as "not making the postseason", The Drought is, more precisely, "not beating New England". Their domination of the Bills is the common thread that weaves through the 17 years.

There's a belief that these Bills can end The Drought. It's a weak AFC and 9-7 may even get a berth. But at the heart of the matter is the New England Patriots. They're the lynchpin of the AFC and The Drought. McDermott knows this and and knows the need for the win in this spot. There's even a conspiracy theory that McDermott has been setting up the Pats with the losing streak and QB juggling. That's a bit far out, but I wonder what he'd do to beat New England...

The timing is right and the stage is certainly set with the streaking Patriots visiting what will be an insane Ralph (New Era) and the Bills off the road win in the Draft Pick Bowl.  

As uncanny as the Bills drought is, it makes sense that it might be broken in a season where it was least expected. About as uncanny as the underdog Bills whipping the Patriots on a December Sunday that's meaningful. 

The Bills have an opportunity and are capable of ending The Drought. This weekend. Just got a feeling.

The highlighted has been said about upcoming NE at BUF match ups many times.

It usually amounts to nothing, as NE quickly dominates and takes our crowd completely out of the game. 

Any suggestion that events this year have transpired pursuant to a master plan to set up the Patriots is just absurd. 

Here is what we know: the Patriots will come in and play their game, and play it well.

The only question is if we can somehow shut down their O while scoring TDs ourselves.

I don't give us much chance, but this is why they play the games on Sunday.  The game is also going to be on TV in my market, so I'm excited! 

I would love to see us find a way to win...but...

NE rarely loses these trap games, unlike the Steelers or Andy Reid's teams. NE has been giving up almost 5 yards/carry and they give up a lot of yards. The defense is stingy with points though. 20 points/game. That includes the debacles against KC, CAR, and Houston. Games 5-11 they are near the top in scoring defense and that's the defensive stat that matters. That also means that NE has to put together a lot of long drives to score. A bad bounce here, a drop there, a bad call, and who knows? This could be a game. 

We have a better chance of beating the pats in ne than in Buffalo provided that the pats have clinched home field advantage. I see us at an 8-8 finish and the playoff drought continues.  In the off season we will unload Glenn and McCoy and get our franchise quarterback.  I see playoffs in three years and it will be a deep run. We will win the east and be in the playoff run for at least five years in a row.  Mcbeane process will work.  He is building a franchise 

SMH. This isn't an exercise in Stats 101 by counting wins against the Patriots. The point was that the Patriots are an embodiment of The Drought. Their domination of the Bills is at the very heart of The Drought.

Also, many commenters are ignoring my noting the timing of this game. Most of the Bills' wins quoted the comments are either early in the season or late, when the Patriots sit starters. Its unusual for the Bills to meet them this late for the first game. 

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...September 2003 whitewash.....31-zip.....sure we lost up there by the same 31-0, but I'd take the same split in 2017...........

Yup. I believe that was right after Lawyer Malloy was released by the Patriots days before the season started and signed with the Bills. We beat them 31-0 the first time we played them that season. 

Then in the second game against the Patriots that season, they beat us by the exact same score -  31-0. 

I'd love it if we could somehow split our 2 games with the Pats this year. It doesn't even have to be a shutout! I'm not picky... lol. 

I want the Bills to beat a Brady led Patriots team before Father Time does. And many times. But I do shake my head at the fans disregarding the 16-0 whooping the Bills gave the Patriots at THEIR stadium as not important! Sure Brady wasn't there but the Cheats were 3-0 and anyway, with all the Bills QB woes, I find it weird to not see that without Brady that team is suddenly down quite a few notches.

Edited by Jerome007