Again the need for 300 yards Passing/game

Billsfan1972

Just now, xRUSHx said:

I would love to have balanced attack as well but first you need a QB that can throw, let's say maybe one that can get more then 54 yards in 4 quarters

Just now, xRUSHx said:

I would love to have balanced attack as well but first you need a QB that can throw, let's say maybe one that can get more then 54 yards in 4 quarters

That was a very bad TT performance.  Led to giving Peterman a shot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That was a very bad TT performance.  Led to giving Peterman a shot.

Right on man. HS stat of our starting QB in the big league, he deserved to be sat after that stinker

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So the 19th ranked DVOA defense is the reason? Got it :blink:

I know the D is not good enough either, we all know this but some still are holding out hope on Tyrod as a starter. Sadly NE game is next up sure hope he can get over that 50 yard mark.

Edited by xRUSHx

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is there a reason that Tyrod’s winning percentage is higher this year than 300 yard passers? Asking for a friend

300 yard passers usually are trying to carry their team in a deficit.

Easy peasy.

We all know the 300 yard barometer is an imperfect measure of a QB's ability to "beat you with his arm."  There are QB's in the NFL who can beat you with his arm in some or most of their games, and there are QB's in the NFL who you take your chances that they won't beat you with their arm.  

And we know what group our QB resides comfortably in.  The quibbling over the stat is silly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Actually, the Bills pretty consistently do establish the pass early in games, it's just they don't stick with it once they get a lead because they want to run out the clock.

This is why I want to bang my head against a wall with some people who adamantly argue that Taylor isn't a serious contributor to these wins.

It's like people don't bother watching games and just look at the box score in the end.

1st half

15/24 for 121 yards and 1 TD

We went into the half up by 10 points: 13-3

2nd half

4/5 for 62 yards

There's an ebb and flow to the conservative way McDermott and Dennison call their plays.  In a 1 score game, Taylor passes more.  In a 2 score game, we pass a lot less.

The Bills went up by 2 scores (10 points) just under 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter.  Up to that point, Taylor threw 16 passes in 27 plays.

Then the Bills went up by 2 scores and on their next drive and he only threw 3 passes on 12 plays.

Then the Chiefs kicked a FG and came within 1 score and the Bills got the ball back with less than 2 minutes and Taylor threw 6 passes in 7 plays to lead the team to a FG to go up by 10 points.

Then 5 passes in the 2nd half.

Only 71 of Taylor's 308 passes this year have come when the Bills have been leading, but only 12 of those passes have come when this team has been up by 2 or more scores (9 points or more). 

We've run 76 offensive plays up by 9 points or more. He's thrown the ball just 15.8% of the plays we've been up by that much.

We've run 688 total offensive plays... 612 have been with us trailing or tied or up by only one score. 296 of those plays have been passes.

When "it's a game," there's clearly a plan to throw the ball as Taylor throws the ball 48.4% of the time.

When the Bills have a solid lead, he only throws it 15.8% of the time.

This is good statistical analysis.  Very interesting trends from McD and Rico. 

I think this shows that they are too predictable with the lead, especially considering how careful TT is with the ball when he does throw.  I would want the 15.8% to be up at least 10%.  You have to keep the defense honest.  

1 minute ago, dulles said:

I think this shows that they are too predictable with the lead, especially considering how careful TT is with the ball when he does throw.  I would want the 15.8% to be up at least 10%.  You have to keep the defense honest.  

They did similar last year too. Pass early run later.  

A bit later you get behind and ....

12 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Right on man. HS stat of our starting QB in the big league, he deserved to be sat after that stinker

I know the D is not good enough either, we all know this but some still are holding out hope on Tyrod as a starter. Sadly NE game is next up sure hope he can get over that 50 yard mark.

No one is holding out hope of anything. No one has showed a correlation between 300 yard passing games and winning. Tyrod Taylor has a higher winning percentage this year than 300 yard passers. Arguing otherwise is like arguing that the sun isn’t hot. You can’t debate it. Why are we talking about 300 yard passing games when it is totally irrelevant? We should be talking about holding teams under 24 points. That clearly correlates with wins and losses.

11 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Easy peasy.

We all know the 300 yard barometer is an imperfect measure of a QB's ability to "beat you with his arm."  There are QB's in the NFL who can beat you with his arm in some or most of their games, and there are QB's in the NFL who you take your chances that they won't beat you with their arm.  

And we know what group our QB resides comfortably in.  The quibbling over the stat is silly.

Our QB is 21-18. He must be beating some people.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one is holding out hope of anything. No one has showed a correlation between 300 yard passing games and winning. Tyrod Taylor has a higher winning percentage this year than 300 yard passers. Arguing otherwise is like arguing that the sun isn’t hot. You can’t debate it. Why are we talking about 300 yard passing games when it is totally irrelevant? We should be talking about holding teams under 24 points. That clearly correlates with wins and losses.

Our QB is 21-18. He must be beating some people.

You keep asking why we talk about 300 yard passing games and I'm telling you why.  

Do you think opposing NFL GM's are worried about TT's arm as much as, let's say, the top 2/3rds of the NFL QB's?

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Actually, the Bills pretty consistently do establish the pass early in games, it's just they don't stick with it once they get a lead because they want to run out the clock.

This is why I want to bang my head against a wall with some people who adamantly argue that Taylor isn't a serious contributor to these wins.

It's like people don't bother watching games and just look at the box score in the end.

1st half

15/24 for 121 yards and 1 TD

We went into the half up by 10 points: 13-3

2nd half

4/5 for 62 yards

There's an ebb and flow to the conservative way McDermott and Dennison call their plays.  In a 1 score game, Taylor passes more.  In a 2 score game, we pass a lot less.

The Bills went up by 2 scores (10 points) just under 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter.  Up to that point, Taylor threw 16 passes in 27 plays.

Then the Bills went up by 2 scores and on their next drive and he only threw 3 passes on 12 plays.

Then the Chiefs kicked a FG and came within 1 score and the Bills got the ball back with less than 2 minutes and Taylor threw 6 passes in 7 plays to lead the team to a FG to go up by 10 points.

Then 5 passes in the 2nd half.

Only 71 of Taylor's 308 passes this year have come when the Bills have been leading, but only 12 of those passes have come when this team has been up by 2 or more scores (9 points or more). 

We've run 76 offensive plays up by 9 points or more. He's thrown the ball just 15.8% of the plays we've been up by that much.

We've run 688 total offensive plays... 612 have been with us trailing or tied or up by only one score. 296 of those plays have been passes.

When "it's a game," there's clearly a plan to throw the ball as Taylor throws the ball 48.4% of the time.

When the Bills have a solid lead, he only throws it 15.8% of the time.

Great analysis.  Sad that the Bills are so sure of themselves when up a paltry 9 points.  

The thread was pointing out that opposing coaches do not prepare for the Bills to throw the ball, the line is stacked and McCoy and the running game suffers, the Bills have too many difficult downs.  Then when we do have a 7-9 first down play, it is a run on second and often for no gain or a loss.

Finally once inside the opponents 35 it's about running down the clock and the Bills setting up for a fg.

So hard to watch this offense.

14 minutes ago, dulles said:

So around 17.38%?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

You keep asking why we talk about 300 yard passing games and I'm telling you why.  

Do you think opposing NFL GM's are worried about TT's arm as much as, let's say, the top 2/3rds of the NFL QB's?

He's got a good arm when asked to use it.

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Nope, but it doesn’t matter. That’s the point. The goal is to win games and that’s what they worry about. KC was using 2 spies on Tyrod last week on certain plays. Phil Rivers throws for 300 yards a lot but they defend him differently. Both ways work and that’s why Tyrod is 21-18 despite rarely throwing for 300 yards.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, but it doesn’t matter. That’s the point. The goal is to win games and that’s what they worry about. KC was using 2 spies on Tyrod last week on certain plays. Phil Rivers throws for 300 yards a lot but they defend him differently. Both ways work and that’s why Tyrod is 21-18 despite rarely throwing for 300 yards.

That's just not true.  At all. And you know that.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

That's just not true.  At all. And you know that.

It doesn’t!! For one he has a higher winning percentage than 300 yard passers this year. It’s factually false. Additionally, I just laid it out more strategically.  Go back and debate my last point. Instead of saying “it’s not true, and you know that,” prove it. 

It doesn’t!! For one he has a higher winning percentage than 300 yard passers this year. It’s factually false. Additionally, I just laid it out more strategically.  Go back and debate my last point. Instead of saying “it’s not true, and you know that,” prove it. 

Holy !@#$ dude.

36 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Easy peasy.

It's like being trapped on a carousel.

Edited by jmc12290

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Holy !@#$ dude.

It's like being trapped on a carousel.

So it matters because you say it does? This is a carousel of stupidity. You are using opinions to argue facts. “300 yard passers are usually trying to carry their teams in a deficit.” What percentage of 300 yard passers is that true for? 

So it matters because you say it does? This is a carousel of stupidity. You are using opinions to argue facts. “300 yard passers are usually trying to carry their teams in a deficit.” What percentage of 300 yard passers is that true for? 

I called the stat imperfect.  I said

46 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Easy peasy.

And yet I got:

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I could not care less that he has a higher winning percentage than 300 yard passers this year. Not a single drop.  We know Taylor's quality of a passer, the 300 yard stat's imperfections notwithstanding.  Propping it up as a sad strawman to beat down is futile.  

28 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You told me it doesn't matter that our QB isn't as big of a threat to pass as two-thirds of the league's QB's. That's wrong.  QB is the most important position in the NFL and passing is kinda important to QB play.  

Now respond to this with a 300 yard stat so I can get off this crazy ride.

Edited by jmc12290

9 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I called the stat imperfect.  I said

And yet I got:

I could not care less that he has a higher winning percentage than 300 yard passers this year. Not a single drop.  We know Taylor's quality of a passer, the 300 yard stat's imperfections notwithstanding.  Propping it up as a sad strawman to beat down is futile.  

You told me it doesn't matter that our QB isn't as big of a threat to pass as two-thirds of the league's QB's. That's wrong.  QB is the most important position in the NFL and passing is kinda important to QB play.  

Now respond to this with a 300 yard stat so I can get off this crazy ride.

You are still missing the point. Passing yards are totally irrelevant and it hasn’t been proven otherwise. It’s a weak argument used around here to discredit Taylor. He’s an average QB. He’s a below average passer. His mobility is elite and offsets his shortcomings. A QB isn’t about passing yards. It’s about decision making, playmaking, throwing, running, hanging onto the football, managing the clock, etc... It is the total package.

Points are what matters. When a team uses 2 guys to spy the QB it opens up the field for others. Dennison hasn’t been able to take advantage of it but they were top 10 scoring and DVOA over the last 2 years. It isn’t because of passing yards. It’s because of mismatches. You have to defend Steph Curry differently than Shaq in his prime. Both are effective. 

If if we are talking about things that matter, this is way more important: 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

8 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Need to be able to Pass and Run with some degree of success, and we've struggled with each this year.

Here's a list of QBs averaging less than 220 passing yards per game this year:
Eli Manning

Cam Newton

Andy Dalton

Dak Prescott

Blake Bortles

Tyrod Taylor

Brett Hundley

Tom Savage

Ryan Fitzpatrick

DeShone Kizer

Jay Cutler

Joe Flacco

Mitch Trubisky

----

Matt Moore

Mike Glennon

Brian Hoyer

Drew Stanton

Why did you arbitrarily pick 220 yards? Bigger named QBs to fit your agenda, to paint your boy Tyrod in a better light? If you picked under 200 yards( which everyone would do and  makes way more sense), Tyrod sits at 184, the big names go away and doesn't fit your agenda as nicely. The under 200 yards list is Kizer, Cutler, Flacco, Hoyer, Hundley, Trubisky, Savage and even Aaron Rodgers (though he only started 6 games). 

You just can't handle that Tyrod stinks and is in the bottom with the also rans and rookies, save Rodgers. The first stage is acceptance, let it happen. 

The love affair with this guy is unprecedented and down right creepy. I've never seen the excuses and fabrications made to make this guy look better than he is, it's bizarre. 

Edited by LarryMadman

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You are still missing the point. Passing yards are totally irrelevant and it hasn’t been proven otherwise. It’s a weak argument used around here to discredit Taylor. He’s an average QB. He’s a below average passer. His mobility is elite and offsets his shortcomings. A QB isn’t about passing yards. It’s about decision making, playmaking, throwing, running, hanging onto the football, managing the clock, etc... It is the total package.

Points are what matters. When a team uses 2 guys to spy the QB it opens up the field for others. Dennison hasn’t been able to take advantage of it but they were top 10 scoring and DVOA over the last 2 years. It isn’t because of passing yards. It’s because of mismatches. You have to defend Steph Curry differently than Shaq in his prime. Both are effective. 

I can assure you, I'm not missing the point.

I don't know if you noticed, but we're 30th in passing TD's.  Does that affect points?

We're 30th in passing yards.  Does that affect our ability to get down field and score TD's and FG's?

Passing yards are irrelevant to 9th grade statisticians.  Nobody else.

Side note: "A QB isn't about passing yards... it's about throwing..."  LOL.

Edited by jmc12290

3 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Why did you arbitrarily pick 220 yards? Bigger named QBs to fit your agenda, to paint your boy Tyrod in a better light? If you picked under 200 yards( which everyone would do and  makes way more sense), Tyrod sits at 184, the big names go away and doesn't fit your agenda as nicely. The under 200 yards list is Kizer, Cutler, Flacco, Hoyer, Hundley, Trubisky, Savage and even Aaron Rodgers (though he only started 6 games). 

You just can't handle that Tyrod stinks and is in the bottom with the also rans and rookies, save Rodgers. The first stage is acceptance, let it happen. 

The love affair with this guy is unprecedented and down right creepy. I've never seen the excuses and fabrications made to make this guy look better than he is, it's bizarre. 

21-18 for an average at best roster isn't terrible at all. In fact, if they finish 9-7, TT will have the most wins-24-of any QB during the drought. he is a good stop gap till the Bills get better. the creepy thing is the crusaders who have an infatuation of hate towards one player, even in wins. this should be a happy week after a nice road win. But there are those unhappy that we won.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

I can assure you, I'm not missing the point.

I don't know if you noticed, but we're 30th in passing TD's.  Does that affect points?

We're 30th in passing yards.  Does that affect our ability to get down field and score TD's and FG's?

Passing yards are irrelevant to 9th grade statisticians.  Nobody else.

Tyrod was 24th in passing TDs year and they were a top 10 scoring offense (higher before week 17). It doesn’t matter how you move the ball. It’s baffling that you still can’t follow that.  That’s why no one in sports worries about gross stats. They don’t tell a story. There isn’t a team in football looking at passing yards or rushing yards to analyze a situation. They look at, and care about, data points that influence outcomes of games. They play chess, not checkers.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Hard to pass for 300 yards when your OC and HC doesn't allow your QB to do jack squat when they get a lead. 

I would have liked a safe pass play called in that last series to get a first down and end the game there.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Tyrod was 24th in passing TDs year and they were a top 10 scoring offense (higher before week 17). It doesn’t matter how you move the ball. It’s baffling that you still can’t follow that.  That’s why no one in sports worries about gross stats. They don’t tell a story. There isn’t a team in football looking at passing yards or rushing yards to analyze a situation. They look at, and care about, data points that influence outcomes of games. They play chess, not checkers.

I remember last season posters claiming his rushing TDs were not as good because they were not passing TDs. It's bizarre.

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They would've been higher if TT passed for more yards and TD's.

How do you not understand this?

Stop avoiding the questions.

Please answer.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Edited by jmc12290

Just now, jmc12290 said:

They would've been higher if TT passed for more yards and TD's.

How do you not understand this?

Stop avoiding the questions.

Please answer.

We were 1st in rushing TDs last year can’t you see how that relates to points?!? We were 1st in rushing yards can you not see how that  impacts our ability to get down the field and score?!? This is the stupidest argument anyone has made since the suggestion that we trade Mario Williams for John Skelton. It is the sum of the parts that we need to evaluate not a part. If you don’t see the value that Tyrod provides to the running game I don’t know what to tell you.

You are saying we’d score more if we threw more TDs. That’s true if it doesn’t come at the expense of the running game. If it does it’s a net zero. The same holds true for yards. That’s been the issue from the start. The offense was good the last two years. It isn’t this year. It’s not because of passing yards. It’s because what they did well, they don’t anymore. The main difference is the guy designing the offense and calling the plays.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We were 1st in rushing TDs last year can’t you see how that relates to points?!? We were 1st in rushing yards can you not see how that  impacts our ability to get down the field and score?!? This is the stupidest argument anyone has made since the suggestion that we trade Mario Williams for John Skelton. It is the sum of the parts that we need to evaluate not a part. If you don’t see the value that Tyrod provides to the running game I don’t know what to tell you.

You are saying we’d score more if we threw more TDs. That’s true if it doesn’t come at the expense of the running game. If it does it’s a net zero. The same holds true for yards. That’s been the issue from the start. The offense was good the last two years. It isn’t this year. It’s not because of passing yards. It’s because what they did well, they don’t anymore. The main difference is the guy designing the offense and calling the plays.

Why did the team 2nd in both rushing yards and rushing TD's score more points than us last year?  Why did they have a better points per drive stat?  A better yards per game stat?

Do you want a hint?  It has something to do with them scoring more passing TD's and passing for more yards.  

Edited by jmc12290

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Why did the team 2nd in both rushing yards and rushing TD's score more points than us last year?  Why did they have a better points per drive stat?  A better yards per game stat?

Do you want a hint?  It has something to do with them scoring more passing TD's and passing for more yards.  

400 points was enough to be a playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

We were still in the top 10 in scoring. You can always be better but a top 10 scoring offense in consecutive years should be enough to win. The Bills scored the exact same amount of points as the Steelers last year and that includes the EJ clunker in week 17. They are in the 15 spots lower with largely the same personnel. That’s not because of the passing game. It is pretty much the same. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We were still in the top 10 in scoring. You can always be better but a top 10 scoring offense in consecutive years should be enough to win. They are in the 15 spots lower with largely the same personnel. That’s not because of the passing game. It is pretty much the same. 

How could that be?  You just spent a page arguing the gross numbers sucked in the passing game because the running game was cooking.  Now the running game is suffering and we aren't seeing that effect in reverse?  Shouldn't the Bills have higher grossing numbers to compensate?  Why aren't they?  Could it maybe relate to the fact our QB isn't all that great at passing?  A fact that you said "doesn't matter," while we limp along as the 22nd offense in points scored?

Also "should be enough to win" sounds like eliminating blame.  If we didn't win enough to make the playoffs, it wasn't "enough."  And this from a guy who says W-L is what matters.  

Edited by jmc12290

Just now, jmc12290 said:

How could that be?  You just spent a page arguing the gross numbers sucked in the passing game because the running game was cooking.  Now the running game is suffering and we aren't seeing that effect in reverse?  Shouldn't the Bills have higher grossing numbers to compensate?  Why aren't they?  Could it maybe relate to the fact our QB isn't all that great at passing?  A fact that you said "doesn't matter," while we limp along as the 22nd offense in points scored?  

He’s the same guy!! Do you see regression?!? I think he’s pretty much the same but if anything many would argue he’s a better passer. The scheme and playcalling is what’s different. 

He’s the same guy!! Do you see regression?!? I think he’s pretty much the same but if anything many would argue he’s a better passer. The scheme and playcalling is what’s different. 

Why don't the Bills have higher passing numbers to compensate for the suffering run game?  A reversal of the phenomenon you assure is the reason for the lackluster passing numbers in 2016 and 2015.

I'll hang up and listen.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Why don't the Bills have higher passing numbers to compensate for the suffering run game?  A reversal of the phenomenon you assure is the reason for the lackluster passing numbers in 2016 and 2015.

I'll hang up and listen.

Because the scheme is bad!! When you have the same guys, a new coach and different results the coaching is the reason. That is so, so, so basic. Are you new to this sports thing? 

Let me ask it it another way, is Shady an average RB now?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Because the scheme is bad!! When you have the same guys, a new coach and different results the coaching is the reason. That is so, so, so basic. Are you new to this sports thing? 

You just told me it was about opportunity.  How do we know the passing scheme wasn't bad in 2016 and 2015?

I’ll ask again is Shady all of a sudden an average player? I never said anything about opportunity. 

You don't contend that our gross passing numbers were low in 2015 and 2016 because our rushing numbers were high and "a rushing TD and passing TD count the same?"

No, he's not.