A measured take on McDermott

10 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I can only laugh when people say things like “if you took away XYZ games”, as if they didn’t happen...

Ok factoring every game in they are the 30th ranked defence instead of having the worst defence. 

Sorry that I cherry picked those stats to make him look like a bad defensive coach..

Edited by billsfan11

13 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Lots of hair on fire posting about McDermott around here today, so I figured I'd add some balance.

Let's start with the personnel moves, good and bad and see if we can dispel the myth that people let go or traded away are going to the playoffs BECAUSE of said people:

1) Watkins: 24 rec, 408 yards, 4 TD on an expiring contract. This move, while universally hated by a certain group of posters is proving to be a good one in my opinion. The guy would have wanted Julio Jones money, while proving to be completely not worth such money.

2) Woods: 47 rec, 703 yards, 4 TD. Unlike watkins, woods is ACTUALLY contributing to his team's success. Letting this guy go was in my opinion a questionable move.  He's a complete player and seems like the kind of guy that McDermott would want. Heart, and football intelligence.

3) Gilmore: 27 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT. Letting this clown go was a good idea. He's hardly contributing to his team's success.

4) Darby: 2 games played, 9 tackles 1 INT. Not really a key contributor for the Eagles, getting something for him was a good move.

5) Dareus: This one seems to really get peoples' panties twisted. Too early to say what the impact is. IF they're able to pick up star latouleleleleleile or whatever his name is, I don't think this will have a long-term negative impact on the team.

6) Gillislee: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Now for incoming guys:

1) Benjamin: this one's a headscratcher for me. If the goal is a teardown to the studs, this move makes no sense.

2) Matthews: Honestly think this was just a throwaway, trading for a pick and an expiring contact for a guy in darby who, as noted above, really hasn't done squat this year.

3) Gaines: I like the guy, but he's brittle.

4) Poyer: resounding success.

5) Hyde: see poyer.

In all, the personnel moves, while controversial, seem to be a net positive. That being said, I think this team lost its sense of direction by winning some flukey games early. What this team needed was a complete insurance arson job, and to gain one of or THE best QB in the draft. I think these guys in charge need time to see what they can do, and I think it's utterly irresponsible to be calling for their heads in YEAR ONE.

They didnt have to keep Watkins after this season.  He needed to prove his worth -- and even if he did and that was going to be for another team who wants to overpay him next year, then fine.  At least we would have had him for this year.

Letting Woods go without trying was a mistake.

Replacing them with Matthews was a net downgrade, and they might not re-sign him anyway.

I get why they traded Darby and I get why they let Gilmore walk away, and Gilislee was replaceable (but they replaced him with Tolbert!).

You didn't mention Ducasse.  I did.  Bad move.

The Dareus move was pathetic.  Try motivating the guy.  That's part of coaching.  That's the move where the defense gave up in my opinion.  Dumping him for a box of donuts is stupid. Look at the run defense since they got rid of him, and I don't care if he was playing only 40% of the snaps.

Hyde and Poyer were good gets.

The bottom line is that they made a lot of holes to fill and they don't have enough time or picks or cap to fill them all.  For each of the past three games (and probably more) they made the team completely uncompetitive.  

Edited by snafu