Mike Waufle talks Bills' DL issues with Buffalo News

JoshBarnett

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Coaches spin it like they want to save their own jobs. Instead of all that nonsense about gaps

just tell it like it is and say we were terrible. The HOF QB did not need to throw it.

Go in the locker room after the game and scream at the defense, and name names to embarress

the guys that did not give it all. How many games in Bills history did the DL give up 300 on the

ground and 500 the last two games.

Nice - I can’t imagine anyone wanting to work for you!

Keyboard Warrior says “just yell at them and berate them - that’ll scare em straight!

I know Dareus was good at taking on double teams and gap control , yet I find it hard to believe his departure was responsible for 

what we witnessed the past two weeks.  I say this because we had already won games with Dareus being in on what , 20-30% of the defensive snaps?  The first game after the trade I think we won and people on here were posting about how much we didn’t miss Dareus. So how does a team that was performing acceptably for 7 weeks against the run completely fall apart? 

I think some personel changes helped contribute to the poor performances. Humber returned to the line up, looked slow, no Frazier admitted this week his hand injury is an issue. Milano had come in and played with a lot of energy and hunger , and he contributed a pick 6 and also was in on other turnovers.  He was coming on and I think reinserting Humber just because he was cleared was a mistake and took a lb off the field who was playing very well. 

I also think the absence of Gaines has hurt the run defense as well as his ability to play zone coverage well. I can think of multiple time S seeing him come up to either make tackles or keep rbs from gaining the corner.  Wright is nowhere near as good in run support. Against the saints I saw him try to throw his left shoulder into Ingram , not even attempt to wrap up , and Ingram bounced off for a larger Run. I think those two personel changes are just as if not more important than losing Dareus. 

One other issue I think we have all seen is how many missed tackles occured during the past two weeks. That was not happening before. I believe thee team was buying into all the hype over the turnovers they were getting and it was being covered everywhere. Any show on the NFL Network and every pregame or post game show kept talking about the huge turnover differential. There was a ton of hype about it before the jets game. It was during that game that it was a recurring issue with no one actually making a secure tackle Before trying to strip the ball. The lbs and safeties were especially guilty of this the past two games. Result has been multiple broken arm tackles and the turnovers that were coming from secure hits FOLLOWED by a second player causing a turnover has suddenly dried up as now the players have gotten away from the basic tackling they had been doing well. That mindset was evident even in the first Saints drive and continued all day. I think it’s obvious the D also was affected by the multitude of three and outs and that also allowed the Saints time and again to have excellent field position while it seemed like the Bills O was always starting behind its own 20. The game had already been decided before the history making 24 straight run plays by the Saints and it just looked like the D wanted the game to end and no one was sellling out to make a stop at that point. The secondary was gun shy after facing untouched rbs hitting them play after play.  I also think white , who had been burned at least three times recently, may be playing the run softer not wanting to give up plays behind him. He had been playing more aggressively I think playing the run before getting burned for the three big plays.  Not a big issue but maybe combined with the personel changes and poor offense had finally lead to the perfect storm of shame we witnessed. 

I can see the O improving this week under Peterman. It can’t do any worse !  That alone has to spill over to help the D. I am encouraged that McD made the switch as I doubt any prior recent coach would have had the balls to make that change right at this point.  Great move !  We don’t have a history of playing well on the west coast , and with San Diego’s d being 6 th against the pass and Rivers playing , I think it’s going to be a hard win.  Hopefully they have stressed tackling and gap control this week and not harped so much on turnovers. It would be encouraging to see Gaines and Milano playing more. I also hope we don’t keep bailing the Chargers offense out with stupid , undisciplined penalties after we did manage to stop them in three downs. While I agree we don’t have elite talent on our D , I still think we have enough talent to compete and since Rivers is unlikely to scramble , hopefully we will rush more than 4 and go after him some. One side note; I read that the Chargers are preparing for Peterman to just be a pocket passer. It would shock me but wouldn’t it be amazing to see Dennison use some rollouts , or some RPO because Peterman looks like he can do more than only be a pocket passer. I doubt they will be emphasizing to keep him in the pocket like they have done to TT. 

6 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

"In the National Football League, there's a lot of moving parts," Waufle said. "Offensively, you have different personnel groups. They have a lot of motions and shifts, and they're trying to create gaps. They're trying to confuse your eyes .

Oh man...

Why not just keep it short and sweet: "In the National Football League, it's hard to win"?

12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hughes has a ton of talent. Dareus had more. Kyle is Kyle. Lawson may or may not be worthy of his draft selection but he has talent. Part of the coach's job is getting players to buy in. Dareus bought in before. He's apparently buying in with the Jags.

Bingo.