Phone issue (android) for all you techies out there

\GoBillsInDallas/

16 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

You need to change the USB settings. 

This is one time that Canadians are helpful

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/Samsung-Galaxy-S3.how_to_change_the_usb_connection_options_on_my

Nope - those options do not show up on my screen when I follow the instructions.

Depending on your Android version this should be found in the settings menu.

On Android 8 it's settings menu, connected devices, USB

If not, you may find it in developer options. To get that in your settings menu (if you already don't have it) is to go to the Android version and find "build number." Once you find it keep tapping on it until you get an on screen message saying you are now a developer. Then go into developer settings and find USB config. A YouTube video is below.

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Samsung Galaxy

• Phone works fine
  • Camera/video works fine
  • Wifi hotspot works fine

Problem - when you connect it to a computer, the computer won't recognize the phone. It will charge the phone, but you can't download anything from the phone, and the internet tethering will not work.

Note that, in an addition to everything else pointed out, that your service provider *cough*Verizon*cough* can !@#$ with that feature, too.

In fact, I'm just going to start calling them a cervix provider, since they're always !@#$ing with everything.

Go into your "my devices" in your computer settings. Look for your usb drivers. You will see quite a few depending on how many things you have connected to your computer. Look for the ones for your phone, should say something like "samsung usb". Delete it, either right click and "remove" or "uninstall drivers"... 

Now plug your phone into the computer and the drivers should now properly install.

*i am not in front of my computer at the moment, so the folder and device names arnt exact, they are off the top of my head but will be similar. 

a notice will pop up on your phone after plugging into computer (drag down from the top to access it).

Move files by USB

1. Unlock your Android device.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your device to your computer.
  3. On your device, tap the "USB for..." notification.
  4. Select Transfer files.
  5. A file transfer window will open on your computer. Use it to drag files.
  6. When you're done, eject your device from Windows.
  7. Unplug the USB cable.

11 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Update:

To put it mildly, "old phone".

The software that is on it is the highest version that it can handle (the phone is too old to install newer software).

The techie said that the easiest way to solve the issue is to install a third-party app that will be able to unlock the tethering.

Translation:

You went to Target and got a sync/charge cord.

:P:P

Just messing with you. :D