Hometown players, should it effect drafting?

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

You are correct, and I stand corrected.

Kid was a stud in WNY

he went to some of my camps back in the day that I helped run and he had a huge arm 

hes the varsity coach at timon now

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

Yes it should ... in the later rounds.  Taking a flier on a local kid is fantastic marketing. And with attendance and ratings dropping and fewer kids playing the game, the teams need all the feel good marketing they can get.

It's great for marketing, but unless the player fits your team or is some can't miss prospect it should be the last thing you use to make your choice.

I think its more of a factor for established players later in their careers. Lechler (yeah I know, a punter) did it after years with Oakland and Marshawn did it coming back to his home town after semi-retirement.

I think a player coming off his rookie contract is looking for the dollars first and home town second.

What did Jerry Hughes say when asked about giving the Bills a "hometown discount"? Yep, there's your answer. 

But seriously, take the best guys out there, not local guys. The best players are all from Florida or California. We'd get destroyed putting the WNY all stars out there. 

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

What did Jerry Hughes say when asked about giving the Bills a "hometown discount"? Yep, there's your answer. 

But seriously, take the best guys out there, not local guys. The best players are all from Florida or California. We'd get destroyed putting the WNY all stars out there. 

And then of course, Hughes gave the Bills a hometown discount. He didn't go to FA, signed here and surely would have made more money on open market. :D