Adolphus Washington increasing his production along DL

YoloinOhio

It was mentioned on the TNF  broadcast that one of the reasons the Bills felt ready to move on from Dareus was the development of Adolphus Washington. It raised some eyebrows on twitter - we hadn’t heard the coaches talk about him much. There had also been the report that the Bills were open to moving on from him for a 5th rounder around draft time. And of course the off-field incident over the summer. For my eyes, he has had a few flash plays but also some penalties, and was even inactive for at least one game. Saw this today and hope that he is indeed on the rise, salvaging and developing a recent draft pick would be great. 

Bills Today: DT Adolphus Washington increases his production along the D-Line

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-DT-Adolphus-Washington-increases-his-production-along-the-D-Line/358f1d33-f4c1-4b6b-bc97-a12a5b680306

Washington played 58-percent of Buffalo's defensive snaps in Week Eight, the second-most among defensive tackles. In his first start since Dareus' departure he made some solid plays. He recorded three tackles and a pass defended in the 34-14 win.The 2016 third-round pick had his best game of the season last Thursday. Washington's snap count remained at 58-percent again in Week Nine. He recorded a career-high five tackles, a career-high two tackles for a loss, and a pass defended.

Washington's numbers have only increased since he took on the starting role. Frazier believes he'll be a big factor in the Bills playing stout defense.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was mentioned on the TNF  broadcast that one of the reasons the Bills felt ready to move on from Dareus was the development of Adolphus Washington. It raised some eyebrows on twitter - we hadn’t heard the coaches talk about him much. There had also been the report that the Bills were open to moving on from him for a 5th rounder around draft time. And of course the off-field incident over the summer. For my eyes, he has had a few flash plays but also some penalties, and was even inactive for at least one game. Saw this today and hope that he is indeed on the rise, salvaging and developing a recent draft pick would be great. 

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-DT-Adolphus-Washington-increases-his-production-along-the-D-Line/358f1d33-f4c1-4b6b-bc97-a12a5b680306

He's definitely played better as of late, but my greatest hope for him is that he's their DT3 next year behind two new starters.  In fact, he and Worthy would be a fine backup tandem provided they're playing behind 2 bona fide starters.

• Like (+1) 1

He is extremely inconsistent. There will be plays where he is unblockable and in the backfield immediately and then a long stretch where he disappears. His best position going forward is going to be to replace Kyle in the 3-Tech. However moving Dareus you still need that 1-Tech DT. 

And the reason felt OK to move Dareus because of him is just Coach Speak to deflect the doesnt fit our culture truth 

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He is extremely inconsistent. There will be plays where he is unblockable and in the backfield immediately and then a long stretch where he disappears. His best position going forward is going to be to replace Kyle in the 3-Tech. However moving Dareus you still need that 1-Tech DT. 

So right now they have Thornton there, who is ok. His face mask penalty was really dumb and unnecessary though. I agree with Bandit - these guys are ok but they will need to draft or sign someone else in offseason. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't pay much attention to him at all so I can't form an honest opinion.

I did notice he's playing more so I guess that's a good sign.

He has a lot of talent/potential and is very athletic - not sure how smart he is though. I think that’s why he flashes high/low.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

So right now they have Thornton there, who is ok. His face mask penalty was really dumb and unnecessary though. I agree with Bandit - these guys are ok but they will need to draft or sign someone else in offseason. 

I do agree that if your 1Tech in this defense is more about stacking OL compared to penatrating (like Schwartz’s) just like in Rex system no reason to pay 20M to a DT to do that. 

I also agree that one but likely two (not thinking Kyle comes back specially if the Bills fall off again this season) starters are needed in the offseason. 

Also the heavy rotation we employ needs to be re looked. I think it REALLY hurts the front 4 getting pressure 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

With the emphasis that it seemed the Panthers put on the DL when McD was there, I could definitely see them signing a someone like star lutulelei in FA, as well as drafting a guy like Dre’Mont Jones or Vita Vea in early rounds.

Vea would be a very good fit, though I'm a Derrick Nnadi guy first and foremost.

As to FA DTs, Star is one option, but I think that Bennie Logan would make a LOT of sense as a 1-tech

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I do agree that if your 1Tech in this defense is more about stacking OL compared to penatrating (like Schwartz’s) just like in Rex system no reason to pay 20M to a DT to do that. 

I also agree that one but likely two (not thinking Kyle comes back specially if the Bills fall off again this season) starters are needed in the offseason. 

Also the heavy rotation we employ needs to be re looked. I think it REALLY hurts the front 4 getting pressure 

FWIW, top nose tackles make a lot more money now than when Dareus got his deal............so it's not exactly like paying $4M for a top run stuffer versus $16M for Dareus.   I think Snax is making about $11M average on his deal and Dareus is a more versatile/better fit 1Tech in this D......which draws that $16M/$11M ratio even closer.  

It's not as slam-dunkish a tradeoff as it was 3 years ago. 

They might be able to find some bargains for the DL......maybe get lucky with a journeyman vet or two.....Adolphus I have no trust in whatsoever though.      

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How much do you think it will cost to sign Star?

Probably a lot. But I don’t expect Kyle back and they have a ton of cap space as compared to the Whaley years. They won’t have any big contracts on the DL. I have no doubt they will pay handsomely anyone they think is worth it and fits the process. I’m not sure if he does or not but certainly has the McD ties.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Probably a lot. But I don’t expect Kyle back and they have a ton of cap space as compared to the Whaley years. They won’t have any big contracts on the DL. I have no doubt they will pay handsomely anyone they think is worth it and fits the process. I’m not sure if he does or not but certainly has the McD ties.

I think Kyle will save $8 million next year?  Give that to Star.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

FWIW, top nose tackles make a lot more money now than when Dareus got his deal............so it's not exactly like paying $4M for a top run stuffer versus $16M for Dareus.   I think Snax is making about $11M average on his deal and Dareus is a more versatile/better fit 1Tech in this D......which draws that $16M/$11M ratio even closer.  

They might be able to find some bargains for the DL......maybe get lucky with a journeyman vet or two.....Adolphus I have no trust in whatsoever though.      

It really depends what they ask from that 1Tech. And what they seem to be asking from this one Tech Dareus versatility and or skill set is not being used. So at this point I understand the money dump (still said it should have not happened now and should be in the upcoming offseason) when you are in the middle of a playoff fight to trade him for peanuts 

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Vea would be a very good fit, though I'm a Derrick Nnadi guy first and foremost.

As to FA DTs, Star is one option, but I think that Bennie Logan would make a LOT of sense as a 1-tech

I think Star goes somewhere like New Orleans, staying in the division. He will be covered by a lot of teams. No reason why I think NO but they seem to take aim at panther defenders in FA.

Logan makes a 1Tech makes sense and will help Hughes on the edge as OL will have to keep the pocket intact and Hughes can rush through the outside solo.  Washington playing 3tech alongside Lawson will be able to blast in to the backfield with Lawson adequately covering contain.

But, I'd not be surprised at all to see Lawson sent off this off season. 

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think Snax got $9M AAV.  I personally would go after Logan in FA and then go after Nnadi in the draft.  DT done.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I think Snax got $9M AAV.  I personally would go after Logan in FA and then go after Nnadi in the draft.  DT done.

Yeah it's hard to make this defense work without forcing teams to throw the ball and throw under duress.    Need some dudes in that front 7.    Logan is solid.   I don't love this DT class in the draft.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's hard to make this defense work without forcing teams to throw the ball and throw under duress.    Need some dudes in that front 7.    Logan is solid.   I don't love this DT class in the draft.

As badly as I want a franchise QB in the draft, I would have to think really hard about Bradley Chubb if he were available.  Perfect fit for the scheme and probably a BPA pick.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

As badly as I want a franchise QB in the draft, I would have to think really hard about Bradley Chubb if he were available.  Perfect fit for the scheme and probably a BPA pick.

He'd fit right in with Hughes.  We could lead the league in unsportsmanlike's