Why Football is Better

Irv

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hilarious. The only strategy is in the pitch. At the end of the day, you need to hit the ball and then run in a straight line

Pretty much true. Fill out your lineup card, put in a wad of tobacco and take a nap. The "strategy" aspect of baseball is entirely overrated. Most managers make moves just to make moves. If a guy's pitching well, keep him in. If he's not, yank him. Not much to it, really.

I disagree about pitching being the only strategy. Defense is shifted almost every at bat depending on where players are likely to go, either in trends, or in specific situation. Sometimes even shifted within an at bat depending on if a battery is likely to pull a friendly count, or go opposite late in a count, etc.

Why Football is Awesome...

Every play of every game is important from September to February. With a 16 game season, every win or loss matters and is often the difference between playoffs or not. In the playoffs, its one loss and done. Within a game, every first down matters, every third down play is critical, every interception, fumble, field goal and touchdown matters. Penalties can instantly alter the game.

There is more drama and intensity in football than any other sport. It is the best spectator sport and it isnt even close.

To put this in perspective, I grew up as a hockey player, playing competitively for 13 years and coaching for another 8. I understand every aspect of hockey and appreciate the nuances that a casual fan doesnt see. In hockey, you can go on a five game losing streak and still make the playoffs. You can lose back to back playoff games and still advance to the next round. The long season and seven-game playoff series remove all of the intensity that makes football so awesome. Its only in the rare game seven of a playoff series that the intensity comes close to NFL football.

FP

Love Baseball and love Football.

You got to know/understand the game of baseball to really appreciate it in my opinion

Yes. For reasons unknown some people think they have to choose between the two.

I like both. I prefer watching football on tv generally as it is a bigger event as they play less games, although MLB as your team drives for playoffs and then onto playoffs is just as dramatic at a different pace and is just as good.

I have to say though to anyone who has never played baseball it is awesome. Stepping into the batters box to face that great pitcher no one can hit with every eye in the stadium on you and the pitcher, is an awesome experience. Nervous as hell and nirvana if you get a hit.

Edited by cba fan

As it is the games start while some of us are still at work, hard to make them any earlier if you want a west coast audience.

This.

I live out west now and these WS games are brutal. I'm still at work when they start, so I record them on the DVR. I get home from work, feed the kids dinner, put them to bed and prep them for school the next day (with some help from the wife), then start watching the games on DVR around 9 PM. Even though I can fast forward through the commercials, it still is 11, 12, 1 or later by the time the game are over. I either fall asleep before the end or I stay up so late that I am a zombie the next day. In the past, I just gave up on playoff baseball. This year, because I like the Yankees and because the games have been so exciting and competitive, I have toughed it out and watched them all. I'm a zombie all the time! And it's even worse when I have to double up with a NFL game and/or a Sabres game - now I try to watch TWO games on tape after 9 PM.

Tonight is another double-header - Bills-Jests on TV and Sabres are in Arizona to play the Coyotes. I have lower bowl seats near the faceoff circle on the side the Sabres shoot twice. Still working on a plan to watch the Bills game too. Can catch the first quarter/most of first half prior to the puck drop, then may stream the rest on my phone at the hockey game or record and watch when I get home. I have NO IDEA how I can be in a building with 5,000 or so Buffalo sports fans and not know the outcome of the Bills game, but that would be ideal. Enjoy the Sabres live, then get home and watch the rest of the Bills game via DVR on the couch. And I'll be up late and be a zombie again tomorrow!

The suffering we go through to be a sports fan - and particularly a Buffalo sports fan!

Edited by msw2112