Belichick getting haunted by bad GM'ing again

Webster Guy

Here's how I see this thread going with the two camps typically on this board:

Non-homer: Belichick has 7 SB rings and his run with the Patriots is very impressive regardless of who you root for.

Homer: Yeah, but he lucked into getting Brady and cheated to win the Super Bowls.

Non-homer: He's a great coach and has made numerous solid personnel moves before this off-season.

Homer: Yeah, but he lucked into getting Brady and cheated to win the Super Bowls.

Non-homer: He won the Super Bowl last year and in 2014.

According to some on this board if you are a non-homer your really a pats fan and Brady ball licker.

Either way hopefully all this will be over soon once Brady is finished and/or retires but at this rate looks like all the once absurd talk of Brady wanting to play until he's 45 is very realistic and we might have a little while longer before this nightmare ends.

A great way to do something about it though would be to finally win a game against them this year even if they still cruise to another division title which I expect to be the case.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasnt proven right, thats my point. Chandler was the guy to keep, I watch Zona every week he's flat out dominant right now. They have nobody like him and it will eventually cost them the season.

Well, I guess it depends on your time perspective. Proven right last year? I'd say winning the Super Bowl is adequate proof. So is finishing with the #1 rated defense. Proven right to pay big bucks to Gilmore instead of Jones? Yup. You have a point there.

Not really sure how you-me-we can be accusing Bellichick of "bad GM-ing" when he is coming off a Super Bowl victory and is tied for the best record in football now even with a bunch of injuries. And yes, I know who his quarterback is. And I truly hate the guy.

The greatest coach of all time and the greatest QB of all time are making up for his mistakes as a GM. They arent winning because of any personnel moves theyve been making, right now its all Brady and his ridiculously low contract. The personnel moves are holding them back, I mean they could easily be 6-0 right now except for those mistakes.

The greatest coach of all time and the greatest QB of all time are making up for his mistakes as a GM. They arent winning because of any personnel moves theyve been making, right now its all Brady and his ridiculously low contract. The personnel moves are holding them back, I mean they could easily be 6-0 right now except for those mistakes.

He drafts and signs no name big offensive linemen pretty much every year few people ever heard of and they play great, keeping guys off Brady and allowing him to do his thing.

He hires great assistant coaches to carry out his sinister schemes and game plans.

He hates fumbles so he most often signs guys that don't fumble (and then as a coach he benches them if they do) so the Pats don't fumble nearly as much as other teams usually do, and please don't anyone cite debunked stupid deflategate fumble nonsense.

He makes a lot of little moves that keep that team at the top of the heap.

Brady has been running this (his) offense now for 17 years, with barely any major changes, and consistency at the OC, and head coach positions. He KNOWS it inside and out, and he has the benefit of 17 years worth of experience reading defenses, meaning, he doesn't get fooled much. When offensive players move or come in, there is a learning curve, but when settled, these players know exactly where to be on any given play and he knows exactly where they're going to be.. If a called play isn't there, he sniffs it out immediately (most times) and checks down to the almost always correct guy. It's what they do, and have been doing for 1000 years it seems. It's the system, but, the system is well understood by the guys executing it. It's not a mystery, every other team in the NFL wants to have a system, and a QB that knows how to run it every Sunday, that is the key. Brady doesn't nor has he ever had the best arm, or even the best accuracy, but he is highly efficient at his craft, maybe the best ever. That's why they win week in and week out. When you have the luxury as a head coach of ignoring one major part of your team, you free up lots of time to fiddle with the rest.

That's the funny thing about football, IMO, you can have a system for an offense, but the system rarely translates to defense. Offenses tend to dictate the play, defenses, with the exception of a few historically great defenses, react to what offenses do, they do NOT generally dictate the play. Stopping the run and forcing a team to pass is not the same thing.

Point is that, what Brady and Bellicheck have accomplished in their tenure is nothing short of incredible. Everyone sets out with the goal of developing their own system, and having the right QB with grey matter between the ears to execute, but it's a rare thing in the history of football to witness it year in and year out. I hate the Patriots just like any other Bills fan, not because of any one individual, but because of envy. I hated Wayne Gretzky as well, but you can't argue against what they accomplished in their careers. Brady and Belliceck put in the work, they earned what they have accomplished, no one gave it to them.

That said, !@#$ Tom Brady, and Go Bills!!!!!!!!

Tim-

Hate the Pats, but the guy is the greatest ever, and they will be there in the end one way or another. I don't know how, but they will be.

This year might be the easiest path to the superbowl and another championship that the Pats have ever had because not sure I see a real threat to them in either conference right now.

This year might be the easiest path to the superbowl and another championship that the Pats have ever had because not sure I see a real threat to them in either conference right now.

dude, what are you smoking. Don't bogart that joint. Share what you got.

The Pats are lucky they are not 3-4 (or worse) right now instead of 5-2.

dude, what are you smoking. Don't bogart that joint. Share what you got.

The Pats are lucky they are not 3-4 (or worse) right now instead of 5-2.

Steelers are the only AFC team that can challenge them and they will lose as always in the playoffs against them.

And while the Eagles and Carson Wentz are the cream of the crop in the NFC right now it's still early and can't see them seriously challenging the Pats either in a SB matchup.

I think the notion that BB doesn't draft well is a bit overblown...does he miss on some picks, absolutely...but you could run a list of good to great picks since he's been running the show in NE....Brady is great, probably the GOAT, but BB has built some great teams around him...you don't have the success they've had without great players...

Have you looked at their drafting over the last 4-5 years? It's abysmal.

Belichick has Brady and Brady covers for a lot of flaws, poor drafting among them. Not acknowledging the advantage having the best QB tenured way below market value provides is ridiculous.

Steelers are the only AFC team that can challenge them and they will lose as always in the playoffs against them.

And while the Eagles and Carson Wentz are the cream of the crop in the NFC right now it's still early and can't see them seriously challenging the Pats either in a SB matchup.

Do you not remember week 1 when KC kicked the living crapola out of them?

Have you looked at their drafting over the last 4-5 years? It's abysmal.

Belichick has Brady and Brady covers for a lot of flaws, poor drafting among them. Not acknowledging the advantage having the best QB tenured way below market value provides is ridiculous.

Where do I say that Brady is not a huge part of it ?......It's just as ridiculous to put their success entirely on Brady.....in the last 5 years, here's a few names that Belichick got....2012--Chandler Jones, Donte Hightower, Nate Ebner...2013---Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon...2014--Jimmy Garrappollo, James White, Dominique Easley...2015--Malcom Brown, Geno Grissom, Trey Flowers, Shaq Mason.....2016---Jacoby Brissett, Malcolm Mitchell, Elandon Roberts....it's too early to know about 2017, but all the guys above are playing either with NE or with another team right now.....that's besides BB's nose for picking UDFA like Malcolm Butler...

And if you look even further back, McCourthy, Gronk, Patrick Chung, Vollmer, Edelman in the 7th.....Vince Wilfork, Matt Light, Asante Samuel, etc....

Like I said, he's not a great GM, but he's not " abysmal " either....and he gets along with the HC..that's a big plus ..

Where do I say that Brady is not a huge part of it ?......It's just as ridiculous to put their success entirely on Brady.....in the last 5 years, here's a few names that Belichick got....2012--Chandler Jones, Donte Hightower, Nate Ebner...2013---Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon...2014--Jimmy Garrappollo, James White, Dominique Easley...2015--Malcom Brown, Geno Grissom, Trey Flowers, Shaq Mason.....2016---Jacoby Brissett, Malcolm Mitchell, Elandon Roberts....it's too early to know about 2017, but all the guys above are playing either with NE or with another team right now.....that's besides BB's nose for picking UDFA like Malcolm Butler...

And if you look even further back, McCourthy, Gronk, Patrick Chung, Vollmer, Edelman in the 7th.....Vince Wilfork, Matt Light, Asante Samuel, etc....

Like I said, he's not a great GM, but he's not " abysmal " either....and he gets along with the HC..that's a big plus ..

I see Hightower, Collins, Jones and a bunch of JAGS. Not impressive in the slightest, outside an eye for linebackers.