Cookie Gilchrist Headed to the Bills' Wall of Fame on Sunday

I saw him play. One of the best we ever had. One of the best all around football players ever. Could run,block, was a kicker, and would have bee an all pro LB if he had played in that side of the ball. A head case to be sure but a terrific player.

One autograph day I was trying to wedge through the crowd around him to get him to sign and the bigger kids kept pushing me away. Cookie saw it, reached over and grabbed me and put me up on his shoulder. Never forget it.

I was a season ticket holder for All 3 of Cookie’s years with the Bills. He was a force that defenses couldn’t handle. The late Larry Felser spoke openly that the consensus among league historians was that had Cookie played in the US his entire career, he would have held the GOAT position that Jim Brown currently occupies. However, he didn’t. And his prime years were spent in Canada. Yet, the legacy of the great Bills teams of 63 thru 65 (AFL Champs in 64 & 65) we’re due in large part to his unstoppable running style, and how he opened up the pass because defenses had to stack the box to stop him.

Of course, he was a troubled man. His later years lived as a recluse. And, like those kneeling today, Cookie led the movement for equality for players of color. In the 60s, that was not a popular position, especially in the South. But, the game is better because of his efforts, along with the support of his cause from the late Jack Kemp. Sadly his personality disorders effected his off-field life, and when it spilled into the locker room, he was sent to Denver in 65. Maybe it was CTE, even though it was not diagnosed way back then.

Like OJ, Cookie’s legacy on the field is legendary. His off-field problems should not lessen his contributions to the game. As a major part of some of the very best Bills teams, his place on the Wall is deserved.

I was a season ticket holder for All 3 of Cookie’s years with the Bills. He was a force that defenses couldn’t handle. The late Larry Felser spoke openly that the consensus among league historians was that had Cookie played in the US his entire career, he would have held the GOAT position that Jim Brown currently occupies. However, he didn’t. And his prime years were spent in Canada. Yet, the legacy of the great Bills teams of 63 thru 65 (AFL Champs in 64 & 65) we’re due in large part to his unstoppable running style, and how he opened up the pass because defenses had to stack the box to stop him.

Of course, he was a troubled man. His later years lived as a recluse. And, like those kneeling today, Cookie led the movement for equality for players of color. In the 60s, that was not a popular position, especially in the South. But, the game is better because of his efforts, along with the support of his cause from the late Jack Kemp. Sadly his personality disorders effected his off-field life, and when it spilled into the locker room, he was sent to Denver in 65. Maybe it was CTE, even though it was not diagnosed way back then.

Like OJ, Cookie’s legacy on the field is legendary. His off-field problems should not lessen his contributions to the game. As a major part of some of the very best Bills teams, his place on the Wall is deserved.

Well said. Thanks for that. It's interesting how a bunch of the social issues we are arguing about this week are similar to the things he was struggling with over 50 years ago. He led a boycott of an all star game because black players were not being treated fairly.

Well said. Thanks for that. It's interesting how a bunch of the social issues we are arguing about this week are similar to the things he was struggling with over 50 years ago. He led a boycott of an all star game because black players were not being treated fairly.

That was in NO. They wound up moving the game to Houston.

And what does that have to do with anything???? I saw him play, and he deserves it.

you know what it means that the board is young and missed out seeing play

And what does that have to do with anything???? I saw him play, and he deserves it.

tell me we’re you at the bills versus Denver game. Edited by Helpmenow

tell me we’re you at the bills versus Denver game.

I was at a bunch of Bills Denver games "back in the day" what are you getting at? My father had season ticks for the family from day one (in those days a lowly steel worker could afford five season tickets per year), so I pretty much saw every home game in the Rockpile, I left WNY in 70 to join the Navy, so game attendance has been less than sporadic sense then.

Cookie probably won't even show up for his own enshrinement. And yes, I know that he's dead. But people come back from the dead all the time. Or so I have heard.

He was, however, one of the great backs and personalities in the NFL, and way ahead of his time. Long overdue.

I agree wholeheartedly. Long, long overdue.

Butch Byrd should be on the wall

Yep. Another unfortunate oversight.

tell me we’re you at the bills versus Denver game.

I was at a bunch of Bills Denver games "back in the day" what are you getting at? My father had season ticks for the family from day one (in those days a lowly steel worker could afford five season tickets per year), so I pretty much saw every home game in the Rockpile, I left WNY in 70 to join the Navy, so game attendance has been less than sporadic sense then.

. Just asking your kinda defensive

Way overdue. Now you can really RIP Cookie.

Cookie is racing down Jefferson Ave in heaven in his shiny cadillac with a big smile on his face.

I saw him play and he looked like a harder runner than Earl Campbell. He was very fast as well. Defensive backs always went very low on him cause they couldn't bring him down with a hit above the waist.

He wasnt a harder runner than Earl--but just as hard. They are very comparable talentwise.

Fortunately or unfortunately Im old enough to have seen both of them play.