Solve this math puzzle

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get enough meadcoins and you can get a whole Stromboli.

I'm concerned about how many digits and comas are involved. Is this yen or pesos, or Berkshire Hathaway stock?

Edited by Augie

FWIW, I looked at it using a sequence:

1. 2+3=8

2. 3+7=27

3. 4+5=32

4. 5+8=60

5. 6+7=72

6. 7+8=?

Using the sequence number, this equation works:

a*b + seq*a = c

7*8 +6*7 = 98

Same equation. In each case, seq = a - 1. So a*b + seq*a = a*b + (a-1)*a = (a+b-1)*a.

Well, I just disproved your assumption, didn't I?

...or there's more than one possible solution.

If we can assume a '+" somehow relates to a*b + (a-1)*a no reason we couldn''t also assume the sequence of the equations has significance.

In truth, I like the a*b + (a-1)*a solution better, just thought it was interesting that I came at it from a slightly different angle.

...or there's more than one possible solution.

If we can assume a '+" somehow relates to a*b + (a-1)*a no reason we couldn''t also assume the sequence of the equations has significance.

In truth, I like the a*b + (a-1)*a solution better, just thought it was interesting that I came at it from a slightly different angle.

Except I already demonstrated that, if sequence is important, it reduces to the previous solution.

Or, to put it a different way: if you create a solution for a specific case (where a specific sequence matters), and that solution can be generalized (to a solution that's sequence-independent), the general solution is considered the correct one.

Except I already demonstrated that, if sequence is important, it reduces to the previous solution.

Or, to put it a different way: if you create a solution for a specific case (where a specific sequence matters), and that solution can be generalized (to a solution that's sequence-independent), the general solution is considered the correct one.

..or if your sample set is too limited you could arrive at the wrong solution for all the right reasons.