The Wide Receiver Position

Buffalo716

The NFL game is changing and so has college football. Spreading teams out with 3-4-5 wide receiver sets is normal and the spread has changed the game.

20-30 years ago in any given draft there may have been 20-25 draftable receivers max coming out of college yearly

Now there are usually 40+ receivers with draftable grades... sometimes more

The rise of passing offenses out of 3-4 WR sets has created an abundance of WRs around the league. There are a lot of guys buried on depth charts and on practice squads that can play WR if in the right scheme

Brandon Reilly is a guy who I believe will eventually get the call up and make some plays for us. Like a lot here think

I also haven't given up on Kaelin Clay. He is young and playing a lot of snaps which he has never done. He is pretty quick and I bet TT will find him sooner than later

Undrafted kids and young kids step up all the time. It looks bad on paper now but the Bills have to hope that a hungry WR steps up

It wouldn't surprise me but we definitely need it

Agreed, OP, but I think any new WR's talent level has to be high enough to compensate for our lack of productivity on offense. That's why I was so excited about the prospect of having Boldin here.

And the FO has been awfully quiet since Matthew's injury, they were making weekly moves like it was nothing before that.

Meh. We'll see.

The NFL game is changing and so has college football. Spreading teams out with 3-4-5 wide receiver sets is normal and the spread has changed the game.

20-30 years ago in any given draft there may have been 20-25 draftable receivers max coming out of college yearly

Now there are usually 40+ receivers with draftable grades... sometimes more

The rise of passing offenses out of 3-4 WR sets has created an abundance of WRs around the league. There are a lot of guys buried on depth charts and on practice squads that can play WR if in the right scheme

Brandon Reilly is a guy who I believe will eventually get the call up and make some plays for us. Like a lot here think

I also haven't given up on Kaelin Clay. He is young and playing a lot of snaps which he has never done. He is pretty quick and I bet TT will find him sooner than later

Undrafted kids and young kids step up all the time. It looks bad on paper now but the Bills have to hope that a hungry WR steps up

It wouldn't surprise me but we definitely need it

....do you think the WR corp has been severly tested and has failed woefully?....sure Zay has had his drops but he's a rook coming off 160 receptions at ECU and is now playing mind games with himself.......but can you honestly say you have a competent QB that can process the field and find these guys open?.............I know, "they all suck"....OR..."can't get separation", the usual old refrains....sure they're getting paid good money to do their job but I wonder how many go full tilt in their routes thinking that the probability of seeing the ball is <10%?.....that attitude sure as hell would affect separation....

....do you think the WR corp has been severly tested and has failed woefully?....sure Zay has had his drops but he's a rook coming off 160 receptions at ECU and is now playing mind games with himself.......but can you honestly say you have a competent QB that can process the field and find these guys open?.............I know, "they all suck"....OR..."can't get separation", the usual old refrains....sure they're getting paid good money to do their job but I wonder how many go full tilt in their routes thinking that the probability of seeing the ball is <10%?.....that attitude sure as hell would affect separation....

Zay "butterfingers" Jones needs to catch one in the endzone......that should get his confidence up there! Lets hope he clears his head during the bye.....

Zay "butterfingers" Jones needs to catch one in the endzone......that should get his confidence up there! Lets hope he clears his head during the bye.....

...he HAS to.......kid does have talent...despite ECU level of competition, you don't catch 160 with "Robert Royal hands".....bring in Andre Reed for a skull session to rid the demons.......

You whine about people making excuses for Taylor, and then throw out a comment like that? What-the-hell kind of excuse is that??? You're telling us it's Tyrod's fault that his receivers can't get separation? Give me a break!

I think the Wideouts are getting separation. We have very limited pass plays in our offense so that makes EXECUTING the play key...

Not just the correct route depth and break but the line must do their job and TT then must execute. We have some nice play action passes with good route combinations that are getting open but we are always slightly off in the execution.

It looks much worse because of our limited pass attempts. When we don't execute on the play that we just set up for 10 plays it's a killer. Every attempt is meaningful because there are only a limited number to go around

If we threw 35-40 times a game there would be more cohesion and trust amongst QB and WR

You whine about people making excuses for Taylor, and then throw out a comment like that? What-the-hell kind of excuse is that??? You're telling us it's Tyrod's fault that his receivers can't get separation? Give me a break!

....slow down Big Dawg......untie your jockey shorts and re-read before your YIPS.....I believe I said "I wonder" which is a question for debate.......I don't whine about nothing sonny......tell me why I would not want and hope the kid to succeed in chasing his NFL dream?.....Jesus.........you don't get it......IGNORE is a marvelous tool....use it................

Thought you were thinking like me, who needs WR's. I call it the Buffalo Wing Formation.

Glenn - Dawkins - Incognito - Wood - Ducasse - Miller - Groy - Mills

---------------------------------------Taylor-----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------DiMarco---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------McCoy----------------------------------------------

...he HAS to.......kid does have talent...despite ECU level of competition, you don't catch 160 with "Robert Royal hands".....bring in Andre Reed for a skull session to rid the demons.......

.....or just stand him in a corner of the lockeroom and have all 3 QB's drill balls directly at him non stop......should do the trick...

I think the Wideouts are getting separation. We have very limited pass plays in our offense so that makes EXECUTING the play key...

Not just the correct route depth and break but the line must do their job and TT then must execute. We have some nice play action passes with good route combinations that are getting open but we are always slightly off in the execution.

It looks much worse because of our limited pass attempts. When we don't execute on the play that we just set up for 10 plays it's a killer. Every attempt is meaningful because there are only a limited number to go around

If we threw 35-40 times a game there would be more cohesion and trust amongst QB and WR

Our best, and most productive receivers in the last game were our second string TE, and our K/P returner. Our current #1, and #2 WRs would be third string, at best, in any other NFL team. That's a problem.

....slow down Big Dawg......untie your jockey shorts and re-read before your YIPS.....I believe I said "I wonder" which is a question for debate.......I don't whine about nothing sonny......tell me why I would not want and hope the kid to succeed in chasing his NFL dream?.....Jesus.........you don't get it......IGNORE is a marvelous tool....use it................

Now you're just being intellectually dishonest.

....agree that play action and rollouts will be a definite work in progress and that assimilation won't happen overnight.....and nice to highlight correct route depth and break which falls on your WR Coach......at the same time, what is your assessment of TT's ability to spot his receivers?...trust and spotting was my critical assessment of EJ......he never seemed to have confidence that the guy "WOULD be there"....

Our best, and most productive receivers in the last game were our second string TE, and our K/P returner. Our current #1, and #2 WRs would be third string, at best, in any other NFL team. That's a problem.

That's what happens when your #1 goes out...

We spent a high pick on Zay jones....

Tate has over 1000 career receiving yards in the NFL

So does Holmes

We traded for Kaelin Clay

Our TEs ARE THE FOCAL of the offense. Even with Matthews Clay was our #1

QB's are generally rusty throwing to guys that they haven't been throwing to for at least (many months). They click better with guys who they have experience throwing to the most often. That is why you see backup QB's coming into games and throwing to backup receivers more often than expected. It is because they are throwing to the guys they have the most experience, practice, chemistry with.

Tyrod has none of those guys on this squad right now. He only had one - Charles Clay going into Cincy. Clay was productive before getting injured. Then Tyrod had none.

Everyone can blame Tyrod for not getting it done anyway. He is the QB. It is his job to find a way to get the other guys the ball. And it is their job to catch them.

This offense is going to suck for weeks to come yet though, unless the Bills find a way to fast forward that chemistry/trust building process with the new guys. And I don't see that happening. Mathews better heal fast.

O'leary is going to get a lot of balls. Shady will get more thrown to him too - which might end up being a good thing. If the Bills don't try to stretch the field though, regardless of who the receivers are, this offense is destined to get steam rolled.

Edited by PolishDave

....agree that play action and rollouts will be a definite work in progress and that assimilation won't happen overnight.....and nice to highlight correct route depth and break which falls on your WR Coach......at the same time, what is your assessment of TT's ability to spot his receivers?...trust and spotting was my critical assessment of EJ......he never seemed to have confidence that the guy "WOULD be there"....

He is pretty hot and cold like most low tier starters. He has strengths and weaknesses with regards to finding receivers.

He is good in a cover 2 shell and 3 and 4. Usually knows who to avoid and where to go

BUT

In zone blitzes and man blitzes he usually fails in finding the hot receiver in time. He usually scrambles and makes a play or gets sacked... he rarely finds the hot receiver on a slant or seam route

He struggles in tight man with a spy. That's probably his Achilles heel but Charles Clay was the antidote because LBrs can't cover him 1 on 1. He could trust that clay would beat his man

His injury is actually the most significant imo

That's what happens when your #1 goes out...

We spent a high pick on Zay jones....

Tate has over 1000 career receiving yards in the NFL

So does Holmes

We traded for Kaelin Clay

Our TEs ARE THE FOCAL of the offense. Even with Matthews Clay was our #1

O'Leary and Jones were both targeted six times. O'Leary pulled in five, and Jones one. If our TEs are the focus of our endemic passing attack, it is because we do not have any reliable WRs.

Tate looked like our best WR on Sunday. And, he's getting spread pretty thin. One of my favorite parts of that game was that Tate made an excellent tackle on the kick return immediately after his TD.