Car detailing advice

dpberr

Recommendations on best products and DIY approaches to use to remove the typical parking garage dents and blemishes on your car?

I always lease my car through work, and when it's time to turn it in, I have a body shop I go to that has a way to patch and paint the more obvious dings and dents without removing entire parts of the car. No idea what he does. I was referred by a friend, the guy was relatively inexpensive, and no one ever questioned me when the car was inspected at lease end.

That doesn't help you, but what I learned in that search is there is no DIY fix at Auto Zone, and there are no people who can give you a cheap deal. Depending on how bad a scratch is, a mobile detailer can buff things out. But in the end, there are two kinds of solutions; one where you pay someone to do that work and one where people will scam you.

Edited by LABillzFan

I always lease my car through work, and when it's time to turn it in, I have a body shop I go to that has a way to patch and paint the more obvious dings and dents without removing entire parts of the car. No idea what he does. I was referred by a friend, the guy was relatively inexpensive, and no one ever questioned me when the car was inspected at lease end.

That doesn't help you, but what I learned in that search is there is no DIY fix at Auto Zone, and there are no people who can give you a cheap deal. Depending on how bad a scratch is, a mobile detailer can buff things out. But in the end, there are two kinds of solutions; one where you pay someone to do that work and one where people will scam you.

Amen to that. I've moved on to a new position with a new company and I no longer have to park in a garage. It's more a comprehensive one-over of a banner year of paint transfers and dings no matter where I'd park. The marks should be easy but the dings take some talent and skill. It turns out my BIL had some hail damage repair by a shop that he thought did a good job and took it there for an estimate.

Paintless dent removal on any dents or door ding. It's usually 50 bucks per ding. I'd say 99% of people don't do the basics to keep their car looking good. You need to have at least 2 layers of wax on your car at all times and the cheaper waxes only last a few weeks so after the first session of applying a bunch of coats then at least once a month or every 2 weeks you should be waxing your car which I doubt most people do. A couple of other tips would be the 2 bucket method or foam cannon and then drying car with air compressor or leaf blower. Aka touchless car wash. Where most of the swirlies in the paint come from is people washing at home with dirty sponges or towels.