Bills Lurk in off-axis NFL

theRalph

Bill coach Sean McDermott talked about coaching youth soccer this week on WGR. The sound approach to fundamentals that gig requires seems to have also taken hold at One BIlls Drive. These Bills passed the eye test last week. I'm way past dissing the win because of the Jets. Those same Jets will be a big problem for the Raiders tomorrow. Watch.

Maybe the national consensus is correct and the Bills are "rebuilding". I believe the truth is closer to them being a team that believes it can compete because they believe they've earned it. And, based on the week 1 league wide offensively offensive offensive performances that are the talk of the in NFL world, should the Bills prevail in Charlotte (34-20 is my guess), be listening for the national press to rant about how Cam Newton and the Panthers are past their prime. Indeed, an NFL season with stunted offensive production would be just the tonic to finish the blasted drought. But patience pays...the Bills won't get any credit until midseason and, until then, any of their successes will be excused away by flawed opponents. Like in week one.

If its an off year for offense and the Patriots are really 40, this might, just might, be the year the Bills become relevant.

I love the optimism!

But I'm not sure why some random thoughts about the Bills being underrated/underappreciated and becoming relevant deserves its own thread?

I do hope you're right about today's score!

Edited by hondo in seattle

I like this thread. I am one that tempers excitement because it was just the Jets, but have some optimism now. Not neccesarily because of the Bills performance, but more so the pathetic state of many other teams. When we were 31 in the power rankings, my thought was "that sounds about right", but now I think 25ish is the floor and we may actually be in the 15-20 range. Still I doubt we "become relevant again" this year, but it seems more possible than it did 7 days ago.

my expectation for the year was the Bills would be competitive in most games. Anything other than a close loss will change my view, for better or worse. Edited by TPS

Bill coach Sean McDermott talked about coaching youth soccer this week on WGR. The sound approach to fundamentals that gig requires seems to have also taken hold at One BIlls Drive. These Bills passed the eye test last week. I'm way past dissing the win because of the Jets. Those same Jets will be a big problem for the Raiders tomorrow. Watch.

Maybe the national consensus is correct and the Bills are "rebuilding". I believe the truth is closer to them being a team that believes it can compete because they believe they've earned it. And, based on the week 1 league wide offensively offensive offensive performances that are the talk of the in NFL world, should the Bills prevail in Charlotte (34-20 is my guess), be listening for the national press to rant about how Cam Newton and the Panthers are past their prime. Indeed, an NFL season with stunted offensive production would be just the tonic to finish the blasted drought. But patience pays...the Bills won't get any credit until midseason and, until then, any of their successes will be excused away by flawed opponents. Like in week one.

If its an off year for offense and the Patriots are really 40, this might, just might, be the year the Bills become relevant.

Its hard to rebuild when you have the 4th oldest team in the NFL.......This is nothing more than a short term fix to appease the easily distracted fans ........the lipstick on this pig wont change that this regime is still sporting a pig ......nice try

I love the optimism!

But I'm not sure why some random thoughts about the Bills being underrated/underappreciated and becoming relevant deserves its own thread?

I do hope you're right about today's score!

Everyone is always so worried about new threads around here. I don't see the big deal. Obviously you don't want thread spamming, or massive redundancy, but we have a half dozen threads not even about the Bills on the main page, so I don't see how this has any less merit than those.

Just my $.02

I like this thread. I am one that tempers excitement because it was just the Jets, but have some optimism now. Not neccesarily because of the Bills performance, but more so the pathetic state of many other teams. When we were 31 in the power rankings, my thought was "that sounds about right", but now I think 25ish is the floor and we may actually be in the 15-20 range. Still I doubt we "become relevant again" this year, but it seems more possible than it did 7 days ago.

I'm not delusional or overly optimistic but a 27th power ranking (which we are as I type) is outrageous. We are no where near the 5th crappiest team in the league.

So your definition is getting to playoffs and rapidly exiting said playoffs. Got it.

The Chiefs have won more games than anyone in the league except the Patriots and the Steelers the past five years. I would call that sustained success, especially compared to what the Bills have done this past generation. But really, I'm just sick of you turning every thread into an excuse to bash Tyrod. It's a shame, because you definitely have some interesting takes and a lot to contribute to the board.

The Chiefs have won more games than anyone in the league except the Patriots and the Steelers the past five years. I would call that sustained success, especially compared to what the Bills have done this past generation. But really, I'm just sick of you turning every thread into an excuse to bash Tyrod. It's a shame, because you definitely have some interesting takes and a lot to contribute to the board.

Never brought up TT did I? Just said no long term success until QB is answered.

Did I say TT is not that answer? So much thin skin with Bills fans

Edited by MAJBobby

Not sure if you were including the Bills in the statement about it being an off year for offenses, but I don't think they are an exception. Doesn't get any easier next week with Denver. I do think they will get better as the season progresses, but they sure have a tough schedule...