Why are you so sure we aren't a playoff team?

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's a really weird way to root for this. playing out.

To me, it's most logical to root for losses for these teams.  The Chargers play the Jets in NY... which is no gimme... and then a divisional game against the Raiders.

The Titans losing yesterday was best for us knowing the likelihood of the Bills, Ravens, Titans and Chargers somehow ALL ending up 9-7 is pretty far-fetched.

There is nothing weird about it, if you checked the remaining schedules after KC defeated LAC. It actually appeared to be the most likely scenario to play out. Assuming the Bills win at MIA to get to 9-7 of course. The 49ers were the last middling team on the Titans schedule. A win there put them at 9 wins. With the Rams and JAX remaining, a 9-7 finish was very probable for TEN. The Chargers have only the Jets and OAK left, and the Raiders blew their chances last night. 9-7 looks pretty likely for LAC. That would have meant beat MIA and you're in for the Bills. They now must hope the Jets or Raiders pull an upset. Forget about the Ravens, as they will claim one WC spot. Their schedule is a breeze. It was looking like a 50-50 shot for the Bills: they just had to find a way to win in MIA. That's no longer enough, they need a fluke win by a crap team. Unless you think the Titans can hang with the Rams, but a close look at the Titans wins would say they get crushed by the high flying offense of LA. 

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's a headache for sure.

All we need is to finish 9-7 and either the Chargers don't.  They need to lose one of their next two.

Or the Ravens lose out which is very unlikely.  Or win beat the Pats which by history, is unlikely.

Or the Titans beat the Rams which seems very unlikely.

Tons of things can happen.  The Chiefs aren't exactly models of consistency.  They could lose their last 2 games and the Chargers could take the AFC West, eliminating them from WC contention.

There's just a lot.

Root for 2 straight wins and 10-6 and we're pretty much locked into a playoff spot.

I know a W in NE is unlikely, but I'm praying for a Christmas Miracle... would make my holiday that much better.

As far as 9-7 goes, I'd rather root for this and that (Chargers losing one of their last 2 OR Chiefs losing their last 2 AND Titans losing week 17 to the Jags OR Ravens losing one more) rather than this and that and that (Chargers winning 2 AND Titans losing to the Jags but not the Rams AND Ravens losing one more).

Lots of permutations involved here.  I hope the Bills just simplify things and win their next 2  :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

To the OP:  There are a whole bunch of teams in both conferences who will NOT make the playoffs who could be more or less described by your take on the Bills.

Secondly, how many NFL fans around the country, who are NOT Bills fans, are lining up with their money to bet that the Bills make the playoffs?

Try to distance your love of the team from your analysis of the team.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

To the OP:  There are a whole bunch of teams in both conferences who will NOT make the playoffs who could be more or less described by your take on the Bills.

Secondly, how many NFL fans around the country, who are NOT Bills fans, are lining up with their money to bet that the Bills make the playoffs?

Xanax.

No, really.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Tons of things can happen.  The Chiefs aren't exactly models of consistency.  They could lose their last 2 games and the Chargers could take the AFC West, eliminating them from WC contention.

There's just a lot.

Root for 2 straight wins and 10-6 and we're pretty much locked into a playoff spot.

I know a W in NE is unlikely, but I'm praying for a Christmas Miracle... would make my holiday that much better.

As far as 9-7 goes, I'd rather root for this and that (Chargers losing one of their last 2 OR Chiefs losing their last 2 AND Titans losing week 17 to the Jags OR Ravens losing one more) rather than this and that and that (Chargers winning 2 AND Titans losing to the Jags but not the Rams AND Ravens losing one more).

Lots of permutations involved here.  I hope the Bills just simplify things and win their next 2  :thumbsup:

Rooting for this or that doesn't make the scenarios more likely to occur . The Bills most likely path is now gone, that was a 3 way tie with LAC and TEN. They may still sneak in , but the chances are now very low . Even with a win at MIA, I'd guess it's around 10%. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Rooting for this or that doesn't make the scenarios more likely to occur . The Bills most likely path is now gone, that was a 3 way tie with LAC and TEN. They may still sneak in , but the chances are now very low . Even with a win at MIA, I'd guess it's around 10%. 

How is that gone?

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

There is nothing weird about it, if you checked the remaining schedules after KC defeated LAC. It actually appeared to be the most likely scenario to play out. Assuming the Bills win at MIA to get to 9-7 of course. The 49ers were the last middling team on the Titans schedule. A win there put them at 9 wins. With the Rams and JAX remaining, a 9-7 finish was very probable for TEN. The Chargers have only the Jets and OAK left, and the Raiders blew their chances last night. 9-7 looks pretty likely for LAC. That would have meant beat MIA and you're in for the Bills. They now must hope the Jets or Raiders pull an upset. Forget about the Ravens, as they will claim one WC spot. Their schedule is a breeze. It was looking like a 50-50 shot for the Bills: they just had to find a way to win in MIA. That's no longer enough, they need a fluke win by a crap team. Unless you think the Titans can hang with the Rams, but a close look at the Titans wins would say they get crushed by the high flying offense of LA. 

It's the NFL and I just think you're relying on too many permutations that you assumed were most likely scenarios.

The Chargers could very easily lose in New Jersey next week or at home against the Raiders to close out the season.

OR

The Chiefs could potentially lose both of their remaining games.

Just now, joesixpack said:

He's being ridiculous and saying the Chargers are going to win out.

If the Chargers win out they are 9-7, correct?  One more win and the titans are 9-7 as well?

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's mathematically possible. It's also extremely unlikely. It was very likely if TEN had hung on vs SF yesterday . 

You are making a lot of assumptions and passing them off as fact

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

If the Chargers win out they are 9-7, correct?  One more win and the titans are 9-7 as well?

Correct on the chargers. if the titans go 1-1 they're 9-7.

I'm calling it now: chargers lose in Jersey this week.

Stone cold, lead pipe lock take it to the bank and pay the mortgage.

Edited by joesixpack

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

It's the NFL and I just think you're relying on too many permutations that you assumed were most likely scenarios.

The Chargers could very easily lose in New Jersey next week or at home against the Raiders to close out the season.

OR

The Chiefs could potentially lose both of their remaining games.

I think those aren't likely scenarios. LAC are better and will be favored in both games. Chiefs seem to have rediscovered their offense , and they already beat SD so it wasn't that surprising. I'm just going by who I would pick to win those games, and who will likely be favored in those games when figuring probabilities. I have little confidence in the Jets , Raiders , Colts, and especially the Bengals who seem to already have the bus fired up and ready to roll the last couple weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Ummm... what?

Are you arguing just to argue? 

Or were you one of the ones who thought we wouldn't win more than 4 games and bitter that you were wrong?

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Correct on the chargers. if the titans go 1-1 they're 9-7.

I'm calling it now: chargers lose in Jersey this week.

Stone cold, lead pipe lock take it to the bank and pay the mortgage.

IF LAC lose and it's a BIG if, then Bills have a 50/50 shot with just a win at MIA separating them from breaking the drought. I'd love it, but it seems a pipe dream right now. 

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I respectfully disagree.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

IF LAC lose and it's a BIG if, then Bills have a 50/50 shot with just a win at MIA separating them from breaking the drought. I'd love it, but it seems a pipe dream right now. 

IT'S NOT A BIG IF

The chargers are WAY over-rated by you. I'm telling you.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

IT'S NOT A BIG IF

The chargers are WAY over-rated by you. I'm telling you.

I hope you're right, I really do. They won seven straight before falling to the Chiefs for the second time this season . Sometimes a team just has your number and matches up well. Anyway, they were considered a hot team by many pundits going into that game and I don't think they've cooled off all that much. I'd feel better about the game the way McCown was playing this season. I can't see the Jets winning a game with Petty right now. 

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Boatdrinks should make a killing on a two week parlay.  He has all of the results locked up

Nah... I don't bet. Mostly because I know if I bet that outcome it's a stone cold lock NOT to happen! I should always play the Pats in games I want them to lose, but just can't bring myself to root for that team... ever. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's mathematically possible. It's also extremely unlikely. It was very likely if TEN had hung on vs SF yesterday . 

No.  You're playing a mathematical game and looking at schedules and penciling in Ws and Ls...  one of the entire points I started this thread initially was because I think doing that is just foolish.

It's the NFL and absolutely anything can happen.  I'd love that phrase to transpire into 2 straight Ws for Buffalo, but knowing that we're unlikely to see that just given our history, we root for Ls in any given situation for the other teams competing for the Wildcard with us.  Being happy that a team also competing for the Wildcard wins and keeps pace with us 3 games before the season ends, I would say, is just wrong.

If these permutations occur, we can do that in week 17, but first and foremost I'm rooting for a Buffalo W this weekend, followed by an L by the Ravens, Titans, AND Chargers.  I'm sure all 3 don't lose, but I'd also bet 1 or 2 of them lose.