We are not accumulating talent, we are trying to build a tea

Preseason game 2. Say it with me...Preseason...Game...2..

I can still remember this refrain 9-10 years ago. When preseason games didn't go well, people retreated into this theme to explain why the team wasn't playing well. They assured everyone that by the regular season everything would come together.

They may use vanilla schemes and not go with the full playbook. We get that. Yet, when you line up against the opponent, players aren't winning the 1 on 1 battles. Playbooks and schemes won't affect that a great deal.

They are what they are: a team lacking talent with a new HC, staff, and trying to find the right players to fit their new schemes.

I never thought talent and team building were mutually exclusive, especially assuming that everyone in the NFL is talented. Its the highest level of football. I was hopeful that this new regime would put the fan base first and build around the talent on this team. With a decent defense, this team would have competed for the playoffs, assuming we kept Sammy. After last night I see we have major problems on the offensive side of the ball. In particular O-line and Wide receivers. Once again Ego and Pride is place above the fans. Does these guys believe they will be around long enough to develop any draft picks, if they are not winning in 2-3 years?

Fans have been moaning for years that the team hasn't done a proper rebuild and accumulate drafts picks. Then as soon as they do, fans moan..... Edited by Mountain Man

Can we just drop the nonsense about ego, blah, blah, blah? You have a HC and GM that, yes, are building a team. The preseason is telling them where they have issues and where they need to focus on that building. It has nothing to do with ego etc. and they should be here for more than2-3 years. The problem this team has had for years is there has been no continuity in terms of establishing an actual team and philosophy of play that can be sustained.

Oh, bull manure! The problem the team has had for years is that the FO's philosophy is a commitment to maximizing profits not winning football games, and that means keeping salaries as low as possible because that constitutes the bulk of the expenses. Over the last 15 years, since about 2002, the Bills have repeatedly shed their top DBs or WRs, usually first or second rounders and replaced them with first or second rounders in the next draft. Consequently, they don't have the draft picks to fill other personnel needs ... like OLers or LBs or QBs. When the Bills have spent big, they've spent on big names that would excite the fan base and put butts in the seats. Takeo Spikes, Terrell Owens, Mario Williams all fit that mold. So does Rex Ryan.

How do you "build a team" when you consistently send the best talent you have packing? In 2017 that was Watkins, Gilmore, Woods, and Gillislee. The number of ex-Bills who have gone on to other teams and had not only personal success but helped their teams win in the playoffs is mind boggling compared to the Bills' inability to make the playoffs for the last 17 seasons. In the mid-2000s, Minnesota had one of the toughest defenses in the NFL, compliments of three Bills rejects: Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, and Pat Williams. Another Bills reject, Ruben Brown, helped the Chicago Bears make the Super Bowl. Jabari Greer has a Super Bowl ring with the Saints. Marshawn Lynch has one, too, and so does Chris Hogan. Jason Peters anchors the Philly OL at LT, has been an All Pro repeatedly, and even at his age and post-Achilles injury, is still a better LT than anybody the Bills have had since, including Cordy Glenn who is a good LT just not as good as Peters.

I can still remember this refrain 9-10 years ago. When preseason games didn't go well, people retreated into this theme to explain why the team wasn't playing well. They assured everyone that by the regular season everything would come together.

They may use vanilla schemes and not go with the full playbook. We get that. Yet, when you line up against the opponent, players aren't winning the 1 on 1 battles. Playbooks and schemes won't affect that a great deal.

They are what they are: a team lacking talent with a new HC, staff, and trying to find the right players to fit their new schemes.

The last sentence in your post is the unappealing truth that many people refuse to accept. This team in bulk lacks the talent to be a serious team. What did anyone expect from an organization that couldn't find a credible franchise qb in over a quarter century? In your last post you nailed the core problem that goes beyond the qb position i.e. a general lack of talent and an again adjusting of the roster to fit another change in scheme.

The people who believe that this team taken over by the new regime was close to being a playoff team are not being realistic. This is a rebuild while attempting to be competitive and respectable. Beane/McDermott, especially Beane, have clearly stated that this rebuild is going to be done primarily through the draft. It's going to take at least four years (my opinion). Some people find that reality hard to take. The truth whether it is ugly or not is simply the truth.

Oh, bull manure! The problem the team has had for years is that the FO's philosophy is a commitment to maximizing profits not winning football games, and that means keeping salaries as low as possible because that constitutes the bulk of the expenses. Over the last 15 years, since about 2002, the Bills have repeatedly shed their top DBs or WRs, usually first or second rounders and replaced them with first or second rounders in the next draft. Consequently, they don't have the draft picks to fill other personnel needs ... like OLers or LBs or QBs. When the Bills have spent big, they've spent on big names that would excite the fan base and put butts in the seats. Takeo Spikes, Terrell Owens, Mario Williams all fit that mold. So does Rex Ryan.

How do you "build a team" when you consistently send the best talent you have packing? In 2017 that was Watkins, Gilmore, Woods, and Gillislee. The number of ex-Bills who have gone on to other teams and had not only personal success but helped their teams win in the playoffs is mind boggling compared to the Bills' inability to make the playoffs for the last 17 seasons. In the mid-2000s, Minnesota had one of the toughest defenses in the NFL, compliments of three Bills rejects: Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, and Pat Williams. Another Bills reject, Ruben Brown, helped the Chicago Bears make the Super Bowl. Jabari Greer has a Super Bowl ring with the Saints. Marshawn Lynch has one, too, and so does Chris Hogan. Jason Peters anchors the Philly OL at LT, has been an All Pro repeatedly, and even at his age and post-Achilles injury, is still a better LT than anybody the Bills have had since, including Cordy Glenn who is a good LT just not as good as Peters.

Pretty much every example we're under different regimes. Get it through your head that we have a new owner, new GM, new HC and they are not the people of the past.

Let's look at the ones the current regime is responsible for. Gilisslee. Too much for a backup RB. J Will is doing fine. Woods. Got a huge FA deal for a #2 WR. Gilmore: would have liked to see him stay but again got a huge deal to leave. And Watkins I have said I would not have done.

Get off this nonsense about other GMs etc. and yes it is about time we have a GM and HC that are in synch and that are actually given the time to structure a team. In case you haven't noticed successful teams have that.

I always get frustrated 2ith the 2 or 3 days after a game when platitudes and sound bites overtake the board

Preseason is brutal. We don't know this teamat all and we are purely speculating

Sorry, Boyst, but I've seen this same kind of trash much too often over the last 17 preseasons to fall for that line. Preseason win-loss records may mean nothing, but how the team plays means everything. This Bills team didn't play well at all on offense or special teams. The starting OL is a dumpster fire on pass protection; not even Aaron Rodgers would have much success behind it. My guess is that the running game will deteriorate because defenses will regularly put 8 in the box to stop it, confident that the Bills can't pass. The defense looks good but the secondary is worrysome; Carson Wentz isn't Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees or Phillip Rivers.

Trust the process

Discipline

No mental errors

Just keep telling yourselves that!

We all know that the OL just needs time to "gel", which it magically will do by Sept 10.

Playing a not to lose style of football is bad to begin with, but when you combine it with a team that is one of the most limited passing wise, and a QB that struggles late in games...trying to hang around or keep it close becomes a horrible choice.

I will only be able to endure one season of that in order to get that franchise QB.

If ownership and management are worried about revenue they need to take a lesson from the past. The Bills of the early 80's were awful but not only is this fan base vocal and vituperous they're also knowlegeable. They paid hard earned blue collar dollars to watch Levy and Polian build a winner. They recognized a franchise QB when they saw one and lived through the growing pains to get a winner. They paid for Smith and Talley and Loften jerseys as much as Kelly ones. I was there and saw it. Bills fans will pay to see the process not just the result. This ain't new england fairweather fans. Beane and McD aren't stupid, they know who they have to move on from as well as we do. They just need to get on with it.

Edited by billsfan60