Josh Rosen's Comments on academics and football

The guy is a loose cannon who has demonstrated very poor judgement. I would never draft him.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/11/11406540/josh-rosen-donald-trump-golf-course-hat-ucla-quarterback

Did you watch the show where Peterman worked with Gruden? Gruden has a man crush on him.

Spiller ran scared. He was afraid of getting hit.

He's a loose cannon because he calls out a 70 year old man whose life is trying to bullying people? I like Rosen because he calls out that idiot.

That said, who cares? Incognito is a giant Trump guy who did a million worse things than Rosen has done in college and I support him as a Bill.

I think most of the people who have a problem with Rosen is because they are Trump fans.

But they don't need to go to college to be a janitor or a chef or a truck driver or many other very honorable professions. Kids who are maybe not college material have virtually one venue to show themselves for the NFL - COLLEGE football.

Look, as I said earlier, Rosen was wrong to single out Alabama, but it's true that different schools have different floors for student/athlete admission. I'm sure Bama is a fine school. Many of your posts seem designed to defend "your" school, and that's not my point. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to go do the college thing first, and that's not always a good fit.

Good post and I guess he singled out Bama because they are the top dogs. Bama is a fine school but I've never once heard about it as a great academic school, especially for football players.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a loose cannon because he calls out a 70 year old man whose life is trying to bullying people? I like Rosen because he calls out that idiot.

That said, who cares? Incognito is a giant Trump guy who did a million worse things than Rosen has done in college and I support him as a Bill.

I think most of the people who have a problem with Rosen is because they are Trump fans.

Good post and I guess he singled out Bama because they are the top dogs. Bama is a fine school but I've never once heard about it as a great academic school, especially for football players.

I think he has a son who went to Bama. I've know people who went there and I'm sure there are plenty of smart people getting good educations. I'm in Atlanta and surrounded by great Bama and Auburn folks. But let's face it, some schools have a higher floor than others for entry, even if you are a 5 Star player. That's real, but it's only one factor.

As for liking or disliking players (or entertainers) based on politics, I just want to win. I'd prefer they keep their mouths shut since I don't care, but when you're 20 years old maybe you don't get that yet. I'll give him a pass on that part, regardless of how I feel and how he feels on a topic. Live and learn...

The guy is a loose cannon who has demonstrated very poor judgement. I would never draft him.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/11/11406540/josh-rosen-donald-trump-golf-course-hat-ucla-quarterback

You're making me like him more with this link. But I'm with C. Biscuit - if Incognito (a guy who was a wretched human not long ago) blocks well and refrains from felonies, I'm on board.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think he has a son who went to Bama. I've know people who went there and I'm sure there are plenty of smart people getting good educations. I'm in Atlanta and surrounded by great Bama and Auburn folks. But let's face it, some schools have a higher floor than others for entry, even if you are a 5 Star player. That's real, but it's only one factor.

As for liking or disliking players (or entertainers) based on politics, I just want to win. I'd prefer they keep their mouths shut since I don't care, but when you're 20 years old maybe you don't get that yet. I'll give him a pass on that part, regardless of how I feel and how he feels on a topic. Live and learn...

I generally agree with. I don't want to root for scumbags and just want winners.

However, some of these guys have a big platform and they can help others. Rosen gains nothing by speaking out. He will be fine no matter what. But what if this opens up dialogue to improve the way schools handle athletes and academics? Or perhaps a way for football and basketball players to skip college and get paid out of high school like every other sport can?

I know it's hard for some here to believe it, but I have friends with many diverse opinions on things. It's boring if everyone thinks the same. I'd argue Rosen is more mature than the leader of the country.

You're making me like him more with this link. But I'm with C. Biscuit - if Incognito (a guy who was a wretched human not long ago) blocks well and refrains from felonies, I'm on board.

Dave, read this if you haven't read it. Made me really like Rosen. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theplayerstribune.com/josh-rosen-conor-mcdermott-ucla/amp/

Spoiler alert: Rosen and his LT have very different opinions on a lot of things and they are great friends!

I think we should field a team of SJWs. Let's start by drafting Rosen and signing Kapernick to back him up.

It's all making sense. If he went to Bama or wore a Hilary for Prison hat, you'd love the guy. Sorry, Kaepernick and Rosen will have better NFL careers than any Bama qb in the last 40 years.

Terms like snowflakes and SJWs are super fresh, BTW.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I generally agree with. I don't want to root for scumbags and just want winners.

However, some of these guys have a big platform and they can help others. Rosen gains nothing by speaking out. He will be fine no matter what. But what if this opens up dialogue to improve the way schools handle athletes and academics? Or perhaps a way for football and basketball players to skip college and get paid out of high school like every other sport can?

I know it's hard for some here to believe it, but I have friends with many diverse opinions on things. It's boring if everyone thinks the same. I'd argue Rosen is more mature than the leader of the country.

Dave, read this if you haven't read it. Made me really like Rosen. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theplayerstribune.com/josh-rosen-conor-mcdermott-ucla/amp/

Spoiler alert: Rosen and his LT have very different opinions on a lot of things and they are great friends!

That's a cool read. Doesn't look like he'll have any trouble adjusting to an NFL locker room.

What anger, what hate. BTW, John McCain isn't a Boomer; the Baby Boom generation was so named for the surge in births following WWII and is generally considered to run from 1946 to 1964. McCain was born in 1936. I wonder if the rest of your factoids are equally well-researched.

The whole "Generation" thing is the creation of lazy media and even lazier academics. There is no true coherent set of characteristics that can be applied to hundreds of millions of people worldwide. For every example found that's emblematic of a supposed "generational characteristic," another can easily be found to contradict it. For every kid who can't seem to get out of Mom's basement, there is a Zuckerberg or a Bren. Generalizing any group is not only intellectually lazy, it it is dangerous.

For the record, as a pre-Boomer myself, I very much like the so-called Millenial Generation which includes my grandchildren and their friends.

I like how you called generalization lazy and dangerous, then generalized that you like millineals based on your grandchildren and friends. 😄

Nice. Btw, my wife alerted me to the original bleacher report piece, which espn cribbed from and sensationalized a bit (surprise, surprise). http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722587-josh-rosen-qa-ucla-qb-on-injuries-ncaa-and-post-nfl-goal-to-own-the-world?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

You do realize that this list *only* includes teams in last year's top 25 teams in the AP ranking, right?!? UCLA - as well as Northwestern, Duke, and UVA -- didn't finish in the top 25.

Sheesh.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yes, I realize that.

UCLA is a great school, but their football team isn't very good at the moment.

I was in LA in January and walked around the campus. It's not as good as UA, but it it's pretty nice.

Rosen inplies that UA has a good football team because it has low academic standards. However, UCLA's own data show that it has low standards for athletes (21.5 average ACT, 15% illiteracy). In spite of their low standards, they can't compete with schools that have similar or better academics (Stanford, Madison, OSU, Florida).

Rosen is full of ****. Besides that, he is a whinner. The cry baby should shut his mouth and strap it up and play football.

Edited by Sky Diver

UCLA isn't even a blip on Alabama's radar, but you have to respond to the trash talk, especially when it is so absurd.

Alabama is the better football program. UCLA is the better academic school. Let it go, you both win.

But would they be if Bama had higher academic standards?

It just goes to show how amazing of a program Stanford is. One of the few big time schools that holds its athletes to him academic standards and is consistently a top program.

David Shaw is a great coach and one of the few big coaches who does it the "right way."

Yes, I realize that.

UCLA is a great school, but their football team isn't very good at the moment.

I was in LA in January and walked around the campus. It's not as good as UA, but it it's pretty nice.

Rosen inplies that UA has a good football team because it has low academic standards. However, UCLA's own data show that it has low standards for athletes (21.5 average ACT, 15% illiteracy). In spite of their low standards, they can't compete with schools that have similar or better academics (Stanford, Madison, OSU, Florida).

Rosen is full of ****. Besides that, he is a whinner. The cry baby should shut his mouth and strap it up and play football.

UCLA had a bad season last year because their very good QB went down with an injury halfway through the season. It happens. They'll never win a national championship because frankly the donors and alumni really don't care that much about football there (trust me). A three- or two-loss season is the best they'll ever do. Anyway, this is turning into a crusade (e.g., impressionistic anecdotes about campus beauty to make your "side" look better plus the childish name calling). I'm out.

Alabama is the better football program. UCLA is the better academic school. Let it go, you both win.

It just goes to show how amazing of a program Stanford is. One of the few big time schools that holds its athletes to him academic standards and is consistently a top program.

David Shaw is a great coach and one of the few big coaches who does it the "right way."

Yep. Stanford does an exceptional job.

UCLA had a bad season last year because their very good QB went down with an injury halfway through the season. It happens. They'll never win a national championship because frankly the donors and alumni really don't care that much about football there (trust me). A three- or two-loss season is the best they'll ever do. Anyway, this is turning into a crusade (e.g., impressionistic anecdotes about campus beauty to make your "side" look better plus the childish name calling). I'm out.

Wise move. Some pretty obvious stuff is being lost in the blur of personal bias. There is a middle ground. As stated above, Alabama has a better football program and UCLA is superior in academics. What are the reasons for those facts? Those can be argued, but why?

You really love Bama. I'll give you that.

That was very kindly phrased with a positive slant, and he still couldn't let it go.