Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

On 10/28/2021 at 6:11 PM, Muppy said:

this post is for my buddy @leh-nerd skin-erd maybe if I ask nicely he'll post his fav LS song....? 🙂

PS: may I just say that being hoisted up on a guys shoulders at rock shows was sooo much fun :-)))))))))

The Tuesdays Gone clip has great visuals of the female backup singers as well as piano/organ solos Primo stuff mates Top Shelf.

m

Hey Mup-

There are very few songs by Skynyrd that I don’t enjoy.  I started listening to the band right after the crash, and the songs take me back to some great times in my childhood.   

Tuesday’s Gone, Gimme Back My Bullets and Don’t Ask Me No Questions would be at the top.  Not a big fan of “That Smell” btw, probably because I started listening right after the crash and that realization that life could change in an instant was a bit overwhelming to me at the time. 

Interestingly, I credit LS in part with helping to make me a better father when I had children many years later.  My kids were into the music of their time, including of course, some rap.  

It occurred to me one day as I considered my suburban, middle class child rapping along to Eminem that he didn’t really have all that much in common with the music.  It then occurred to me that in 1970s WNY and in all the years since,   there weren’t whiskey bottles, a handful of ludes, nor a man walking in with a gun in his hand looking for you know who.   At least, not for me.

So, as time went on, I tried to meet my children where they were musically (with few exceptions), listen to what they played and talked about why they liked it.  All it did was bring us closer.  😉

Thanks for asking!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Hey Mup-

There are very few songs by Skynyrd that I don’t enjoy.  I started listening to the band right after the crash, and the songs take me back to some great times in my childhood.   

Tuesday’s Gone, Gimme Back My Bullets and Don’t Ask Me No Questions would be at the top.  Not a big fan of “That Smell” btw, probably because I started listening right after the crash and that realization that life could change in an instant was a bit overwhelming to me at the time. 

Interestingly, I credit LS in part with helping to make me a better father when I had children many years later.  My kids were into the music of their time, including of course, some rap.  

It occurred to me one day as I considered my suburban, middle class child rapping along to Eminem that he didn’t really have all that much in common with the music.  It then occurred to me that in 1970s WNY and in all the years since,   there weren’t whiskey bottles, a handful of ludes, nor a man walking in with a gun in his hand looking for you know who.   At least, not for me.

So, as time went on, I tried to meet my children where they were musically (with few exceptions), listen to what they played and talked about why they liked it.  All it did was bring us closer.  😉

Thanks for asking!

I feel blessed to have seen them in Savannah Ga before the crash.

We share the same favorites, along with freebird...

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Figster said:

I feel blessed to have seen them in Savannah Ga before the crash.

We share the same favorites, along with freebird...

I was in SC this weekend, attended the Clemson game.  After that, we were in a bar in Greenville when “Sweet Home Alabama” came on, the crowd amped up noticeably.  That song has had some incredible staying power, as has Free Bird. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Muppy said:

kind of scattered no real connecting actors to todays posts just interesting youtubes I wanted to archive  🙂

Lattice of coincidence. Heard this for the first time a few weeks ago hanging with a friend. He told me it was Boz and said guess the guitarist. Mentally  Duane was my best guess -but I dismissed it cuz I didn't think Boz went back that far.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Lattice of coincidence. Heard this for the first time a few weeks ago hanging with a friend. He told me it was Boz and said guess the guitarist. Mentally  Duane was my best guess -but I dismissed it cuz I didn't think Boz went back that far.

Think Boz was in the Steve Miller Blues Band before it became SMB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

Think Boz was in the Steve Miller Blues Band before it became SMB.

I did not know that. I'm sometimes amazed at the great music I've never heard. This thread has been good for that.

BTW, Dumb All Over deserved more than one like from me. I remember hearing a rockin' live version many years ago - back when the term bootleg would have applied.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I was in SC this weekend, attended the Clemson game.  After that, we were in a bar in Greenville when “Sweet Home Alabama” came on, the crowd amped up noticeably.  That song has had some incredible staying power, as has Free Bird. 

Having lived the single life in Decatur Alabama for awhile in my younger years my appreciation for the song grew even more. ;  )

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I did not know that. I'm sometimes amazed at the great music I've never heard. This thread has been good for that.

BTW, Dumb All Over deserved more than one like from me. I remember hearing a rockin' live version many years ago - back when the term bootleg would have applied.

I'm more 60's 70's so there is quite a bit out there other than the crap put out nowadays as I'm sure you know. Here,,, check out an obscure band on the Mainstream label (same label as the Amboy Dukes, Big Brother and the Holding Company, etc. Nice chick vocals with a psych mood.

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm more 60's 70's so there is quite a bit out there other than the crap put out nowadays as I'm sure you know. Here,,, check out an obscure band on the Mainstream label (same label as the Amboy Dukes, Big Brother and the Holding Company, etc. Nice chick vocals with a psych mood.

I'm all over the place with what I listen to and what I like.  Hard rock, blues. metal, punk, reggae, ska, pop,...recently I revisited  some of the 70's Soul Train-ish stuff.  And if there's humor involved, even better - pretty sure we both share a love of Zappa.

There are still great bands making music. One band worth checking out (if you're not already familiar) is Umphreys McGee.  IMO they're a jam band without the hippie mentality. They play pretty much every genre that I like, great live band and have a history of mashups/medleys like this (Marley/Talking Heads/Chicago/Zappa):

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm all over the place with what I listen to and what I like.  Hard rock, blues. metal, punk, reggae, ska, pop,...recently I revisited  some of the 70's Soul Train-ish stuff.  And if there's humor involved, even better - pretty sure we both share a love of Zappa.

There are still great bands making music. One band worth checking out (if you're not already familiar) is Umphreys McGee.  IMO they're a jam band without the hippie mentality. They play pretty much every genre that I like, great live band and have a history of mashups/medleys like this (Marley/Talking Heads/Chicago/Zappa):

Ahh, Chicago. Yes, I love Zappa but Terry is for sure in my top 10 guitarists ever... closer to 5 really. 

• Like (+1) 2