Darnold might stay in school for 2 more years

I live just outside Indy so I read and hear a lot about Luck. He is a very good QB that has had no O line in front of him. Thus, because of a compromised running game and poor protection their success is on his shoulders, and he sometimes tries to make plays he shouldn't.

He's very good. I'd take him in a heartbeat. But jury's out if he'll be one of the greats.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live just outside Indy so I read and hear a lot about Luck. He is a very good QB that has had no O line in front of him. Thus, because of a compromised running game and poor protection their success is on his shoulders, and he sometimes tries to make plays he shouldn't.

He's very good. I'd take him in a heartbeat. But jury's out if he'll be one of the greats.

He's a top QB for sure. Needs a better team around him.

So your data is two games...LOLOLOLOL. Maybe I can show just two games of where he was clutch and that's a strong enough argument?

I'm certainly not idolizing him but to say he's just average is absurd. It's as bad as saying Reggie Ragland can't play in the NFL and if the Bills wouldn't have taken him in the 2nd he would have fell to the 6th....teams only would take a flyer on him and that's it.

You certainly ARE idolizing him. If TT made those exact two plays against the Pats in one game and the Fish in another people here would be SCREAMING when we re-signed him. The ONLY thing saving Luck from the same fate is that everyone and their brother touted him as the next big thing.

Every player makes mistakes. I'm not saying Luck is the worst QB in the league. What I am saying is:

1. Calling someone the "3rd most clutch QB of 2016" when his team very well could have won their division if he could have managed two separate one yard gains that were both right there in front of him, is inaccurate.

2. The idolization of him is absurd.

3. The same thing is beginning to happen with Darnold. It also happened with Jay Clocker after his junior year. This does not mean Darnold will fail or even that he won't be great....but I sure as heck wouldn't blow up an NFL team to get any player.

...agree on all accounts......Irsay and Grigson, a/k/a Mutt 'n Jeff did one helluva job putting a team around him.......Grigson even had the gonads to blame Luck's extension for his inability to sign better players......perfect landing spot for him was Cleveland...misery loves company.........

You certainly ARE idolizing him. If TT made those exact two plays against the Pats in one game and the Fish in another people here would be SCREAMING when we re-signed him. The ONLY thing saving Luck from the same fate is that everyone and their brother touted him as the next big thing.

Every player makes mistakes. I'm not saying Luck is the worst QB in the league. What I am saying is:

1. Calling someone the "3rd most clutch QB of 2016" when his team very well could have won their division if he could have managed two separate one yard gains that were both right there in front of him, is inaccurate.

2. The idolization of him is absurd.

3. The same thing is beginning to happen with Darnold. It also happened with Jay Clocker after his junior year. This does not mean Darnold will fail or even that he won't be great....but I sure as heck wouldn't blow up an NFL team to get any player.

This is just a really bad post full of inaccurate assumptions.

There's nothing I said that's even close to idolizing him.

Using two examples instead of his entire body of work as proof is pretty silly.

As for Darnold and the other guys, by next year's draft they will all be downgraded from the Godlike status they have right now. And desperate teams will talk themselves into drafting several at the top of round one. Some guy on WGR this afternoon was saying Darnold's delivery is suspect so the sharks are already circling.

This is just a really bad post full of inaccurate assumptions.

There's nothing I said that's even close to idolizing him.

Using two examples instead of his entire body of work as proof is pretty silly.

Those two examples blew the division for the Colts. It happens, even to good QBs, pitchers, hitters, fielders, WRs,...everybody. The problem is the universe turning around and calling him super clutch. That isn't true and it is right there in front of your eyes. Also not true: Kim Jong Il shot an 18 in a round of golf once.

Those two examples blew the division for the Colts. It happens, even to good QBs, pitchers, hitters, fielders, WRs,...everybody. The problem is the universe turning around and calling him super clutch. That isn't true and it is right there in front of your eyes. Also not true: Kim Jong Il shot an 18 in a round of golf once.

He wasn't clutch when we beat them in 2015.

I posted a link where it gives data on him being the 3rd most clutch QB in 2016....that's it. Then you take it, put words in my mouth and exaggerate what I said. These seem to be the basis for your arguments.

If we go by your criteria....no player has ever been "super clutch"....because as you said it happens to everyone.

He wasn't clutch when we beat them in 2015.

The linked article was about 2016, not 2015. Why don't we just say Terry Bradshaw was the most clutch QB in 2016?

I posted a link where it gives data on him being the 3rd most clutch QB in 2016....that's it. Then you take it, put words in my mouth and exaggerate what I said. These seem to be the basis for your arguments.

If we go by your criteria....no player has ever been "super clutch"....because as you said it happens to everyone.

Are those plays ones that he should have made or are they not?

Would you agree that part of being clutch involves converting plays like that?

Had they won those two games would they have won the division?

I just don't know how anyone can call him the third most clutch QB in the NFL without completely ignoring two plays that cost his team the division. And why would someone do that if they were being objective? I'm not saying it makes him #32, but he completely blew it on those plays and they were very big plays. He was not #3. These trash articles and commentators talking about his greatness are simply pimping an NFL story line. My eyes are open to that. If he turns into a great player I will be the first to say it. I have nothing against him.

Edit: I'm done with Luck in this Darnold thread. The point I was trying to make is simply that Darnold is an unknown quantity and that tanking for him or anyone is silly.

Edited by 4merper4mer

The linked article was about 2016, not 2015. Why don't we just say Terry Bradshaw was the most clutch QB in 2016?

I just don't know how anyone can call him the third most clutch QB in the NFL without completely ignoring two plays that cost his team the division. And why would someone do that if they were being objective? I'm not saying it makes him #32, but he completely blew it on those plays and they were very big plays. He was not #3. These trash articles and commentators talking about his greatness are simply pimping an NFL story line. My eyes are open to that. If he turns into a great player I will be the first to say it. I have nothing against him.

Edit: I'm done with Luck in this Darnold thread. The point I was trying to make is simply that Darnold is an unknown quantity and that tanking for him or anyone is silly.

....LOL...if we had only "tanked" for Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell or Akaili Smith, etc....where the hell would we house those Lombardis??...............

I actually agree with you on this.

I guess your standards are at a different level.

I don't feel like you have to be clutch 100% of the time to be clutch. The data doesn't matter or whole body of work either....you'll focus on two plays.

I guess your standards are at a different level.

I don't feel like you have to be clutch 100% of the time to be clutch. The data doesn't matter or whole body of work either....you'll focus on two plays.

You have to not blow the weakest division in football to be in consideration for top 3 in the league.

I don't consider that an unreasonable standard.

Edited by 4merper4mer

...ANY collegian entering the NFL is an unknown quantity.....if not, how could there EVER be a 1st round BUST at QB spot or any position for that matter?.......reality check here.............

This is correct.

You have to not blow the weakest division in football to be in consideration for top 3 in the league.

Luck is top ten, but I wouldn't place him in the top five. Not yet.

So your criteria to be considered clutch, you have to come through 100% of the time against weaker teams. That basically means that clutch QB's can never be upset in a game.

So your criteria to be considered clutch, you have to come through 100% of the time against weaker teams. That basically means that clutch QB's can never be upset in a game.

He is the awesomest of the awesome. He is so good he doesn't even need to win to be considered the best.

I said this before. He can and will choose when he wants to come out. I doubt he would come out next season if the Bills had the first overall pick.

I saw an interesting segment (sorry, no link) w Colin Cowherd where he talked about this. He said an Eli like intervention (no San Diego) may be in the works if Buffalo, Cleveland, or the Jets are in the position to draft him. (Cowherd's order) Said those franchises have not earned the right to draft such a good prospect. I now hope one of those cities draft him and have the stones to stick with the rights they have in the draft, including letting him sit out a couple of years so he can reenter if it goes that far. I don't like Cowherd, but, happened to catch that segment today.

I saw an interesting segment (sorry, no link) w Colin Cowherd where he talked about this. He said an Eli like intervention (no San Diego) may be in the works if Buffalo, Cleveland, or the Jets are in the position to draft him. (Cowherd's order) Said those franchises have not earned the right to draft such a good prospect. I now hope one of those cities draft him and have the stones to stick with the rights they have in the draft, including letting him sit out a couple of years so he can reenter if it goes that far. I don't like Cowherd, but, happened to catch that segment today.

He thinks quite a bit of himself for a guy never to have played one down in the NFL.