Jimmy Connors amazing point 1991 U.S. Open

TSNBDSC

Absolute magic! Was that really late at night? The one where he screams "hey! I'm 40 years old busting my ass out here!", or something like that? Great run.

(One of those overheads should have bounced out of the stadium, I must say.)

I still vaguely remember the Krickstein match

I think that's the one that went so late. Right?

He threw up like 3 very short lobs and just got lucky. Most decent club players would have put that away. I'd be ashamed to have lost that point. But it was indeed fantastic to watch.

He threw up like 3 very short lobs and just got lucky. Most decent club players would have put that away. I'd be ashamed to have lost that point. But it was indeed fantastic to watch.

Yeah I believe so, 5 sets, and I think he was down 2-5 in the 5th one.

Wasn't until I got older and realized how impressive his run that year was.

Well there was some luck but he went with the lobs to give himself time to get back into position from the corner baselines.

Well there was some luck but he went with the lobs to give himself time to get back into position from the corner baselines.

I get that, you need time. Go cross court and high when you need to recover. Those lobs were so short it was like winning the Lotto that one didn't bounce out of the stadium on the return. I play 3-5 times a week at a respectable level, and I would be disappointed with each of those lobs. There's nothing wrong with a lob.....there is EVERYTHING wrong with a short lob. Three in a row? Fun to watch but lucky....

Remember it like it was yesterday.

I used to be an avid tennis fan, but lost interest as the years went by.

I miss these days. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

On a humorous note, I was in a very talented Monday night doubles league at one point in Florida for years. I got lucky the first couple weeks one time so I floated up to court #1 where I was paired with a guy I knew (who had a full ride to play for Univ of Fl), and his doubles partner from Canada when they played in area tournaments. A buddy came up to me before the start and said basically "I'm sure this is disconcerting for you, but the guy you really need to fear is the other guy. I live down the street from him, and I sat in his family room watching video of him against Connors and Lendl at the US Open." (Top 10 doubles player at one point, and about my age.) Thank God they were gracious! In 3 sets I won 9 games and held serve every time. A likely forgotten sidenote in their lives, and the highlight of my tennis career.

If you're not a tennis guy, I'm sorry if you read that.

I remember that match and that run vividly. I was never a connors fan (a big johnny Mac fan) but was really pulling for him.

Agree with the above re Connors getting lucky with those short lobs-- but those overheads should have been hit into the stands.

The best shot in that sequence was connors hitting that winner. A lot of guys after saving four shots and hustling hard would have missed that winner.

I miss the 70s so much for tennis.

Connors at least once picked out a few street kids hanging around Forest Hills to be his "team" for matches and brought them into the stadium to carry his bag and equipment.

I miss the 70s so much for tennis.

Connors at least once picked out a few street kids hanging around Forest Hills to be his "team" for matches and brought them into the stadium to carry his bag and equipment.

I miss tennis, too.

Was a big McEnroe fan. When he retired, I rooted for Agassi. When he was done, I stopped watching. I tried to get behind Roddick, but for some reason, I just couldn't.

I miss tennis, too.

Was a big McEnroe fan. When he retired, I rooted for Agassi. When he was done, I stopped watching. I tried to get behind Roddick, but for some reason, I just couldn't.

I know.... Big Mac fan myself...

I know.... Big Mac fan myself...

I even used a Dunlop Max 200g back in the day. That racket was stolen by a spoiled rich guy I went to high school with. He took it while I was away in the Navy. He's dead now (o.d. - I didn't kill him over the racket) and I never did get that racket back.

What a great era of tennis, though.

I even used a Dunlop Max 200g back in the day. That racket was stolen by a spoiled rich guy I went to high school with. He took it while I was away in the Navy. He's dead now (o.d. - I didn't kill him over the racket) and I never did get that racket back.

What a great era of tennis, though.

One of my friends still has a T-2000 and I hit with it recently. I felt surprisingly good. Go figure!

Remember it like it was yesterday.

I used to be an avid tennis fan, but lost interest as the years went by.

I miss these days. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Same here, went to the Open every year back in those days. In fact, we had tix to the evening session that day, with club access, etc. We decided to head down a few hours early just to be there and eat/drink in the VIP tent, so ended up watching that match on site with hundreds of people. The whole place was buzzing all night.

One of my friends still has a T-2000 and I hit with it recently. I felt surprisingly good. Go figure!

I liked McEnroe so much I emulated him. Those metal rackets bent too easily for my temper!