Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

I was at the game last night. There was little to no effort.  I don't know what I'm going to do the next time I see one of the Sabres defensemen flip the puck high out of their own zone.  Is that really part of Housley's genius "system"?

I have become so disinterested, god bless  for going. I had tickets a few weeks back in DC..sold them and actually made a few dollars.

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have become so disinterested, god bless  for going. I had tickets a few weeks back in DC..sold them and actually made a few dollars.

I always go to Sabres/Rangers if I can. Been here for 25 years and the Rags are my adopted local team.  The Sabres take precidence by a mile, but it is good to take one of my kids to the Garden for a game.  Always a full house. This time I took my youngest and we were in our Sabres gear. I saw way fewer Sabres fans than normal. Usually there's a good %. Not this time. 

We had fun yukking it up with the people sitting around us.   One side was a couple (both Ranger fans) and the wife grew up in Lockport. The other side was a guy and his daughter visiting from Calgary (Bruins fans - go figure). We talked a lot of hockey with him. In front of us was half a row of guys from Norway cheering for Zuccarello. Socializing was the only way I was getting through that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 76 on 3/26 vs. TOR at 7 PM ET
3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

raise your hand if you have watched more than 2 periods of the Sabres live in the last month or so. I am really curious if anyone that is in this thread has watched any lately. Last i can remember watching live is the first Maple Leaf game. 

GR has a twitter poll up asking if this is the worst season ever..and I absolutely think it is.

Yes, I watch every game (unfortunately).

Although last night I finally did walk away after 2 periods. 

I can't seem to bring myself to not watch at all. I question why all the time, yet I still watch. 

3 hours ago, snafu said:

I was at the game last night. There was little to no effort.  I don't know what I'm going to do the next time I see one of the Sabres defensemen flip the puck high out of their own zone.  Is that really part of Housley's genius "system"?

No, they've been doing that for a few years now. 

The one one that drives me the most crazy, that they've also done for years now, is when they just chip it into the neutral zone over and over and allow the other team to start their attack again immediately. It's like their only goal is to defend and chip it into the neutral zone, and then defend again. 

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

raise your hand if you have watched more than 2 periods of the Sabres live in the last month or so. I am really curious if anyone that is in this thread has watched any lately. Last i can remember watching live is the first Maple Leaf game. 

GR has a twitter poll up asking if this is the worst season ever..and I absolutely think it is.

LIVE?  No.

I DVR all games and watch every minute of all of them, but "tape delayed" so I can fast forward through commercials, intermissions, and even slow spots during the game when they are not at commercial, such as a long review or any type of delay. LOL.

I can knock off a game in an hour.

So, is this the worst season ever?  Yes, it might be, b/c this season is no different or better than the Tank years, but we are not Tanking! 

My approach to all regular season games for a few years now is identical to my approach to say, pre-season games.

They are meaningless, I am not emotionally invested, and I don't really care who wins or loses.

It doesn't get much lower than that.  

It's almost, kind of, like we no longer have a meaningful NHL team that plays meaningful NHL hockey games. 

Edited by Fadingpain

Yes!!! 

I am am really pumped we signed Borgen. I was really worried he was gone TBH (I know he had 1 more year of school, but if he went back I just felt that sealed the deal of him going UFA).

Even more pumped that they didn't have to burn a year off his ELC to get it done! 

Good job Botts! I needed some positive Sabres news. We desperately needed to salvage as much of that 2015 draft as possible after giving up those two 1sts for Lehner and Kane (which we are likely to have almost nothing to show for by as soon as next season). 

That'll be a nice boost to Rochester's playoff hopes IMO. 

Now we just wait on Casey Mittelstadt news... (although I'm not really all that worried if he does go back to school this year

Edited by BillsFan4

12 hours ago, snafu said:

I always go to Sabres/Rangers if I can. Been here for 25 years and the Rags are my adopted local team.  The Sabres take precidence by a mile, but it is good to take one of my kids to the Garden for a game.  Always a full house. This time I took my youngest and we were in our Sabres gear. I saw way fewer Sabres fans than normal. Usually there's a good %. Not this time. 

We had fun yukking it up with the people sitting around us.   One side was a couple (both Ranger fans) and the wife grew up in Lockport. The other side was a guy and his daughter visiting from Calgary (Bruins fans - go figure). We talked a lot of hockey with him. In front of us was half a row of guys from Norway cheering for Zuccarello. Socializing was the only way I was getting through that game. 

I bet it wasn’t full Saturday. Games are no longer all selling out thanks to Dolan. He priced out a lot of fans in the lower bowl since the renovation. My family goes to about 20 games. I get to 8-10 depending if our friend has extras. I’ve been going for 21 years. The building isn’t the same. Too many rovers or unknowledgable fans who don’t wait for whistles. We sit all the way up in 419 final 2 rows. Limited view. So pricing doesn’t affect us. We don’t see the scoreboard. I don’t care. I’ll be at the final home game on Friday vs Tampa Blueshirts. Hard to believe the home season ends so early. 

As far as Buffalo, I thought Housley would do better. His quote the other night was pathetic. It’s Game 73 and you’re saying that. I’ve debated with my Sabres and diehard Bills pal over Eichel. He says they should consider moving him. I wouldn’t. This guy stays healthy, he will be a beast. I hope he can achieve elite status and help them turn it around. You guys have great and loyal fans. Back in the day, quite a few Sabres fans would invade MSG. 

They desperately need a defenseman. Obviously, Dahlin would be immense for that franchise. Ristolainen is good offensively but not so much on D. He is a 2. Give him a elite franchise guy and it can work. They should’ve done better for E. Kane. Maybe he’ll re-up in San Jose guaranteeing them a additional 1. 

Is Ullmark any good? Is he the future? Lehner doesn’t have it. They need a upgrade. They also need Reinhart to become a consistent scorer. 25-30 goals and 50-55 points. Nylander hasn’t done well at all. They should’ve gotten McAvoy. Oh well. You really gotta hit on those high picks. 

Edited by NYGPopgun10
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2018 at 9:26 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I haven't.  I can't do it.

I sincerely hope we win the damn lottery this time.  We need a break after all we've been through.  I do have faith in Botterill but at this point the Housley hiring looks like there's a dumpster fire smoldering.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I haven't.  I can't do it.

I sincerely hope we win the damn lottery this time.  We need a break after all we've been through.  I do have faith in Botterill but at this point the Housley hiring looks like there's a dumpster fire smoldering.

Lottery would be nice, but ain't a Sabre fan breathing air that thinks that will happen. I got my money on the Blackhawks or Islanders.

I might watch the game tonight on DVR starting around 9. i do like watching them play the leafs

I've never really understood the need for a lottery.  I really don't see much difference between tanking and the age old process of selling off your expiring contracts at the deadline.  One practice is condemned as not trying to win while the other is celebrated as trying to stock up for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

Yay. Excited to see him play. 

Sucks that they burn a year off his entry level contract though (even though he won't play more than 9 game in Buffalo. Because of his age, there is some stupid rule that if he plays even 1 NHL game this year it burns a year off his ELC). 

But it sounds like he will will still be exempt from a 2020 expansion draft, so that's good. 

Edited by BillsFan4

I'm kind of surprised that it took the extra week to get done.  But whatever, with this and Borgen, it'll be nice to not have to see any idiotic whining about kids going Vessey on us for a little while... well, at least until after next year's draft.

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

I've never really understood the need for a lottery.  I really don't see much difference between tanking and the age old process of selling off your expiring contracts at the deadline.  One practice is condemned as not trying to win while the other is celebrated as trying to stock up for the future.

The difference is that atleast your going into the season with the intention to try and win games. Your fielding your best possible team while intending to try and win until the deadline when it becomes apparent that your team can dump some expiring contracts and start rebuilding.

Pulling a Buffalo and going into the season with the intention or goal of being the worst so you get the best odds at the #1 pick is rarely done and frowned upon because people are paying good money to watch and be entertained by the team and it doesn't help the league when teams intentions aren't to try and win every game.