House Hunters

I admit I enjoy the ones where I live, or used to live. Staged or not, it's cool to see the area and what options exist at different price points. But I've been fortunate to live in some pretty cool places.

Yeah I was waiting for that.

i went to high school with a guy who was on there. they had effectively decided the house already. great looking couple, no kids yet. newly-ish married and he is a professor or was at ARizona. the show caught up iwth them and had them look at other houses, one way out of the price budget and another that was a fixer upper. they chose the obvious choice as is always the case.

i went to high school with a guy who was on there. they had effectively decided the house already. great looking couple, no kids yet. newly-ish married and he is a professor or was at ARizona. the show caught up iwth them and had them look at other houses, one way out of the price budget and another that was a fixer upper. they chose the obvious choice as is always the case.

The scenery and places were not staged.

The scenery and places were not staged.

No, but they do stretch things. I was watching an Atlanta area show and they flashed to a scene from where I take my dog to the Framers Market on weekends. I had to re-wind....those areas were not really close to each other, but they were trying to make appealing TV.

We rented a place at T Lake last year. Thought it was a great area. May be going back this year for 5 days. You out near Jefferson county?

Clearfield county It is right underneath Jefferson. It takes 20 minutes to get to DuBois where T. Lake is at.

No, but they do stretch things. I was watching an Atlanta area show and they flashed to a scene from where I take my dog to the Framers Market on weekends. I had to re-wind....those areas were not really close to each other, but they were trying to make appealing TV.

framers market?

Lots of art?

population of construction framers?

The most surprising aspect of these shows, along with ones like Beachfront Bargain Hunt, is when they ask the buyer's budget, and they say 500k or even up to 1 million. Where are these younger people getting that much for a house?

The most surprising aspect of these shows, along with ones like Beachfront Bargain Hunt, is when they ask the buyer's budget, and they say 500k or even up to 1 million. Where are these younger people getting that much for a house?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laraparker/people-keep-making-the-same-joke-about-house-hunters-and?utm_term=.se2wG6Ygl8#10929440

framers market?

Lots of art?

population of construction framers?

Or maybe cops with high conviction rates? It couldn't have been me, so I'll blame auto correct.

But it may have been a farmers market....

post-24435-0-53797600-1496674070_thumb.jpg

The fix it shows are always the ones that get me on budget. They talk about redoing a kitchen for $10-$20k....guess if the labor is free you can do a new kitchen for $20k.

BTW , my brother in law's house was on a house hunter episode, one of the homes that did not get picked. They came to record his house a good two months after the folks had bought another house, and my BIL had decided to stay and remodel. They just did not show the areas where thy had stated the remodel.

Edited by plenzmd1

The fix it shows are always the ones that get me on budget. They talk about redoing a kitchen for $10-$20k....guess if the labor is free you can do a new kitchen for $20k.

BTW , my brother in law's house was on a house hunter episode, one of the homes that did not get picked. They came to record his house a good two months after the folks had bought another house, and my BIL had decided to stay and remodel. They just did not show the areas where thy had stated the remodel.

Maybe if they are just painting cabinets instead of replacing. We've done a bunch of remodeling and their "prices" really piss my wife off!

We sold a house in Florida to a couple in their early 30's for $750,000....all cash. Good thing as it might have appraised for $100k less (but worth every penny and probably $1 mil+ Today, 6 years later.) They had been looking in our neighborhood for 3 years. Wife came in around noon, got the husband that evening and we had a deal first thing in the morning. He worked for a family business that apparently did quite well. I suspect dad had their back.

Maybe if they are just painting cabinets instead of replacing. We've done a bunch of remodeling and their "prices" really piss my wife off!

We sold a house in Florida to a couple in their early 30's for $750,000....all cash. Good thing as it might have appraised for $100k less (but worth every penny and probably $1 mil+ Today, 6 years later.) They had been looking in our neighborhood for 3 years. Wife came in around noon, got the husband that evening and we had a deal first thing in the morning. He worked for a family business that apparently did quite well. I suspect dad had their back.

For DC inside the beltway, a $1m budget for a professional couple in the early 30's seems about right, and imagine that is the case in several urban areas in the US. Now, I think it would be hard in almost any profession outside of a tech startup cash out or big swinging Wall Street Richard to have $750K in cash at that age , so inheritance or just rich parents I am sure came into play.

And why someone would want to buy a house cash is just beyond me, makes very little financial sense with money at 3.5%...unless the money was a gift and no mortgage was going to be got!

For DC inside the beltway, a $1m budget for a professional couple in the early 30's seems about right, and imagine that is the case in several urban areas in the US. Now, I think it would be hard in almost any profession outside of a tech startup cash out or big swinging Wall Street Richard to have $750K in cash at that age , so inheritance or just rich parents I am sure came into play.

And why someone would want to buy a house cash is just beyond me, makes very little financial sense with money at 3.5%...unless the money was a gift and no mortgage was going to be got!

We could have paid our mortgage off, but with a 4.25% rate being tax deductible, we decided to hold off. We have a 3.625% rate on a condo in Nashville and the tax benefits were a big part of that decision.

The couple who bought our FL place may have later gotten a cash out refi, but it definitely made it a stronger offer. A potential tie-breaker, if you will. No fear of a lousy appraiser or some financing quirk messing up the deal. They won and by all accounts they are loving the house I loved, and hated to leave. :(