You guys know anybody

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my first job there was such a person, my cubicle mate. He basically did nothing outside of work and home other than go shopping. At work he would always eat lunch and almost always same thing. In meetings he would be there first to so he could sit in opposite corner. In required events he would go but basically keep to himself and leave as soon as possible. Nice guy if you could get him to talk to you.

Just curious do you view see somebody like this as weird or do you wish you could get to know them better? Or maybe a little of both.

Sounds like me. I can't recall the last time I interacted with people socially that wasn't work- or family-related. And frankly, I like it that way.

Best I heard it explained is that there's introverts and extroverts: extroverts find being alone tiring, and being with people refreshing. Introverts find being with people tiring, and being alone refreshing. I'm definitely an introvert - socializing is exhausting to me, and always has been (as a kindergartener I would have easily been considered autisic by current diagnostic standards). A lot of people think that's "wrong" and I need to be repaired somehow. It's not. It's just who I am, and who I've always been since I was three, and since I'm functional it's not a problem.

Which is really what people don't understand about behavior: there's no "normal" behavior, per se. There's functional, and non-functional. As unpopular a philosophy as this is nowadays...whatever your behavior, if you function in everyday life...then it's "normal" behavior.

There is no "normal" behavior! I love socializing as long as we are doing something, playing hockey, bowling, throwing darts, just being engaged. But I hate sitting around listening to people talk about crap for the most part. Though, I think its also important because everyone has something to teach you. I always learn things from people so I do my best not to be too reclusive. Some of the people I can't stand being around, that just have this need to blabber whatever is running through their head, have provided valuable information to me. But I'm forever trying to get away from them, lol

Just curious do you view see somebody like this as weird or do you wish you could get to know them better? Or maybe a little of both.

I did not find him weird, just seemed a bit shy, so I tried to interact with him to make him more comfortable.

It seemed to work for a bit in that he would sit near me in meetings and quietly discuss topic during lulls but I'd be echoing his ideas for him.

I would later tell manager or whomever was leading discussion it was his idea and I was not taking credit for it.

Later I moved desks as I went onto another assignment and his new office mate called me and asked how to get him to talk.

Sounds like me. I can't recall the last time I interacted with people socially that wasn't work- or family-related. And frankly, I like it that way.

Best I heard it explained is that there's introverts and extroverts: extroverts find being alone tiring, and being with people refreshing. Introverts find being with people tiring, and being alone refreshing. I'm definitely an introvert - socializing is exhausting to me, and always has been (as a kindergartener I would have easily been considered autisic by current diagnostic standards). A lot of people think that's "wrong" and I need to be repaired somehow. It's not. It's just who I am, and who I've always been since I was three, and since I'm functional it's not a problem.

Which is really what people don't understand about behavior: there's no "normal" behavior, per se. There's functional, and non-functional. As unpopular a philosophy as this is nowadays...whatever your behavior, if you function in everyday life...then it's "normal" behavior.

Why is this not surprising Tom?

Myself, I like to stalk people to get out of the house at night. I enjoy taking pictures of them thru thru the windows at night? It's great exercise and I get some fresh air every night before bedtime. I've been thinking of mailing the photos to the people I take pictures of, do you think they would like these photos for their collections?

But I'm functional right?