17 members of Bills scouting staff fired.

JM2009

I put their record against winning teams on the coaching more so then I do the talent.

The year before Rex arrived the Marrone led Bills beat some good teams.(and lost to some ****ty ones)

The talent isn't what it was two years ago, but the teams not completely devoid of talent IMO. Their front four can still be good. However, my point was letting players like Gilmore, MG and Robert Woods walk wasn't necessary.(not all 3 at least.)

It's not like they were over the hill, once was talented players. All three are in the prime of their careers. Its pretty much just McDermott wanting to put his own stamp on the team.

The way this team has been constructed it seems that it is a mishmash of players without an identity. Some of that has to do with the lack of vision by the GMs and some of it has to do with the changing schemes under different coaches.

The NFL of today is a system in which player movements are part of the environment. It's just the nature of the beast. The organizations that handle that player churning well are teams that draft well and have players on the roster ready to replace those who will depart. Not having high yield drafts affect the roster from a talent standpoint but just as importantly from a cap standpoint. Using younger and cheaper first contract players gives you more flexibility in keeping more of your players and also bringing in good value free agent players that also help you deal with the loss of talent.

The Gillisslee loss didn't make much sense to me. We could have given him a slightly higher tender and been in a better position to keep him or get a higher return from his departure. There was a sloppiness and thought in that particular transaction that reflected how slipshod this organization has been run.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. You made great points regarding what McDermott needs to do to be successful. This is why I view him as a boom or bust coach. It will either go very well, or very poorly.

I do believe that his success or lack of depends on more than just QB. No one is going to say that QB isn't the most important position on the field. Championship teams need to have a franchise QB. We have been looking for an answer at that position for years. It isn't the only reason we haven't made the playoffs. We have failed to field soild roster top to bottom rosters. Factor in the lack of a QB and we have been on a road to nowhere.

Having a QB allows for mistakes to be made elsewhere when building a team. If you don't have one you must do everything perfectly. It's also unlikely you'll win a championship without a QB. It doesn't mean you can't be a playoff team. Look at the starting QB's on this years playoff teams. They didn't all have franchise QB's. With well constructed rosters they snuck into the playoffs. If we could be that team no one will be complaining about McDermott. A playoff appearance would buy his regime time. Eventually with time you will find a QB. Before that time you can't just raise the white flag, or say nothing else matters. McDermott's success will depend on his own abilities. It won't depend on just the luck of finding a QB. Bad GM's can find their QB and still field bad teams. Just ask Andrew Luck and Drew Brees.

There are a number of reasons why this troubled franchised has struggled for so long. A simplistic general answer to your post is that this has been a second-rate organization run by second-rate people. There is no one reason why this franchise has failed to function in a serious way for more than a full generation. It's been a systemic problem for most of this franchise's history.

Resolving the qb issue is not going to solve all problems. But the lack of resolution that goes back to almost a quarter century clearly demonstrates how oddly this organization has been run. The lack of resolve and urgency to address that issue is outright weird and grotesquely stupid.

We are starting over again with this new regime. Although I have concerns with the wrestling coach I get the sense that he has thought about how a franchise should be run beyond the coaching sphere. That is a good thing. Having a blueprint and extensive thought process in what you want to do and are going to do is a change from the patchwork mentality that has plagued this superficial organization. Let's not even bother discussing the contrast between McDermott's thought process compared to the bombastic and former loud HC who was more an actor than a thinker. Rex as a HC was an embarrassment. The owner is the one who shares most of the blame for such a foolish and damaging hire.

I'm not discouraged by what I have seen with the new coaching team. But that doesn't mean that I am not wary about the coach and the situation. I'm cautiously optimistic with the awareness that there is no quick fix.

I have already said I am not like you and I do feel for people who lose their jobs and have mortgages to pay and families to feed whatever their profession. We are never going to agree on that point but I respect your right to take a different view.

What I am interested in is why you make this distinction between low level NFL scouts making a regular wage and other people earning the same wage in other professions? So I will repeat my question... what other professions do you consider "irregular" to the extent that the employees there are "not regular people"?

Yes of course we are t like each other and that's fine ... we don't have to agree.

We can agree to disagree which is just fine by me.

It's irregular because it's not a job typically taken for money....it's a job taken for the love of the game.

Any job that's done for love first and not living is 'irregular'.

Do you talk on the Foot Locker message boards about your local Mall shoe store and the kid who lost his job there?

Yes of course we are t like each other and that's fine ... we don't have to agree.

We can agree to disagree which is just fine by me.

It's irregular because it's not a job typically taken for money....it's a job taken for the love of the game.

Any job that's done for love first and not living is 'irregular'.

Ok so I know a guy at my local garden centre - do you guys have garden centres(?) - who has worked there 25 years and does that for love. Is he irregular as well? If the garden centre suddenly fires him would you feel the same about him as the Bills scout?

Or, is the truth of the matter, that this isn't really about what they earn, or whether they do their job for love but is simply a bitterness that means when someone that has a job you'd prefer to do than your own and gets fired from it you get some sense of satisfaction?

No it wasn't and that wasn't a cross worth dying on. You lost all credibility with that. Keep bringing nothing to the board though.

Thanks for the input mrs. Taylor. I think your son will do just fine leading us to 6-10 this year.

Edited by joesixpack

Ok so I know a guy at my local garden centre - do you guys have garden centres(?) - who has worked there 25 years and does that for love. Is he irregular as well? If the garden centre suddenly fires him would you feel the same about him as the Bills scout?

Or, is the truth of the matter, that this isn't really about what they earn, or whether they do their job for love but is simply a bitterness that means when someone that has a job you'd prefer to do than your own and gets fired from it you get some sense of satisfaction?

The truth of the matter is that I wouldn't feel any different if the Pats scouts all got canned.

It's not a matter of satisfaction. It's a matter of indifference.

Yes, being involved with a professional sports team is a sweet gig.

If garden centre George gets canned from the job he loves....he will find another one and I don't really care. If he butchered my plants then I will be happy.

...so where has it been stated that none are eligible for re-hire by the new guy?.....can't they go through the application process with resumes' in hand and the new guy interviews who he may be interested in?....there must be some talent there considering some of the "finds" over the last few years even if you hate on Whaley....all may not be lost just yet....stay tuned............

It is still a job that these guys rely on to pay their mortgages and feed their families and I see no logical reason for making a distinction.

Yes everyone has bills to pay and families to feed.

There are literally millions in NYState alone who have it worse than these guys who just got fired.

So if you want to keep on with the crocodile tears then you are entitled.

I put their record against winning teams on the coaching more so then I do the talent.

The year before Rex arrived the Marrone led Bills beat some good teams.(and lost to some ****ty ones)

The talent isn't what it was two years ago, but the teams not completely devoid of talent IMO. Their front four can still be good. However, my point was letting players like Gilmore, MG and Robert Woods walk wasn't necessary.(not all 3 at least.)

It's not like they were over the hill, once was talented players. All three are in the prime of their careers. Its pretty much just McDermott wanting to put his own stamp on the team.

That might be some of it, but I think it also had a lot to do with the Bills salary cap situation that Whaley out this team in, and the offers those players got on the open market.

IMO Robert Woods is not worth the (roughly) $8M a year he is getting.

I'm not sure Gilmore is worth the $13.5M he's getting (especially since the Bills will be running a zone coverage scheme), and even if he is the Bills couldn't afford it due to their cap situation and the large contracts handed out by the previous regime.

Gillislee may or may not be worth the $4M he's getting this year. They probably should have just put the 2nd round tender on him and been done with it. Who's decision that was, I do not know.

It doesn't seem like Gilmore and Woods had much of any desire to stay in Buffalo, either.

Edited by BillsFan4

Thanks for the input mrs. Taylor. I think your son will do just fine leading us to 6-10 this year.

problem here is that Taylor won 8 and 7 games, without playing a full season. No reason to think his limit is six games.

Every schedule is tough, every year, for every team. No game is a gimmie. It's the NFL.

This year is exceedingly tough. Add to that a new coaching staff trying to teach a guy who is naturally hesitant to pass and you see why I see six or fewer wins.

Every schedule is tough, every year, for every team. No game is a gimmie. It's the NFL.

Yes. Remember the 2015 home opener when we thought the win vs the Colts was a good one, or how about last seasons win vs the Cardinals? Every season is different. It's impossible to judge this seasons strength of schedule based on opponents records from the previous season. In the NFL you just have to go out and win games regardless of who you are playing. This is 6 or 7 win no matter who we play imo. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Yes. Remember the 2015 home opener when we thought the win vs the Colts was a good one, or how about last seasons win vs the Cardinals? Every season is different. It's impossible to judge this seasons strength of schedule based on opponents records from the previous season. In the NFL you just have to go out and win games regardless of who you are playing. This is 6 or 7 win no matter who we play imo.

7-9 for me.