Ever get caught interviewing from your employer?

That's how it usually goes in moving, set your priorities and hopefully not have to swallow too much mud to meet them.

I get HH calls but not in my specific field, but I can always drop out of the public firm and move over to the private sector in a similar kind of job.

TOP is usually better, rarely ends well though, they die off quick or they can't stop showing up at the office all day.

TOP also get indicted and can spend years fighting off legit or bogus charges.TOPS family is 95% of the time a total shambles as well, often quite amusing to observe...

Well, there can be THAT.....

My son gets called often by headhunters.

I know someone that had a mid 6 figure income that a headhunter came to him with an offer he could not refuse. Had about 17 years with his company. Huge signing bonus. Now he travels 1,000,000 plus miles a year.

Bank of America (I won't call it US Trust) has a nice scheme where they offer new business people in wealth management $1 MILLION dollars to sign. It counts against future commissions and serves to trap the sales guy. I know several who wanted out but couldn't afford to repay the signing bonus after buying the big house, second home, whatever. Do not sell your soul, my only advice. Life is best if you like your work and can enjoy your family.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I go by two variables for the quadrant of staying at your job.

Rewarding and Tolerable.

You have both you get congrats, I have it most of the time

One only and it's doable.

Neither and you better get out before they are performing CPR on you, or you go bankrupt or you jump off the 29th floor ledge.

And it's tricky finding a new cheque-signer, some places will FREAK OUT on you for looking, so be warned and have PLAN B ready before you start...

And good luck and tell us about great changes and horrible ones, both are entertaining...

This is the only thing you need to take away from this thread, except be nicer than Tom would.

Call the prospective employer and nicely tell him to withdraw your name. If he asks why, tell him he knows why and just leave it at that.

That was a crappy thing to do.

I'm much nicer about it in person. This is only a message board, after all.

But...I've been there. If they treat you like crap when they're courting you, imagine how they'll treat you when they think they have you by the short & curlies...

If the company can make more money without you than with you, what do you think their choice will be?

If you can make more money without a company than with, why does that make your choice disloyal but not the company's?

There is no such thing as loyalty in most businesses.

The best job isn't always the one that pays the most, but don't think that a business will be loyal to you at their expense. That's a rarity.

It's not personal, it's business good both ways.

I've never actually heard of someone getting fired for it on it's own. Guess it just depends on the people and environment involved.

That was a crappy thing that happened to the OP though. I'm glad it seemed to work out for him. How about job references? Just something to throw into the mix, I wonder how many bosses would be willing to give their former employees good references if they just leave.

My boss was looking to replace one of my colleagues so he placed an ad for her position but didn't identify the name of the company. She applied for it.

VERY funny!

(Did she get the job?)