no offensive line talk....

Yeah, I imagine some would having the highest paid RT in the league, even if he's already under contract, and even if there is a good chance that pass pro improves from its bottom 5 position.

But those are the people who'd rather see a hole in the line, so they can say something like "You don't overpay/draft high for a right tackle!!"

NO, it hasn't been ignored, its better than Buddy's dumpster scrounging.

It has gone from rebuilding with UDFA under Buddy to just finishing the job. Upgrading that one position would go a lonnggggg way.

....Marv went back to the older than dirt adage of "building from the ball out".......tried like hell with Dock & Langston.......only problem was the "beef was spoiled" but the thought was there.....OL is the critical lynch pin.......Holmgren called Hutch & Jones "legendary" in the "same vein as Shell & Upshaw"......those are legendary left side tandems.........the Cowgirls have a formidable OL but it took three 1sts to get there.....development, rhythm, sync, chemistry do NOT happen overnight...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is won in the trenches...I do believe that addage and think a team should always be looking to improve the OL and DL.

However, we could do a lot worse than the line we had last year. Signing Groy back was huge. When Wood went down last year, I thought

the Bills were in real trouble. But, Groy filled in admirably. So, not only is he very solid depth to the interior 3, he may also be Eric's eventual

replacement. Miller is still growing, but has played solid enough. And if paired with a better RT might improve significantly. I'm not sure what

Ducasse brings, but he has experience and familiarity at least. I think Richie has at least two more seasons in him, so next year is early enough

to start looking for his eventual replacement. So, the interior is solid and does not need draft help.

Cordy is a very good LT, maybe not top tier, but gets the job done. Mills was improving last year and on the O-line, continuity can not be dismissed. But, yes, upgrading Mills would improve the line significantly. If nothing else, though, we know we'll get at least what we got last year out of this group. The bigger question for this line really is Seantrel and Cyrus. Henderson will miss the first 4 due to suspension, but more importantly, what is his health situation. Is it under control and can he compete for the starting role once he's back? Or are we going to move on? What is up with Cyrus's hip? He seemed to be improving last year, but will the hip set him back again? Will he be ready for the season? Can he compete for the RT job?

If the team feels good about Cyrus and Henderson, then the O-line is pretty solid and with good, experienced depth.

So, I think you only go O-line in the draft if at some point a tackle is the highest player on your board by a good margin. Or maybe you pick up a Tackle prospect in the mid- to later-rounds, depending on value . If you do not expect one or both of those guys to be ready to go and compete for the starting job, then taking a tackle is a little more pressing a need and you might spend a day two or three pick on a guy, if he has value there, for at least depth, but with the hopes of unseating Mills eventually.

So, I don't think you go into the draft ignoring O-line, but the key is to not be in a place that you have to pick a certain position of need. And the team seems to be in that place with the O-line. They just need to decide if the swing tackle/better RT is currently on the team or not. If not, you keep your eyes open, but you do not need to reach. RT is a need, but not a necessity this year, unless Seantrel and Cyrus were both out. And even then, you might still be able to find a decent swing tackle for depth in FA or after June cuts. Mills would still be starting then, but we wouldn't be in trouble, we just wouldn't be significantly improved from last season maybe.

Also, not that we've had bad O-line coaches the past handful of years, but Juan Castillo is supposed to be very good. Maybe he can help to raise the play of some of the younger guys (Miller, Mills, Cyrus, Seantrel). Also, Dennison's (i.e. Kubiak's) system runs a zone blocking scheme which is supposed to be O-linemen friendly, so maybe that makes a difference too.

Edited by folz

I was super pleased how Groy showed when he stepped in for Eric. I had worry lines after watching him in preseason. Great case in point for familiarity (sp).

Very good post Folz.
I want them to look for at least a swing guard to develop.

still have little faith in Mills.

Miller will improve greatly with an upgrade vs the pass rush at RT.

Juan Castillo is a Zone blocking guy ?

Taylor does as much to cause pressure on himself than he does to elude it.

He holds the ball an excessively long time (longest in the league by a decent margin), often fails to step into the pocket, and bails laterally and backward into pressure.

I'm fine with upgrades, but to say that the line is a weakness or major need would be misguided IMO.

PS--enjoy the draft!

He also had the worst receiving corps in the NFL, or close to it. Woods got a little better as the season progressed, but early on he was falling down untouched. Remember that? And of course Sammy was hurt quite a bit.

Bandit, these guys weren't getting open a whole lot. This makes me think they will draft a wr at #1 but my money still says they draft a safety or a corner. We are after all the Buffalo Bills.

....Marv went back to the older than dirt adage of "building from the ball out".......tried like hell with Dock & Langston.......only problem was the "beef was spoiled" but the thought was there.....OL is the critical lynch pin.......Holmgren called Hutch & Jones "legendary" in the "same vein as Shell & Upshaw"......those are legendary left side tandems.........the Cowgirls have a formidable OL but it took three 1sts to get there.....development, rhythm, sync, chemistry do NOT happen overnight...

I'd really be happy with mediocre at the position. i really would. It wouldn't drag down the passing game like he does.

But at least right now, we're going on year 3 with one of the worst pass blocking tackles in the league as a starter.

BTW, the Titans did something last year that would give the "Let's use another top pick on a DB" crowd a stroke.

After wiffing on Chance Warmack at no. 10 in 2013;

After wiffing on Levitre as a high priced free agent;

After using the 11th pick on Lewan in 2014;

They used a first round pick on a right tackle;

And not just a first round pick...a top 10 pick (no. 8);

And on top of that...they traded up to get to Number 8.

The result...

Jack Conklin becomes a 1st team all pro.

Demarco Murray's career is resurrected.

sacks dropped from 54 (most in the league) to 28 (4 were on Cassel in the last game)

they went from 30th in yards to 11th

from 25th in rushing to 3rd

from 28th to 14th in scoring 80+ more points)

from 3 wins to 9.

We got a bum shoulder and 2 coverage sacks.

PS...Dockery was a huge disappointment, but I never had a problem with Walker at RT. The guy gave up 2 sacks in each of his 2 years here, and in 2008, they ranked 2nd in the league in running behind him. The problem wasn't signing him, it was moving him to LT after ticking off Peters.

I maintain that the Bills are suffering from a systemic problem of the revolving door. They've drafted countless Corners just to see them walk away after their rookie deal. This has to stop! And winning solves everything.

We'll be drafting CB in our first 2 picks. Book it. You can get excellent play from a rookie CB and have them on their rookie contract for 5 years. Let someone else give them astronomical money and draft a new one. Rinse and repeat. Except for QB, this should be done for all the highest paid positions where you can get decent play from a rookie.

Plus, we play in a pass happy league without a top coverage LB.

Edited by Saint Doug

We'll be drafting CB in our first 2 picks. Book it. You can get excellent play from a rookie CB and have them on their rookie contract for 5 years. Let someone else give them astronomical money and draft a new one. Rinse and repeat. Except for QB, this should be done for all the highest paid positions where you can get decent play from a rookie.

Plus, we play in a pass happy league without a top coverage LB.

Oh, without a doubt we will.

...and creeping closer to that 20th anniversary of our last playoff appearance.