Mets fans?

Another Fan

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

Well ... I'd like to think Jake earned the Cy Young tonight.  Got his 10th win.  Struck out 10.  8IP, no runs.  ERA is 1.70.

It should be unanimous.

15 hours ago, Another Fan said:

You’d hope

But yeah really put the exclamation point home tonight 

I was listening to Jon Heyman on local radio today and he said the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24814782/yankees-cc-sabathia-ejected-two-innings-shy-500000-bonus

CC Sabathia gets ejected two innings shy of earning $500K bonus.

Needed to pitch 7 to get enough yearly innings for the bonus.  Rays pitcher threw behind the head of a Yankees batter; both sides warned; CC said, "!@#$ it," I'm retaliating.  So he hit a guy in the leg with a 92.5 MPH cutter.

We never got Clemens back for hitting Piazza in the head (although, that was more Estes not being ABLE to hit him (ugh).

We never got Utley back for breaking Tejada's leg (which has effectively killed his career).

I'm not a big baseball fight guy, but there is a time when a team needs to retaliate.  I think it sends a great message to the team and to all the other teams.

I think Bobby Valentine is the last manager who allowed retaliation.  I can't remember any since.

Edited by Gugny

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24814782/yankees-cc-sabathia-ejected-two-innings-shy-500000-bonus

CC Sabathia gets ejected two innings shy of earning $500K bonus.

Needed to pitch 7 to get enough yearly innings for the bonus.  Rays pitcher threw behind the head of a Yankees batter; both sides warned; CC said, "!@#$ it," I'm retaliating.  So he hit a guy in the leg with a 92.5 MPH cutter.

We never got Clemens back for hitting Piazza in the head (although, that was more Estes not being ABLE to hit him (ugh).

We never got Utley back for breaking Tejada's leg (which has effectively killed his career).

I'm not a big baseball fight guy, but there is a time when a team needs to retaliate.  I think it sends a great message to the team and to all the other teams.

I think Bobby Valentine is the last manager who allowed retaliation.  I can't remember any since.

I wonder if CC knew it would cost him a half mill or he was just in the moment.

I for one have no problem with throwing at a batter...but the head is off limits. Sounds like CC did it right.

I don't remember who or when (probably the following year) but someone on the Mets plunked Utley. And he calmly dropped his bat and took first. Case closed. 

Oh God, Estes missing behind Clemens was freaking embarassing. But then didn't Estes go deep on Clemens? 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I wonder if CC knew it would cost him a half mill or he was just in the moment.

I for one have no problem with throwing at a batter...but the head is off limits. Sounds like CC did it right.

I don't remember who or when (probably the following year) but someone on the Mets plunked Utley. And he calmly dropped his bat and took first. Case closed. 

Oh God, Estes missing behind Clemens was freaking embarassing. But then didn't Estes go deep on Clemens? 

I don't remember Utley getting plunked.  I hate that dirty bastard.

Yes, I do believe Estes went deep off of Clemens.

I also agree that the head is off limits.

From what it sounds like, CC knew he needed to get through 7 for the bonus.  My guess is that the Yankees pay him - which they should.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't remember Utley getting plunked.  I hate that dirty bastard.

Yes, I do believe Estes went deep off of Clemens.

I also agree that the head is off limits.

From what it sounds like, CC knew he needed to get through 7 for the bonus.  My guess is that the Yankees pay him - which they should.

I've probably posted this before, but when Braden Looper was a Met he retaliated for a Met getting hit. When asked after the game whether he thought either hit batter was intentional he said something like "Sometimes things happen in a game....and then sometimes other things happen.".  It was the perfect response.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

He looks like he's in pain right now.

I was talking to a father of my sons teammate Saturday morning who was at the game Friday night sitting 4 rows up from the on deck circle who said the same.

A different father was headed to the game Saturday night after our sons game today. Both father and son are huge Mets fans, looking forward to hearing about their night. 

Nice send-off for #5. Didn't seem over-blown. Would have been nice for him to get a hit, the pitch he fouled out on was one he would've smoked to right back in the day.