ESPN announces replacements for Berman on NFL shows

Do people really watch these things? IMO they are totally unwatachable. Just trite little skits void of any real football discussion and focusing on controversy, "social justice", or pop culture.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats with all the broads on espn being moved up?

Because we need more shrill voices in sports.

ESPN is the Sears of sports media.

They know it but can't come to grips with it. Their business model and brand are dying.

Telltale sign is this wholesale insertion of the cheaper on-air talent and increase of the cheap talking head airtime. They need "somebody" to say a lot of "something" so why not get it at the cheapest price point possible.

ESPN radio's become one long, unlistenable lecture on race with the shining exception of Mike and Mike, which naturally ESPN is scrapping.

ESPN ruined ESPN. When SportsCenter was in its heyday during the '90s, it became more about the personalities (Kilborn, Olbermann, Patrick) than it did about the actual sports content. This then caused ESPN to shift a majority of their programming to focus on talking heads and their opinions.

Add to that a very poor decision on their part to outbid themselves on a lot of these contracts. Take the NBA contract, for instance. Every subscriber to ESPN and TNT is paying $30 per year just to watch the NBA. The NFL deal is just as ridiculous - $1.9 BILLION per year for mediocre Monday night games with no playoff rights beyond a wild card game. Their stupid decisions are causing their business to fall apart.

I dropped ESPN by moving to DirecTV's select package and couldn't be happier. If the Bills end up playing on Monday night this year, I will likely buy the next higher package for a month, and then proceed to drop it after that.

I turned in ALL of my cable equipment over the holidays.

Got to the desk when they opened. There were 5 people in front of me, with ALL of their cable equipment as well.

As the highest-fee channel on cable, I can't see them surviving if everyone moves to streaming, like myself (and a great OTA antenna on the roof. The picture is BETTER than satellite or cable.)

I said the day FS1 started...ESPN's days were instantly numbered, because we've seen this story before == Fox News destroying CNN/CNBC/MSNBC. When Red Eye was good, at 3am, it beat Rachel Maddow's audience at 9pm. It's a fact that nobody wants to explain because: butthurt.

The response to my FS1 projection was crap. Mostly predicated on the fact that 1) this was around 2011, and ESPN's numbers were at a record high, and, 2) a whole bunch of bias. All FS1 was doing was capitalizing on a market that ESPN created, and they'd be lucky to be a minor player... :lol:

Now? Here we are. I ask you all: was Disney responsible for the 24/7 coverage of Colin Kaepernick? Was Disney responsible for firing Curt Schilling, when, 70-90% of self-described "sports fans" agreed with him? Do you really support a grown man, dressed like a girl, using using your daughter/niece/some random little girl you don't know's restroom at a baseball game? If you do, then I can't help you...and neither can ESPN: their future bankruptcy is directly tied to your current moral bankruptcy.

Why was it so easy for FS1 to poach the "talent" of Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless? Christ: those 2 guys WERE the ESPN model for at least the last 10 years. Why is Cowherd(who is hilarious every time he said/says he isn't a "company man", yet, promoted ESPN's NBA coverage, dissed hockey, then, kissed our asses just before WGR cancelled him, and, is now a hockey fan...because of the number of Fox MSG clones out there) now calling ESPN a terrible place to work?

In the end, ESPN is getting exactly what it deserves. It's no different than any firm that consistently undermines their customer's trust, by consistently replacing what the customer wants, with what their personal/company agenda says the customer needs.

Sure. you can get away with it for a while, sometimes even a decade. However: look where we are now. You can't get away with it forever.

I think you went off the rails after the second sentence, my friend.