Tyrod Taylor's Highlights

cover1

Nobody, huh?

I could make a lot more money than I do in my current career if I moved elsewhere, but I really like where I live and the life I've built.

And it actually wouldn't be difficult for me to find a job somewhere else.

You have no clue what motivates individual people. You can speculate and guess. But you don't know.

As much as I hate to say it (I feel dirty already) but I do agree with Old School that a professional althlete doesnt take a huge pay cut if they dont have to.

but

I will say that this could simply be Tyrod Taylor.....like he always has his entire career......betting on himself.

He was told to switch to WR before the draft and not be a QB.....he didnt

He had offers from us and Denver when he became a free agent.......he came to us

Tyrod is a different kinda dude

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Tampering before a certain date. So where do these stories come from before FA begins?

Well, I think the word "stories" says it all. They're stories, not reports.

The offseason, especially the time between the Super Bowl and the beginning of Free Agency, is likely the favorite time of year for sports journalists because they get to do a lot of speculating.

Remember how concrete it was that the Bills wanted to move on from Taylor and another QB would be under center in 2018? It was inevitable... and what happened?

Actions speak louder than words.

And the next action will be the draft. It's going to be interesting because if Buffalo doesn't draft a QB in the first 2 rounds, it's another action that tells us something about OBD's perspective on Taylor at QB.

And for the record, I want a QB drafted in the first couple rounds. I like the idea of Mahomes in the 2nd if we can swing that.

As much as I hate to say it (I feel dirty already) but I do agree with Old School that a professional althlete doesnt take a huge pay cut if they dont have to.

but

I will say that this could simply be Tyrod Taylor.....like he always has his entire career......betting on himself.

He was told to switch to WR before the draft and not be a QB.....he didnt

He had offers from us and Denver when he became a free agent.......he came to us

Tyrod is a different kinda dude

My suspicion, as well.

Someone told me to come look at this thread, so I did. Of course, it's impossible to read the whole thing or, frankly, to even follow the last couple of pages. Anyway, I'll tell you what I think about Tyrod. A lot of you know me and maybe you've heard it before.

1. I like Taylor. Great athlete, good arm, dedication, running is a plus. I've heard all the arguments about anticipation, throwing people open, seeing the field, throwing over the middle, too short. All possible, but I'm not convinced of any of that, not yet. Could be true, but I think he's still growing, and I want to see another year out of him.

2. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the Bills were going to cut Taylor. There were plenty of rumors, and so far as I could tell, they all were started by the press, that the Bills were going to cut him and that Whaley didn't want him. Everyone got all excited about that. No one got excited when, in the last few weeks, all the press rumors were that the Bills would keep him.

Why do I doubt they'd cut him? Because he played starter-quality football for two seasons, because starters are hard to find and because the Bills couldn't expect to find a starter in the draft or free agency. The Bills were NOT going to start over at quarterback. They might keep looking for one better than Taylor; I think they should. But they are not going to leave themselves in the same position they did with Manuel - a rookie start or a journeyman failure as the only options. Taylor is a legitimate threat at QB, and until the Bills get someone better, they are not going to let him go.

3. So what was going on with Taylor's contract? My theory is this: Taylor is ambitious, wants to start, has a lot of confidence in himself and expects to get paid eventually. He took a cheap contract to be a starter in Buffalo when he left the Ravens. Why did he take so little? Because he had the option to get out after two seasons, and he knew if he started somewhere he'd get paid a lot more. That's exactly what happened. He played well his first season in Buffalo, and the Bills didn't want to lose him after the second season and they didn't want to have to match some other team's offer. Still, they wanted the right to cut him if he flopped his second season. Taylor didn't want to get tied up long-term unless he got some real money. So they negotiated the six-year deal, Taylor gets decent money if he stays and the Bills get the option to get out of the deal if they didn't like his 2016.

So then Taylor has a decent but uninspiring 2016 and the Bills aren't sure they want him on the terms of the contract. Plus, they want some cap relief. So they talk to Taylor, not to cut him but to get the right to cut him in another year without a huge cap hit. Taylor says you can't have it both ways. If you want the right to get out, then I want to have the right to get out too. So they agree to a two-year deal. For two years Taylor gets paid more or less what he would have made in two years under the deal. What did Taylor give up? The third year guaranteed. Why did he do that? Because he's confident in his ability, and it's much more likely than not that he can get $10 million a year somewhere in 2019, in which case he's no worse off than he was under his original Buffalo deal. In other words, because the Bills wanted to keep Taylor for 2017 and maybe 18 before committing to him long-term, Taylor got the right, again, to be a free agent in the prime of his career. Good deal for both sides.

4. Why was there no more interest in Taylor? As someone pointed out, he wasn't a free agent and it's tampering to talk contracts with someone who isn't a free agent. It happens, I know, when a guy's contract is expiring, but Taylor's contract wasn't expiring. If anyone had talked contract with Taylor, that would have affected the Bills' ability to renegotiate - they would have screamed tampering. Teams lose draft picks for tampering.

Don't think for a minute teams weren't interested. Six teams, at least, would be markedly improve their QB situation with Taylor. You think the Jets woudn't have grabbed him? And don't argue that no one was interested because Taylor is a marginal QB. Taylor's stats for 2016 were mediocre; in 2015 they were great. He played all of 2016 injured. He didn't have his #1 receiver, and he didn't have much of anything else in the receiving department. He played for a dysfunctional head coach.

Taylor would have gotten $15 million a year for a few years if he'd hit the market, probably more. Now he's going to start for the Bills for 2017. If he has a season like he did in 2015, guess what? The Bills will be back at the negotiating table AGAIN, because they won't want him to be come a free agent in 2018. If he has a mediocre 2017, they'll roll the dice and let him play out his contract. If he's great in 2018, it'll cost the Bills a lot to keep him. If he's mediocre, they'll let him walk and he'll get $20-30 million guaranteed someplace else.

5. OF COURSE, McDermott wanted to keep him, and if you want to say it was driven by fear, fine. You can call it fear, but it's better described as brains. You're taking over a team that led the league in rushing for two consecutive years in no small part because you have the best running QB in the league. He also happens to have a passer rating around the top 10 in the league over the past two seasons. You're going to let him go so WHO can be your QB? WHO? It would be a colossally dumb move in your first year as an NFL head coach to dump your team's starting QB in favor of no one just so you can put your mark on the team. Who would do that?

Someone told me to come look at this thread, so I did. Of course, it's impossible to read the whole thing or, frankly, to even follow the last couple of pages. Anyway, I'll tell you what I think about Tyrod. A lot of you know me and maybe you've heard it before.

1. I like Taylor. Great athlete, good arm, dedication, running is a plus. I've heard all the arguments about anticipation, throwing people open, seeing the field, throwing over the middle, too short. All possible, but I'm not convinced of any of that, not yet. Could be true, but I think he's still growing, and I want to see another year out of him.

2. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the Bills were going to cut Taylor. There were plenty of rumors, and so far as I could tell, they all were started by the press, that the Bills were going to cut him and that Whaley didn't want him. Everyone got all excited about that. No one got excited when, in the last few weeks, all the press rumors were that the Bills would keep him.

Why do I doubt they'd cut him? Because he played starter-quality football for two seasons, because starters are hard to find and because the Bills couldn't expect to find a starter in the draft or free agency. The Bills were NOT going to start over at quarterback. They might keep looking for one better than Taylor; I think they should. But they are not going to leave themselves in the same position they did with Manuel - a rookie start or a journeyman failure as the only options. Taylor is a legitimate threat at QB, and until the Bills get someone better, they are not going to let him go.

3. So what was going on with Taylor's contract? My theory is this: Taylor is ambitious, wants to start, has a lot of confidence in himself and expects to get paid eventually. He took a cheap contract to be a starter in Buffalo when he left the Ravens. Why did he take so little? Because he had the option to get out after two seasons, and he knew if he started somewhere he'd get paid a lot more. That's exactly what happened. He played well his first season in Buffalo, and the Bills didn't want to lose him after the second season and they didn't want to have to match some other team's offer. Still, they wanted the right to cut him if he flopped his second season. Taylor didn't want to get tied up long-term unless he got some real money. So they negotiated the six-year deal, Taylor gets decent money if he stays and the Bills get the option to get out of the deal if they didn't like his 2016.

So then Taylor has a decent but uninspiring 2016 and the Bills aren't sure they want him on the terms of the contract. Plus, they want some cap relief. So they talk to Taylor, not to cut him but to get the right to cut him in another year without a huge cap hit. Taylor says you can't have it both ways. If you want the right to get out, then I want to have the right to get out too. So they agree to a two-year deal. For two years Taylor gets paid more or less what he would have made in two years under the deal. What did Taylor give up? The third year guaranteed. Why did he do that? Because he's confident in his ability, and it's much more likely than not that he can get $10 million a year somewhere in 2019, in which case he's no worse off than he was under his original Buffalo deal. In other words, because the Bills wanted to keep Taylor for 2017 and maybe 18 before committing to him long-term, Taylor got the right, again, to be a free agent in the prime of his career. Good deal for both sides.

4. Why was there no more interest in Taylor? As someone pointed out, he wasn't a free agent and it's tampering to talk contracts with someone who isn't a free agent. It happens, I know, when a guy's contract is expiring, but Taylor's contract wasn't expiring. If anyone had talked contract with Taylor, that would have affected the Bills' ability to renegotiate - they would have screamed tampering. Teams lose draft picks for tampering.

Don't think for a minute teams weren't interested. Six teams, at least, would be markedly improve their QB situation with Taylor. You think the Jets woudn't have grabbed him? And don't argue that no one was interested because Taylor is a marginal QB. Taylor's stats for 2016 were mediocre; in 2015 they were great. He played all of 2016 injured. He didn't have his #1 receiver, and he didn't have much of anything else in the receiving department. He played for a dysfunctional head coach.

Taylor would have gotten $15 million a year for a few years if he'd hit the market, probably more. Now he's going to start for the Bills for 2017. If he has a season like he did in 2015, guess what? The Bills will be back at the negotiating table AGAIN, because they won't want him to be come a free agent in 2018. If he has a mediocre 2017, they'll roll the dice and let him play out his contract. If he's great in 2018, it'll cost the Bills a lot to keep him. If he's mediocre, they'll let him walk and he'll get $20-30 million guaranteed someplace else.

5. OF COURSE, McDermott wanted to keep him, and if you want to say it was driven by fear, fine. You can call it fear, but it's better described as brains. You're taking over a team that led the league in rushing for two consecutive years in no small part because you have the best running QB in the league. He also happens to have a passer rating around the top 10 in the league over the past two seasons. You're going to let him go so WHO can be your QB? WHO? It would be a colossally dumb move in your first year as an NFL head coach to dump your team's starting QB in favor of no one just so you can put your mark on the team. Who would do that?

Shaw... first of all, WELCOME!!!

I see you're kinda straddling the same 2 boards I am... this one resembles BBMB more, obviously, in terms of participants and traffic.

And all the thoughts you just put here echo what a lot of us "on one side" generally feel. But you articulate it very well. Good stuff :thumbsup:

excellent post Shaw66

Nobody, huh?

I could make a lot more money than I do in my current career if I moved elsewhere, but I really like where I live and the life I've built.

And it actually wouldn't be difficult for me to find a job somewhere else.

You have no clue what motivates individual people. You can speculate and guess. But you don't know.

There, I wanted to help you out a little here.

This message board needs to take a course: "Facts Vs. Opinions"

Well, I think the word "stories" says it all. They're stories, not reports.

Since you want to pursue this avenue.

Your facts are tainted by selective plays and not the whole picture.

So then please show me actual reports that teams wanted to sign Tyrod.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Have you heard of the legal tampering period? TT had a whole day to talk to other teams. If the Browns were gonna give him $10M more than the Bills and the starting job, why would he stay?

Edited by FireChan

FACT - The writing was on the wall. Taylor was never going to see that $30 Mil contract. It wasn't going to happen.

I agree, Tampering before a certain date. So where do these stories come from before FA begins?

IF Taylor was THAT important to any of these teams, then don't you think we would have heard something about a Team talking to Buffalo?

No i dont. For the reasons stated. Look no further than this for what can happen regarding tampering:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-hammers-chiefs-for-tampering-with-huge-fine-loss-of-two-draft-picks/amp/

Chiefs lost a 3rd round a six rd and 350k for tampering regarding Maclin.

Since you want to pursue this avenue.

Your facts are tainted by selective plays and not the whole picture.

So then please show me actual reports that teams wanted to sign Tyrod.

Selective plays and not the whole picture... ?

I'm sorry, what are the "your facts" that you're talking about?

And direct me to any reports before FA or before Taylor renegotiated that lend credence to your argument, please.

Selective plays and not the whole picture... ?

I'm sorry, what are the "your facts" that you're talking about?

And direct me to any reports before FA or before Taylor renegotiated that lend credence to your argument, please.

It was reported the Bills were going to cut TT if he didn't restructure. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697955-tyrod-taylor-takes-10-million-pay-cut-in-contract-to-remain-with-buffalo-bills

Have you heard of the legal tampering period? TT had a whole day to talk to other teams. If the Browns were gonna give him $10M more than the Bills and the starting job, why would he stay?

Because it's the Browns, and the Browns have one of the least talented rosters in the NFL... which potentially means it's possible there would be a health aspect to that choice along with a competitive aspect...

He wasnt set to be a free agent how hard is that for you to understand?

Two-day period where teams are allowed to begin negotiations with soon-to-be unrestricted free agents.

His previous contract was 2016-2021.

I fhought that was only for players who are about to be free agents?

Ummm... that's not a report... that's more speculation... and from a guy who's covering his own tracks from an ESPN headline late last season entitled "Don't bet on Bills renegotiating Tyrod Taylor's deal to keep him"

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/225467/dont-bet-on-bills-renegotiating-tyrod-taylors-deal-to-keep-him

Try again... I legitimately would like to see a credible report... I won't even point out the fact that Rodak is a douche...

whoops :w00t:

Because it's the Browns, and the Browns have one of the least talented rosters in the NFL... which potentially means it's possible there would be a health aspect to that choice along with a competitive aspect...

Health aspect? They have a pretty good line.

He wasnt set to be a free agent how hard is that for you to understand?

Two-day period where teams are allowed to begin negotiations with soon-to-be unrestricted free agents.

His previous contract was 2016-2021.

I have it seen reported exactly zero places that teams were unable to contact players under option. If the view of the league was that the Bills would "pick up" the option, then Taylor would technically be an UFA.

Furthermore, it's pretty well known there's a underbelly of semi-tampering always.

Ummm... that's not a report... that's more speculation... and from a guy who's covering his own tracks from an ESPN headline late last season entitled "Don't bet on Bills renegotiating Tyrod Taylor's deal to keep him"

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/225467/dont-bet-on-bills-renegotiating-tyrod-taylors-deal-to-keep-him

Try again... I legitimately would like to see a credible report... I won't even point out the fact that Rodak is a douche...

whoops :w00t:

"Show me a report" "No I mean one I agree with!"

Edited by FireChan