Five former draft picks cut

jahnyc

As of now, it appears that the Bills have cut five fomer draft choices, all mid or late picks: Sullivan, Sobieski, Sape, Stevenson and Smith. I was suprised about Stevenson; I thought he played well on special teams.

I think these cuts are good evidence that we are failing to find diamonds in the rough in the later rounds. How many late round picks from the TD era are starting for the Bills? How many are quality back-ups?

So far Terrence McGee is the only significant day 2 pick of TD's regime. Maybe Kevin Thomas too. Oh, and Pukecillo if you think he's actually significant.

As of now, it appears that the Bills have cut five fomer draft choices, all mid or late picks: Sullivan, Sobieski, Sape, Stevenson and Smith.  I was suprised about Stevenson; I thought he played well on special teams.

I think these cuts are good evidence that we are failing to find diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.  How many late round picks from the TD era are starting for the Bills?  How many are quality back-ups?

19224[/snapback]

This is exactly why TD is an awesome GM.....the draft is not an exact science - especially in later rounds......but TD uses the draft, trades, free agents, and undrafted players to fill the roster.....and overall, he's done a hell of a job. Like I've said before, what team would you want to trade rosters with? There aren't many, top to bottom.

As of now, it appears that the Bills have cut five fomer draft choices, all mid or late picks: Sullivan, Sobieski, Sape, Stevenson and Smith.  I was suprised about Stevenson; I thought he played well on special teams.

I think these cuts are good evidence that we are failing to find diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.  How many late round picks from the TD era are starting for the Bills?  How many are quality back-ups?

19224[/snapback]

This proves my theory that Donahoe has soured on guys whose last names begin with S. He had been enamored with them until recently.

Spikes is next.

19224[/snapback]

see Rashad baker, shaud wiliams, ritzman

So far Terrence McGee is the only significant day 2 pick of TD's regime. Maybe Kevin Thomas too. Oh, and Pukecillo if you think he's actually significant.

19230[/snapback]

I think Bannan has done ok for himself. He has certainly held his own in the DT rotation and has worked hard. He may not fight off Tim Anderson for long, but so far he has.

see Rashad baker, shaud wiliams, ritzman

19239[/snapback]

They are UDFA's. not late round draft choices. However, I agreee, that his effectiveness in finding these guys should be considered.

One might add Dorenbos, Neufeld, Tucker, Greer and Stamer to that list as well. Moorman was a UDFA for Seattle I believe, so in a sense he recovered him from the heap also.

19224[/snapback]

LMAO! :w00t:

The question you should be asking is how many late round picks play for an extended period of time for ALL NFL teams! *gasp*

Buy a vowel and get a grip, troll!

Some people are too stupid for their own good.

Fine, I also will complain about our high round draft picks such as McGahee, Denney, Reed, Kelsay, and Williams. I understand that we need to give these guys more time to develop, but I am still concerned.

I am not sure the fact that four free agents make the roster is such a positive.

I do like many of the free agent acquisitions by TD, such as Spikes, Milloy and Flethcher. I also loved getting a number one pick for Price, who was going to leave anyway. I also like the trades for Drew and Campbell.

TD's record is very mixed. I won't say he has done a "hell" of a job until more of our draft picks produce and we make the playoffs.

They are UDFA's. not late round draft choices.  However, I agreee, that his effectiveness in finding these guys should be considered.

One might add Dorenbos, Neufeld, Tucker, Greer and Stamer to that list as well.  Moorman was a UDFA for Seattle I believe, so in a sense he recovered him from the heap also.

19244[/snapback]

Moorman was a "street" FA along with Neufeld, Tucker, and Lawrence Smith. Dorenbos, Stamer, Greer, Baker, Ritzmann, and Williams were all UDFA rookies.

Cutting guys you drafted, not matter what the round is to some extent a failure to identify a "diamond in the rough". Any round 3 or higher pick cut within the first 4 yrs is a pure failure. Every GM should be able to find quality starters and backups in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

19224[/snapback]

So basically if we keep the guys on the roster that TD drafted "his ego won't let him admit he made a mistake" and if we cut them it's "evidence he can't draft well in the later rounds"

Do I have this straight?

So basically if we keep the guys on the roster that TD drafted "his ego won't let him admit he made a mistake" and if we cut them it's "evidence he can't draft well in the later rounds"

Do I have this straight?

19327[/snapback]

Yeah, pretty much. It has nothing to do with a coaching staff that is not afraid to bench anyone or keep UDFA's over draftees. We all know that TD is the one who cuts and keeps players. :w00t:

Cutting guys you drafted, not matter what the round is to some extent a failure to identify a "diamond in the rough".  Any round 3 or higher pick cut within the first 4 yrs is a pure failure.  Every GM should be able to find quality starters and backups in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

19259[/snapback]

So where are all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks that havent made the team? A GM's job is to stock a roster full of talented players, that can work together, and fit under the salary cap. There isn't a better or worse way to get them, whether they are draft picks, Free agents, trades, or undrafted free agents. TD has assembled a talented team of proven veterans and young stars and guys with potential. Top to bottom, there aren't a lot of better rosters in the league right now.

Nobody cares about TD's ability to choose good second round picks, and by "nobody" I mean Ralph Wilson.

This may be speaking slightly above my head, but the new NFL puts you in a position to rethink how you spend your money. At this juncture, everything you do is to fill holes to turn around a winning season as quickly as you can...and sustain it for as long as you can.

Look at the Dolphins. They've had a number of consecutive winning seasons. They don't make the playoffs, but they have good seasons and put asses in seats to pay the bills and make a profit. On some, it inspires mediocrity.

Look at Snyder in Washington. That pecker is making cash hand over fist right now just by bringing in Gibbs and going back to the old glory days...and who has the money to buy season tickets? Exactly. The guys who watched "the glory days" while sitting in their dorm room staring at a 13" black and white Ford Philco TV. Smart man, that Snyder. They're all grown up now and have money.

Look at the Raiders. The Raiders LAST YEAR sold more licensed goods than the Patriots. A team that didn't get close to the playoffs sells more crap than the one who won a Super Bowl. Why? Because Raider fans are convinced they'll always win.

This is what it comes down to, anymore, and that is what TD is here to do. If he does it consistently, no one beyond us chuckleheads will ponder his ability to pick players in the second and third round.

Ya think Ralph Wilson has been building a nice nest egg since Donahoe has been here? Ya think Ralph Wilson cares about TD's second round pick history?

Other than that, I can see where you'd be concerned.

I think these cuts are good evidence that we are failing to find diamonds in the rough in the later rounds. 

19224[/snapback]

In the salary cap era, late round "projects" that a team might carry for 2-3 years in hopes that they'll develop are like high button shoes...you just don't see em' anymore.

Drafting today is about getting players that can deliver value almost from day one. That's why TD and Modrack have a much greater emphasis on picking players from major programs than the Kutztown States of the world like back in the Butler era. Players at the big schools are very well known, so there's less chance they'll actually be lumps of coal waiting to be polished like some of the Bills' "finds" from the 90's.

Just to show there are no absolutes in drafting, though, I'm as surprised as anyone that Ritzmann made the active roster. He made some nice plays in the second half of the Lions game but I thought he was destined for the practice squad.