T.J. Watt

jrober38

There's no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a stud.

You can tell when you watch him play that he loves football, that he's got a non stop motor, and to top it all off he's a freak athlete. In 3-4 years when he's in the prime of his career, and he's filled out his body, he's going to be wrecking the NFL.

I wanted JJ Watt over Marcel Dareus 6 years ago. People called me crazy. JJ's performance against Ohio State and his test scores at the combine (one of the most freakish performances ever) did it for me. High floor, with an unlimited ceiling.

I don't want to miss again. This guy is going to be an elite NFL pass rusher for the next decade. He's a guy you build your defense around (think Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews).

Where would you take him in this draft?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell when you watch him play that he loves football, that he's got a non stop motor, and to top it all off he's a freak athlete. In 3-4 years when he's in the prime of his career, and he's filled out his body, he's going to be wrecking the NFL.

I wanted JJ Watt over Marcel Dareus 6 years ago. People called me crazy. JJ's performance against Ohio State and his test scores at the combine (one of the most freakish performances ever) did it for me. High floor, with an unlimited ceiling.

I don't want to miss again. This guy is going to be an elite NFL pass rusher for the next decade. He's a guy you build your defense around (think Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews).

When I think TJ Watt, I don't think I'll ever think Von Miller. He may be a good/great player, but I don't think he'll ever measure up to Von Miller

When I think TJ Watt, I don't think I'll ever think Von Miller. He may be a good/great player, but I don't think he'll ever measure up to Von Miller

Why not?

Athletically they're essentially the same guy.

Von Miller

Forty time - 4.53 seconds

Bench press - 21 reps

Vertical - 37 inches

3-Cone - 6.7 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.06 seconds

Demarcus Ware

Forty time - 4.65 seconds

Bench press - 26 reps

Vertical - 38 inches

3-Cone - 6.83 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.09 seconds

Clay Matthews

Forty time - 4.67 seconds

Bench press - 23 reps

Vertical - 35.5 inches

3-Cone - 6.9 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.18 seconds

TJ Watt

Forty time - 4.69 seconds

Bench press - 21 reps

Vertical 37 inches

3-cone - 6.79 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.16 seconds

Where would he play in Buffalo? In our 4-3 scheme we generate pass rush with our front 4.

Defensive End.

I also wanted Watt, wanted to trade down for him. One of my favorite players along with Kuechly.

Why not?

Athletically they're essentially the same guy.

Von Miller

Forty time - 4.53 seconds

Bench press - 21 reps

Vertical - 37 inches

3-Cone - 6.7 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.06 seconds

Demarcus Ware

Forty time - 4.65 seconds

Bench press - 26 reps

Vertical - 38 inches

3-Cone - 6.83 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.09 seconds

Clay Matthews

Forty time - 4.67 seconds

Bench press - 23 reps

Vertical - 35.5 inches

3-Cone - 6.9 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.18 seconds

TJ Watt

Forty time - 4.69 seconds

Bench press - 21 reps

Vertical 37 inches

3-cone - 6.79 seconds

Short shuttle - 4.16 seconds

Defensive End.

From his scouting report, his pressure comes from relentless effort and hand techniques. Von Miller is a quick twitch explosive guy....the opposite according to Watts scouting report. A few times at the combine that are similar doesn't mean they are the same athlete.

From his scouting report, his pressure comes from relentless effort and hand techniques. Von Miller is a quick twitch explosive guy....the opposite according to Watts scouting report. A few times at the combine that are similar doesn't mean they are the same athlete.

Their combine numbers say they're both quick twitch, explosive guys.

The guys who post these type of numbers pretty much always go on to become elite NFL pass rushers.

"Low risk" guys are low risk because they work out all the time.

Edited by jrober38

Their combine numbers say they're both quick twitch, explosive guys.

The guys who post these type of numbers pretty much always go on to become elite NFL pass rushers.

"Low risk" guys are low risk because they work out all the time.

So the scouting report is wrong?

If he's low risk and fast twitch...why isn't he going top 5?

Edited by Teeflebees

So the scouting report is wrong?

If he's low risk and fast twitch...why isn't he going top 5?

Why wasn't JJ Watt the #1 overall pick?

He was also described as an effort guy who lacked athleticism and agility.

WEAKNESSES

Won't consistently get the edge on tackles with his get off or quickness. Plays high at times, can be blown off the ball by the double team, but does fight hard to hold ground. Lacks some lateral mobility both rushing the passer and playing in space. Will occasionally give up outside contain.

The weaknesses section of his report was dead wrong.

Scouting reports are often wrong. That's why 1st round picks bust and late round picks can be successful.

Test scores don't lie (and I'm not saying they're the be all, end all for every position). You don't put up elite numbers across the board if you're not an elite athlete.

Edited by jrober38

I want this guy.

6'4, 252 with room to get bigger and stronger. His test scores were ridiculous at the combine (just like his brother). At that size, a 6.79 three cone and 4.13 short shuttle are insane.

On the old Message Board there was a formula that predicted pass rusher success in the NFL, he winds up the in category of "low risk". He checks the sub 7 second three cone, he checks the twitch rating, and he's on the cusp of cracking the explosive power rating. To put things in perspective, his scores are pretty close to being on par with guys like Demarcus Ware and Von Miller.

Watt's movement skills are truly in elite company relative to other edge rushers. This guy is going to be a 10+ sack a year player in the NFL.

I know Defensive End isn't technically a "need", but if this guy is a perennial Pro Bowler for the next decade (which his test scores suggest is likely), then we should be considering him. I don't care where he's currently being projected, this guy looks like he's going to be a special player who you can build a defensive line around.

This may be a rare case where big bro teaches him skills with success, combined with genetics...

While TJ Watt and Von Miller had comparable numbers in their final college seasons:

- TJ Watt = 63 Tackles, 15.5 TFL and 11.5 Sacks

- Miller = 68 Tackles, 17.5 TFL and 10.5 Sacks

An important distinction is that Von Miller was at least a 2-year (maybe 3) starter and star player at A&M in his Jr. season with production that blew Watt's numbers away (21.5 TFL and 17 Sacks)

More proof of production would have been nice...

That said, I would totally support a TJ Watt selection. Maybe not at 10, but if we traded back I think he should be considered a first round talent.

Edited by wiskibreth

Why wasn't JJ Watt the #1 overall pick?

He was also described as an effort guy who lacked athleticism and agility.

WEAKNESSES

Won't consistently get the edge on tackles with his get off or quickness. Plays high at times, can be blown off the ball by the double team, but does fight hard to hold ground. Lacks some lateral mobility both rushing the passer and playing in space. Will occasionally give up outside contain.

The weaknesses section of his report was dead wrong.

Scouting reports are often wrong. That's why 1st round picks bust and late round picks can be successful.

Test scores don't lie. You don't put up elite numbers across the board if you're not an elite athlete.

The reason that I used NFL.com scouting report is because back in the BBMB days, you used it a lot. When you don't like a player, you'll focus on a negatives. When you love a player, the negatives and scouting report are wrong.

More than one scouting report states he's not a great athlete.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-TJ-Watt.asp

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2017-packers/2017/2/23/14678762/nfl-draft-scouting-report-t-j-watt-wisconsin-isnt-a-first-round-player-and-thats-ok

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/2/24/14713752/is-t-j-watt-a-good-fit-for-the-ravens-nfl-draft-2017

[

He has the raw talent and size to be a dominant pass-rusher in the NFL. The knock on Watt is his speed and athleticism. He is very slow getting out of his stance.

Hes already got a varied skillset that dominates tight ends, but fails to translate versus tackles nearly as often.

So okay, maybe hed play the strong side. I dont believe Watt is a premier athlete at the NFL level, certainly not a knock on him, but hes not the twitchiest of athletes. So maybe an NFL team puts him at strong side outside linebacker

He might be a great player and you could be absolutely right. You just tend to not take into account anyone else's opinions, whether it's a poster or scout.

I want this guy.

6'4, 252 with room to get bigger and stronger. His test scores were ridiculous at the combine (just like his brother). At that size, a 6.79 three cone and 4.13 short shuttle are insane.

On the old Message Board there was a formula that predicted pass rusher success in the NFL, he winds up the in category of "low risk". He checks the sub 7 second three cone, he checks the twitch rating, and he's on the cusp of cracking the explosive power rating. To put things in perspective, his scores are pretty close to being on par with guys like Demarcus Ware and Von Miller.

Watt's movement skills are truly in elite company relative to other edge rushers. This guy is going to be a 10+ sack a year player in the NFL.

I know Defensive End isn't technically a "need", but if this guy is a perennial Pro Bowler for the next decade (which his test scores suggest is likely), then we should be considering him. I don't care where he's currently being projected, this guy looks like he's going to be a special player who you can build a defensive line around.

Two questions: 1. Would he be a good fit for an attacking 4-3 that McDermott wants to run, considering he played as a 3-4 OLB at Wisconsin? 2. Does he hate Doug Whaley as much as you do?

The reason that I used NFL.com scouting report is because back in the BBMB days, you used it a lot. When you don't like a player, you'll focus on a negatives. When you love a player, the negatives and scouting report are wrong.

More than one scouting report states he's not a great athlete.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-TJ-Watt.asp

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2017-packers/2017/2/23/14678762/nfl-draft-scouting-report-t-j-watt-wisconsin-isnt-a-first-round-player-and-thats-ok

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/2/24/14713752/is-t-j-watt-a-good-fit-for-the-ravens-nfl-draft-2017

[

He might be a great player and you could be absolutely right. You just tend to not take into account anyone else's opinions, whether it's a poster or scout.

The data from the combine says he's a great athlete.

Guys with his test scores routinely go to the NFL and become perennial All Pros.

That's a fact. That's all I care about.

Two questions: 1. Would he be a good fit for an attacking 4-3 that McDermott wants to run, considering he played as a 3-4 OLB at Wisconsin? 2. Does he hate Doug Whaley as much as you do?

Guys with his athleticism fit in any defense.

He might not be an every down base defensive end (I think otherwise), so you play him at SLB in your 4-3 sets and DE when you go Nickel.

Von Miller has been used the same way in Denver. Over the years, they've flipped back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, and he's always been incredibly productive.

Watt's test scores say he's the same player, and given the track record of success for guys with this level of athleticism, I want this guy on our team.

Edited by jrober38