Thoughts on the Bills draft strategy

billspro

I expect the Bills to draft secondary early and often in this draft. This year is a rare opportunity to develop a dominant secondary with such a deep pool.

Hyde locks up one starting safety position, Poyer's contract seems to indicate a guy that is a backup for both safety positions and is a key special teams contributor. It appears we have a starting safety position open, I expect that to be filled in the first two rounds.

I think the Bills view Darby as a solid starter, but I think they would prefer to have Seymor as a nickel. Roberson showed some potential and should lock up the fifth spot. We need a starter, a 4th string, and a 6th string at this position (we should have at least six with NE going 4 WR every play). The Bills will address this in round 1 or 2.

WR is another position we need to add to early. Luckily this is a deep draft and we can find solid production from guys in the middle rounds. I think we can find a solid starter (for a run first team) in round 3. We have a great number 1, Listenbee could be a number 4, and Brown should be a number 5. We need a number 2 and a number 3 still. It would be nice to add a guy like Quick so we only have to add one guy in the draft.

We really need to add another developmental QB, we don't have the picks to do it right now. I think the Bills will look to trade down and add additional picks. I don't think there will be many suitors though as there is not a lot of separation in picks 15-90. We may add a guy like Evans in the 5th round.

1st round- I think the Bills are hoping that Hooker, Lattimore, or Adams fall to them. There is a decent chance of that happening. If not they will really try to trade down, but will most likely settle for Peppers or one of the top WRs.

2nd round- I expect the Bills to target a DB in the second round. Wilson, Tabor, Jackson, Moreau, and Awuzie are typically 1st round corners. One of these guys will fall to us.

3rd round- There are some great WR prospect flying under the radar right now. Cooper Kupp will drop because of his 40 time, probably only to late round 2. Samuel and Zay Jones will go in round 2. The guys I would hope for is Chad Hansen, he has everything you want in a 2nd WR. Godwin, Reynolds, and Cannon have some good number two qualities as well.

Round 5 and 6 we need to add a QB, DB, and TE. If we do all those thing we will be looking pretty good going into the year.

Round 1- Jamal Adams S

Round 2- Fabian Moreau DB

Round 3- Chad Hansen WR

Round 5- George Kittle TE

Round 5- Jerod Evans QB

Round 6- Erza Robinson DB

They need WR help just as much as secondary help.

If they aren't drafting a QB early(I'll be disappointed) then it has to be between secondary and WR.

I thought they would target a QB as well. I think they would have had to add a starter at DB and WR in free agency, if that was their plan.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Assuming Adams and Hooker are gone and Foster is there at 8, I would give Carolina something to move ahead of Cincy and take him. Carolina will be able to get their running back at 10. We need to have a home run draft and we need to get one of the elite players. Foster will likely be one of the best linebackers in the league in a few years. He could be a difference maker instantly.

Assuming Adams and Hooker are gone and Foster is there at 8, I would give Carolina something to move ahead of Cincy and take him. Carolina will be able to get their running back at 10. We need to have a home run draft and we need to get one of the elite players. Foster will likely be one of the best linebackers in the league in a few years. He could be a difference maker instantly.

I would be pretty mad if we traded up for another LB. We have so many holes to fill.

You don't get a home run draft off one pick. You have to nail MULTIPLE picks and trading up with the amount of needs we have is the dumbest idea i can think of. Drafts are won in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds IMO. We need every draft pick we have to build this team.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

You don't get a home run draft off one pick. You have to nail MULTIPLE picks and trading up with the amount of needs we have is the dumbest idea i can think of. Drafts are won in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds IMO. We need every draft pick we have to build this team.

I know, I am a big fan of trading down, but there is a drop-off and I would love to get one of Adams, Hooker, Foster or Lattimore. Hopefully one of those guys will just fall to us.

I would be pretty mad if we traded up for another LB. We have so many holes to fill.

Agreed...I would be pretty mad if we traded up for anyone...we need to stop giving away draft picks for a change....

Edited by JaCrispy

I know, I am a big fan of trading down, but there is a drop-off and I would love to get one of Adams, Hooker, Foster or Lattimore. Hopefully one of those guys will just fall to us.

Big drop off in what?

There's PLENTY of talent that will be there for us at 10. No need to do something stupid and trade up. If we were a MLB away from being a SB caliber team, go for it but we're nowhere near that level. No need to sacrifice a pick next year for Reuben Foster. Give me a break.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

This draft is starting to remind me of 2012, the year we drafted Gilmore. Buffalo had needs all over the field, and the mock drafts were as scattered as they come. Various mocks had us taking WR Justin Blackmon, S Mark Barron, WR Michael Floyd, DE Quinton Coples, and others.

When we picked CB Stephon Gilmore, I said "Huh? Really?" Hard to get excited about a CB...after all, there's like 11 of those on every team, but whatever. But when I read about him, I thought "Okay, sounds like a shutdown guy. I guess I can get onboard."

Now it's 2017. Most of us are thinking WR or S. Some folks think we snag LB Foster based on his blue chip stock. But CB? Until we let Gilmore walk, did anyone really think CB was priority #1? More to the point, did anyone WANT cornerback to be priority #1? I mean...wasn't a toss-up between WR and S...when there are exceptional candidates at both spots...enough positions to choose from?

Which is why I think many of us will be surprised (and disappointed) when we go CB in round 1. We may follow that up with WR, OT, and S in the rounds that follow, but the consensus will be that we missed a golden opportunity to snag a stud at one of those positions of need in round 1.

I'm prepared to hate this draft. But I'd rather hate the draft and love the results than love the draft and hate the results.

Hopefully it involves drafting 3-4 really good players.

Anything short of that and we'll continue to miss the playoffs.

This draft is starting to remind me of 2012, the year we drafted Gilmore. Buffalo had needs all over the field, and the mock drafts were as scattered as they come. Various mocks had us taking WR Justin Blackmon, S Mark Barron, WR Michael Floyd, DE Quinton Coples, and others.

When we picked CB Stephon Gilmore, I said "Huh? Really?" Hard to get excited about a CB...after all, there's like 11 of those on every team, but whatever. But when I read about him, I thought "Okay, sounds like a shutdown guy. I guess I can get onboard."

Now it's 2017. Most of us are thinking WR or S. Some folks think we snag LB Foster based on his blue chip stock. But CB? Until we let Gilmore walk, did anyone really think CB was priority #1? More to the point, did anyone WANT cornerback to be priority #1? I mean...wasn't a toss-up between WR and S...when there are exceptional candidates at both spots...enough positions to choose from?

Which is why I think many of us will be surprised (and disappointed) when we go CB in round 1. We may follow that up with WR, OT, and S in the rounds that follow, but the consensus will be that we missed a golden opportunity to snag a stud at one of those positions of need in round 1.

I'm prepared to hate this draft. But I'd rather hate the draft and love the results than love the draft and hate the results.

CB is the deepest position in the entire draft. We can afford to wait until round 2 to draft one.

We desperately need a WR. If Sammy gets hurt again, we've got no one to throw to.

I expect the Bills to draft secondary early and often in this draft. This year is a rare opportunity to develop a dominant secondary with such a deep pool.

Hyde locks up one starting safety position, Poyer's contract seems to indicate a guy that is a backup for both safety positions and is a key special teams contributor. It appears we have a starting safety position open, I expect that to be filled in the first two rounds.

I think the Bills view Darby as a solid starter, but I think they would prefer to have Seymor as a nickel. Roberson showed some potential and should lock up the fifth spot. We need a starter, a 4th string, and a 6th string at this position (we should have at least six with NE going 4 WR every play). The Bills will address this in round 1 or 2.

WR is another position we need to add to early. Luckily this is a deep draft and we can find solid production from guys in the middle rounds. I think we can find a solid starter (for a run first team) in round 3. We have a great number 1, Listenbee could be a number 4, and Brown should be a number 5. We need a number 2 and a number 3 still. It would be nice to add a guy like Quick so we only have to add one guy in the draft.

We really need to add another developmental QB, we don't have the picks to do it right now. I think the Bills will look to trade down and add additional picks. I don't think there will be many suitors though as there is not a lot of separation in picks 15-90. We may add a guy like Evans in the 5th round.

1st round- I think the Bills are hoping that Hooker, Lattimore, or Adams fall to them. There is a decent chance of that happening. If not they will really try to trade down, but will most likely settle for Peppers or one of the top WRs.

2nd round- I expect the Bills to target a DB in the second round. Wilson, Tabor, Jackson, Moreau, and Awuzie are typically 1st round corners. One of these guys will fall to us.

3rd round- There are some great WR prospect flying under the radar right now. Cooper Kupp will drop because of his 40 time, probably only to late round 2. Samuel and Zay Jones will go in round 2. The guys I would hope for is Chad Hansen, he has everything you want in a 2nd WR. Godwin, Reynolds, and Cannon have some good number two qualities as well.

Round 5 and 6 we need to add a QB, DB, and TE. If we do all those thing we will be looking pretty good going into the year.

Round 1- Jamal Adams S

Round 2- Fabian Moreau DB

Round 3- Chad Hansen WR

Round 5- George Kittle TE

Round 5- Jerod Evans QB

Round 6- Erza Robinson DB

I could not have done any better except I think TE is OK with Clay and think (VT homer) Logan Thomas is a sleeper there. Just go WR or DB again there - but even that is a quibble given the deep TE class as well.

Well done, sir.

Step-Brothers-Did-we-just-become-best-fr

ya know, it's interesting that you posted this...I always think to myself, what position or player would I be excited that the bills drafted and which one would I not be excited for even if it was a need...when there was a chance that we would draft a QB this draft it was kind of exciting for me- even if it wasn't a great draft for QBs...I could even get excited for a 1st round WR...but CB or S (even though) we need it would just be meh to me.

Hopefully it involves drafting 3-4 really good players.

Anything short of that and we'll continue to miss the playoffs.

CB is the deepest position in the entire draft. We can afford to wait until round 2 to draft one.

We desperately need a WR. If Sammy gets hurt again, we've got no one to throw to.

This is my biggest thing...in addition, how do we know Sammy is going to want to stay a Bill? Might as well start hedging our bets just in case...never wanna get caught with your pants down like we did with Gilmore...this way if Sammy doesn't want to sign the Bills offer you can trade him before he hits the open market.