Can someone explain the tender situation (Gillislee & Groy)

I know both of these players were tendered at their original round tender which I think is 5th round and FA, at extremely low salaries. I would be extremely disappointed if by placing a 2nd round tender on TD Mike for $1 more is the difference between him staying and leaving. He needs to be on the team. And Groy was very good in Woods absence. My question is, can another team only match our offer? Or can they take either player by bettering the offer? And can the Bills match and offer? I just don't know quite how it works.

I believe it gives the Bills a right to match outside offers otherwise they take the compensation value if we don't. 5th for Mike and nothing for Groy.

Either way, we keep them unless another team really blows them out with a terribly bad team deal.

Edited by Woodman19

I believe it gives the Bills a right to match outside offers otherwise they take the compensation value if we don't. 5th for Mike and nothing for Groy.

Either way, we keep them unless another team really blows them out with a terribly bad team deal.

Great, thanks!

I have a question regarding RFAs as well.

I had asked if anyone thought Ross Cockrell was worth the 4th round price to get him from the Steelers. Someone said we don't have a 4th rounder this year. Does that mean teams are precluded from making offers to tendered RFAs if they don't have the prescribed compensatory pick in this year's draft or can other arrangements be made?

I have a question regarding RFAs as well.

I had asked if anyone thought Ross Cockrell was worth the 4th round price to get him from the Steelers. Someone said we don't have a 4th rounder this year. Does that mean teams are precluded from making offers to tendered RFAs if they don't have the prescribed compensatory pick in this year's draft or can other arrangements be made?

Yes.

In all seriousness, you can trade for the player outside of the tender.

Pats instead of signing Welker and giving up a second round pick when he was tendered by the Dolphins, they just traded picks for him then signed him/

Edited by FireChan

That makes sense thanks!

It's actually a sneaky way to secure a long term deal. Tender below their value to encourage another team to negotiate a long term deal then simply match it.

How is this "sneaky"? Basically, you're letting someone else do the negotiating for you & by doing so, you've eliminated the possibility of getting them for a lesser price either due to "hometown discount" or lack of diligence/effort seeking a better deal.

I believe players can present only 1 offer, which their team is allowed to match.

Personally, I think tendering Groy at the lowest is a mistake. I think he's worth keeping for the ~$2.4m (we just paid Mills $2m) & for the sake of $1m in cap (& cash), it's likely you lose that player (just like Hogan last yr). The 5th for TD Mike might be enough to scare someone away, or at least if it isn't, chances are they're also willing to give him far more $ than he'd be worth to us as a 2nd string RB.