How the heck does this tragedy happen!

Stuck on tracks for 10+ minutes? And then bam? After a minute or two... Wouldn't the goal be to get everbody evacuated as quickly as possible?

That seems like an eternity! Wow... CRAZY SAD! :-(

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Famphtml%2Fnews%2Fmorning-mix%2Fwp%2F2017%2F03%2F08%2Fbodies-come-flying-out-four-killed-dozens-injured-when-train-smashes-into-senior-center-charter-bus%2F#pt0-332255

In addition, it has two signs announcing low-ground clearance which, according to Operation Lifesaver, alerts drivers of long wheelbase vehicles or trailers of a potential hang-up situation at the crossing.

And there you have it? Shaking my head...

well...whether it be to get out of the way of an oncoming train, or moving out of my way at the grocery store, old people just don't more too fast.

they really do need to service that crossing though. you think after the second incident they'd be all over it.

The people on board were local to my area, Bastrop being essentially a suburb of Austin. I work in Bastrop frequently. A Biloxi man saw the crash about to happen and managed to get three or four people off the bus before it was struck. Here's a link from The Austin American-Statesman:

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/former-lockhart-school-administrators-killed-biloxi-crash-school-district-says/OOE7HURJPoJsrgml9TBP9N/

The people on board were local to my area, Bastrop being essentially a suburb of Austin. I work in Bastrop frequently. A Biloxi man saw the crash about to happen and managed to get three or four people off the bus before it was struck. Here's a link from The Austin American-Statesman:

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/former-lockhart-school-administrators-killed-biloxi-crash-school-district-says/OOE7HURJPoJsrgml9TBP9N/

Wow... Extremely horrible accident, so sorry.

If it really was 10 minutes or more, you wonder why there isn't something in the rail system to manage for this. I wonder if a 911 call was placed early about a stalled vehicle on tracks. ??

If guards come down on something... It should halt the system. That is different than somebody running and not disturbing the semaphores.

First of all, you are assuming that charter bus drivers are candidates for Mensa, and that they have gone through extensive training and safety courses prior to be hired (Not!).

Second, here's the crossing with the low ground clearance warning signs that everyone ignores.

Third, I'm assuming that the bus company and driver do not want to get written up by the police, which is why the driver probably did not call 911.

First of all, you are assuming that charter bus drivers are candidates for Mensa, and that they have gone through extensive training and safety courses prior to be hired (Not!).

Second, here's the crossing with the low ground clearance warning signs that everyone ignores.

Third, I'm assuming that the bus company and driver do not want to get written up by the police, which is why the driver probably did not call 911.

I'm almost positive in this case that 911 was not called. A 911 call explaining the situation would have immediately led to the 911 operator contacting the CSX dispatcher and they in turn would put out an emergency message to the train crew so they could immediately dump the air on the train and get it stopped.

I'm almost positive in this case that 911 was not called. A 911 call explaining the situation would have immediately led to the 911 operator contacting the CSX dispatcher and they in turn would put out an emergency message to the train crew so they could immediately dump the air on the train and get it stopped.

That is what I thought... If I saw that in a car I would have called.

You are right! Thanks.

We've all gone win @ all cost or die going nuclear even if it means nuking Grandma and her Lady friends along the way!

"Quick... Po Po is coming... Old people, get out and push! Those with oxygen tanks & walkers wedge them under my drive wheels so as to give a more tractive effort... Nothing to worry about. CALM DOWN! GRANDAD STOP CRYING, BE A MAN! LISTEN PEOPLE, I DON'T NEED ANOTHER TICKET! People inside, start rocking! YOU'RE not rocking hard enough Harvey from Dubuque!"

Wait... #2, was I looking close enough, I saw no warning signs... That was #2s point right?

This ain't gonna end well! :-(

We've gone mad! I guess the only good thing is we can't pin this on you know who. ;-) Okay... Shameless dig. I just had to. I know, I am setting a bad example for all the newbs watching.*

*It's a fine line, that takes years of practice on these boards.

Here's a link to a local news story regarding the crash:

http://keyetv.com/news/local/passenger-says-train-just-kept-coming-toward-bus-on-tracks

I have to wonder if the passengers didn't have time to call 911 themselves, if they assumed the driver would, or what? After being stuck like that for 20 or 30 seconds I'd have been out of my seat and moving to get off the bus.

Here's a link to a local news story regarding the crash:

http://keyetv.com/news/local/passenger-says-train-just-kept-coming-toward-bus-on-tracks

I have to wonder if the passengers didn't have time to call 911 themselves, if they assumed the driver would, or what? After being stuck like that for 20 or 30 seconds I'd have been out of my seat and moving to get off the bus.

Exactly! My original point. The second it failed to move again... Emergency evac! No playing around! All door open and help out. No George Costanza BS either... ;-)

Now... If just me in machine... I may have

worked it.

Again... Sorry, my deepest sympathies for the tragic connection you share.

Again... You would think semaphores, gates is crashed down on any stalled object with enough force, it would shut the line down... In this day and age... Like a GDO (garage door operator). ??

Now... If there was no contact with an object fine. Sensors wouldn't be so practical either... Benefit of doubt then goes to railroad.

Now... If bus was totally between gates... That's where 911 helps?

Again... You would think semaphores, gates is crashed down on any stalled object with enough force, it would shut the line down... In this day and age... Like a GDO (garage door operator). ??

Now... If there was no contact with an object fine. Sensors wouldn't be so practical either... Benefit of doubt then goes to railroad.

Now... If bus was totally between gates... That's where 911 helps?

That's probably some pretty fancy and expensive technology * how many railroad crossings in the US?

Nobody likes to believe that human error still plays a YUGE part in most everything and that isn't changing anytime soon.

That's probably some pretty fancy and expensive technology * how many railroad crossings in the US?

Nobody likes to believe that human error still plays a YUGE part in most everything and that isn't changing anytime soon.

Yeah. But something like a warning addded to the PLC can't be that hard and costly.

I know we are a huge country, I am not asking for something like eliminating most at grade crossings like they do in England. ;-)

Anyway, at very least how hard was it to fix the grade at that crossing? The actual track has to be a level grade, why can't they maintain the crossing level?

Again, looking at the GoogleEarth StreetView that GBiD posted, how the hell does anybody know not to bring a low clearance vehicle through? Did I miss seeing the warning signs? I will look again. At very least, put force sensors on only the problematic crossings.

Somebody is going to get grilled... Not totally the driver's fault if there were no warnings and specifically how much low clearance. They give you exact vertical height clearance, why is horizontal (wheel base to ground) clearance ballparked?