Cover 3 Defense

Heres a big question???

Is Shaq Lawson dominate enough to play the 9 tech in pass rushing situations?

He is a very good young football player but is his first step off the edge explosive enough??

One thing for sure he is definitely stout enough to be a great run stuffing 7 tech in this league

This is quite a long running discussion on these boards actually. I am in the "yes" camp. I had Lawson graded as a top 10 player last year. He is not an explosive, fast twitch guy but he converts speed to power really well and has terrific hands (I'm a big believer in looking at hand technique with rushers). Terrell Suggs was the comparison that I think Bandit originally came up with pre-draft and I think it is a really good one. Suggs has averaged about 8.5 sacks a year in the NFL over his remarkable career. I would expect Shaq in these next 5 or 6 years of his prime to be getting 8 to 12 sacks a year.

I actually think the compliment of rushing styles between Hughes who is the kind of speed guy and Lawson should give the Bills a nice balance.... what they clearly need is depth behind those two.

There are others here who disagree and think Lawson is a low ceiling guy who will never be a really productive NFL pass rusher and even some who think he was a "reach for need" by the Bills.

Edited by GunnerBill

Sure, I'd love to get more In depth...

My original OP was so long, I didn't want it to be a wall of text

I wanted the principles to get across...

As for the WILL... I said CAN BE a BIT undersized... Meaning he doesn't need to be a 250 LB bruiser

Thomas Davis is a great will backer and he's about 235

Kiko Alonso is another WILL at around 230

They need unparalleled instincts and sideline to sideline range with the ability to turn their hips and run with ends

in MCD's D we need 80% coverage 15% run 5% pressure qb. It was rare that Davis crossed the los.

Alonso would be good in this role. Was he cut? I don't remember? If we got Alonso as insurance depth, z brown back, aj Klein and Ragland with p brown we would have a lot of depth but not one true all star to pin threat hopes in. Bradham would have been nice at slb, fwiw. Maybe better than Ragland. I don't see anyone I want at mlb other than Klein and that's not certain.

Restricted free agent MLB Kiko Alonso doesn't want to move to weak-side linebacker.

The Dolphins have flirted with the idea of kicking Alonso back outside where he excelled as a rookie in Buffalo, but Alonso isn't open to the idea and wants to continue manning the MIKE position. He believes that's "his spot."

Great post Logic however I want to be cautious about making predictions about D rankings after the last two years fiasco

I'd settle for finishing top 20 vs the run as that would be a marked improvement over the Rex years

Also unless we trade down and acquire an extra high draft pick we just can't find solutions for all our holes

I do hope we grab a Corner and a FS but you can't get that ILB and a QB and a WR

At the same time fans have to stop cutting the likes of the Graham's, Clay's, Kyle's Leshean, and others

The last thing we need is even more holes

And for every player you release and have to sign a FA to replace it affects the balance sheet of 2018 Comp picks

jc

Restricted free agent MLB Kiko Alonso doesn't want to move to weak-side linebacker.

The Dolphins have flirted with the idea of kicking Alonso back outside where he excelled as a rookie in Buffalo, but Alonso isn't open to the idea and wants to continue manning the MIKE position. He believes that's "his spot."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8445/kiko-alonso

maybe in a Tampa 2 or on a run stout 43 Miami may be better than we are to suit him at 34 mike

We need to retain Zach and I think we will structure something that works. Then we need to acquire two safeties and another corner. One of the safeties will probably be a veteran, then draft a CB and safety. If Hooker or Adams falls to us it's a no brainer.

maybe in a Tampa 2 or on a run stout 43 Miami may be better than we are to suit him at 34 mike

I always believed Kiko was best suited for the WILL backer spot in an attacking 34 or the Will backer spot in an attacking 43 zone Defense

As the MIKE in a 34 he doesn't shed blocks good enough and gets worn down easily

This is quite a long running discussion on these boards actually. I am in the "yes" camp. I had Lawson graded as a top 10 player last year. He is not an explosive, fast twitch guy but he converts speed to power really well and has terrific hands (I'm a big believer in looking at hand technique with rushers). Terrell Suggs was the comparison that I think Bandit originally came up with pre-draft and I think it is a really good one. Suggs has averaged about 8.5 sacks a year in the NFL over his remarkable career. I would expect Shaq in these next 5 or 6 years of his prime to be getting 8 to 12 sacks a year.

I actually think the compliment of rushing styles between Hughes who is the kind of speed guy and Lawson should give the Bills a nice balance.... what they clearly need is depth behind those two.

There are others here who disagree and think Lawson is a low ceiling guy who will never be a really productive NFL pass rusher and even some who think he was a "reach for need" by the Bills.

I never got the T-Sizzle comparison.

Suggs was a great college pass rusher despite a pretty modest supporting cast.

He didn't run a good 40 but he was quick off the ball and relentless with good technique so it wasn't a surprise when he burst on the scene with a 12 sack rookie season.

Whatever Lawson is.......it's at-best a work in progress.

Doesn't matter if you have good hands if you are the last guy off the ball on the line at Clemson and don't use your arms........he was a leaner at Clemson and getting his shoulder fixed didn't change that.

He was a liability on the field by the end of last season.

Hopefully he gets his act together........I didn't have huge hopes for him but I was surprised how bad he was as a rookie.

in MCD's D we need 80% coverage 15% run 5% pressure qb. It was rare that Davis crossed the los.

Alonso would be good in this role. Was he cut? I don't remember? If we got Alonso as insurance depth, z brown back, aj Klein and Ragland with p brown we would have a lot of depth but not one true all star to pin threat hopes in. Bradham would have been nice at slb, fwiw. Maybe better than Ragland. I don't see anyone I want at mlb other than Klein and that's not certain.

Completely agree that Bradham would've been a GREAT SAM Backer in this system

Hes not a 34 guy but was coming into his own In an attacking 43