Greg Cosell Thinks Bills Should Move On From Tyrod Taylor

You don't have to agree, but Cosell is a highly respected guy, a tape study maniac.

But his word is not God - far from it !!

Bill Polian stated there is nobody in the draft and nobody in free agency as good as Tyrod.

ANYONE who claims a QB is good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win the Superbowl - get over yourself - that is such a thin line when factoring in so many of TEAM variables needed to win a superbowl - make the playoffs it becomes a tournament

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But his word is not God - far from it !!

Bill Polian stated there is nobody in the draft and nobody in free agency as good as Tyrod.

ANYONE who claims a QB is good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win the Superbowl - get over yourself - that is such a thin line when factoring in so many of TEAM variables needed to win a superbowl - make the playoffs it becomes a tournament

Bill Polian has lost a lot of authority due to many of his recent statements.

Also, whether a rookie could beat out Tyrod day 1 is not how you make the decision. You are thinking like a coach. Get me the best player I can get for the next game. Bills GM and fans need to think like GM's. Look at Bill Belichick. He routinely cuts players that are good and replaces them a year or two early because he is working the big picture.

You are acting as if we made the playoffs last year.

2014 Bills 9 wins

2015 Bills 8 wins

2016 Bills 7 wins

My guess based on current free agency losses is that this next number will be 6. I don't need to blow up anything, Bills team is not that good. And you are just listing players. Every NFL team has players. Only 3-4 teams have much worse rosters than ours. We are what we are, drafting top ten and our talent will BE WORSE THIS YEAR.

So you are saying we are 2-3 wins from making the playoffs, and that calls for a complete rebuild?

You forgot that we don't have Percy Harvin anymore.

And Robert Woods, Chris Hogan, Goodwin, etc

So you are saying we are 2-3 wins from making the playoffs, and that calls for a complete rebuild?

7 wins is not even 3 games from making the playoffs. We need 11 wins to guarantee that.

I say go with Cardale Jones cut Tyrod Taylor and see what we have in Jones. Sign a veteran back up. Draft some wideouts and corners and safety and if Cardale Jones shows nothing then get your stud QB in the 2018 NFL Draft that will be loaded with stud

QB's. I'm on record of wanting the Bills to Pick Patrick Mahomes

I think he will be great. But with all those great QB's that are supposed to be in the 2018 draft it might be wise to keep our powder dry. Also maybe trade out of the first round and get a extra 1st round pick next year. So you get that franchise QB.

I like Cardale Jones and I want to see what he can do. I would sign Mccown as his back up. That's my 2 cents.

I wasn't saying you were a casual fan, my point is that most people think of Cleveland as a train wreck but don't realize how much better they will be very soon. They had a very good draft last year and this year they get 2 drafts with all their picks in a LOADED draft. They will make up talent quickly. They also have the most cap space they can use now or next year to sign players.

Bills have Cleveland in their rear view mirror for today but if we pay Tyrod 30-40 million and have another bad draft they can pass us as soon as next year.

I get what you're saying, but I think I would take a different approach from a COMPLETE rebuild. WE need to find a franchise QB, right? Don't pick up Tyrods option and start Cardale. Draft a QB in this draft. Why start Cardale? See what you have. If he sucks, then ok here is your top 3 pick in the draft next year. Hey, he might turn out to be good. Either you have a top pick in next years draft with 61 million in cap space, or you might have found lightning in a bottle with Cardale, with 61 million in cap space next year. Worth the shot IMO.

And Robert Woods, Chris Hogan, Goodwin, etc

7 wins is not even 3 games from making the playoffs. We need 11 wins to guarantee that.

You referenced the last 3 years, so I took the middle.

I get what you're saying, but I think I would take a different approach from a COMPLETE rebuild. WE need to find a franchise QB, right? Don't pick up Tyrods option and start Cardale. Draft a QB in this draft. Why start Cardale? See what you have. If he sucks, then ok here is your top 3 pick in the draft next year. Hey, he might turn out to be good. Either you have a top pick in next years draft with 61 million in cap space, or you might have found lightning in a bottle with Cardale, with 61 million in cap space next year. Worth the shot IMO.

You referenced the last 3 years, so I took the middle.

Yes, I don't think the Bills have zero talent. But I do think we are headed down next year and want to use the year to clear cap space and get younger. 2 great drafts and we are the Raiders.

Cosell has eyes.

Welcome about Cosell.

Who is your solution at QB?

Cosell says no to Taylor and no to drafting a QB. He also prefers the Bills losing/moving. What say you?

Yes, I don't think the Bills have zero talent. But I do think we are headed down next year and want to use the year to clear cap space and get younger. 2 great drafts and we are the Raiders.

Should the Bills keep/pay any players from last year's final 53? Who?

I get it. I just hate the idea of a complete rebuild haha, but I would understand it. We have waited this long for the playoffs, what is a couple more years as long as I know we are setting up for success for the long haul.

Cosell says no to Taylor and no to drafting a QB. He also prefers the Bills losing/moving. What say you?

Trubisky or Mahomes would be first choice. Watson 2nd.

I'll listen to his peer Bucky Brooks when it comes to the qb's in the draft.

Should the Bills keep/pay any players from last year's final 53? Who?

Keep Dareus, Shaq, Hughes as your DL core.

At linebacker I would try to trade Ragland if we could get a second round pick.

Offensive line is nice but needs some youth.

WR all we have is Sammy. We need to draft a few.

We need to draft WR's, Corners, Safeties, and QB's. Kyle is also long in the tooth and if a DT drops that we like we should grab them.

I understand the thought process, I guess I just wonder what Cosell thinks teams like the Ravens, Giants, and Bengals should do. If the logic is that you should move on from these "just good enough" QBs, then you're left with no more than 10 teams that shouldn't be drafting a QB high next year. And IMO in a high-demand QB market, you are best hanging on to any sufficient QB you find while still drafting more every year. That way you always keep your team at a certain baseline that COULD win a Super Bowl (2012 Ravens and 2013 Seahawks are my go to examples), and you're not losing out on anything in the salary cap because QB is so important that you might as well devote some cap space to it. Gilmore's cap hit won't end up being much less than what Tyrod's is set to be, so that's all you have to do to make it up, lose a player like Gilmore.

I'm using the merger as an excuse to cut down on the number of Tyrod threads I post in. But that pretty much sums up how I feel. I doubt anything that happens between now and September will convince anyone that they're wrong about their opinion on Tyrod.

Edited by HappyDays

Hard to argue with any of what Cosell says.

If the Bills want to cut Taylor and tank for Darnold, go right ahead. I'm fully on board with that idea.

Just don't cut him, tell me you still think you're close and then sign some journeyman QB who can win us 5 games this year under the premise management still thinks we're close.

The Bills aren't close to the playoffs, and if they want to cut Taylor, and cut McCoy, and start rebuilding for the future, I have no problem with that.

Hard to argue with any of what Cosell says.

If the Bills want to cut Taylor and tank for Darnold, go right ahead. I'm fully on board with that idea.

Just don't cut him, tell me you still think you're close and then sign some journeyman QB who can win us 5 games this year under the premise management still thinks we're close.

The Bills aren't close to the playoffs, and if they want to cut Taylor, and cut McCoy, and start rebuilding for the future, I have no problem with that.

I honestly think if we full tank only the Jets and 49ers would be pushing us. Cleveland looks to be on the way up but we have to really be creative to outdo the Jets.

McD, Dennison and Culley all have been around good QBs and know one when they see one, if they think TT can run their offense, I'm good with it, if they think a Foles or Glennon, for example, can run it better, who's to argue?

I don't necessarily disagree with his stance on TT if we can find an upgrade, but this is the same Greg Cosell who declared Ryan Nassib was the best QB in the '13 draft.

The 2013 QB class was a complete dumpster fire. There isn't a single starting QB from the bunch so being wrong about a bunch of terrible players isn't such a bad thing in my eyes. If you read what he said, he flat out says none of the guys in the 2013 class are elite, and that he doesn't think any are even as good as Ryan Tannehill (mediocre starter). He says he likes Nassib the most because of a few traits he displayed in college but never went out and said he thought he'd make a great NFL QB.

I honestly think if we full tank only the Jets and 49ers would be pushing us. Cleveland looks to be on the way up but we have to really be creative to outdo the Jets.

It's not too hard to go from the 10th overall pick to having a shot at the #1 pick.

My blueprint for how to do it:

- downgrade the QB spot by a huge margin by cutting Taylor

- cut your best offensive player (McCoy), designate him a post June 1 cut and save $6.25 mil in cap space

- trade Sammy Watkins (if the Saints can be trying to trade Brandon Cooks, why can't we trade Sammy)

- leave the defense as is

- bring back Dan Carpenter

Against the upcoming schedule, that team isn't winning more than 2 or 3 games.

Edited by jrober38