Why not simplify the stategic plan for next year.

gjv001

I highly doubt the new head coach hired the new offensive coordinator to simply ape the system of the guys who were canned. These notions of "it ain't broke" don't play in the real world with turnover in the coaching staff and players on team that still, STILL has not made the playoffs in forever.

And no, I do not want to sit and watch the offense throw for 150 yards a game again.

I don't necessarily disagree. Keep Taylor, healthy Lawson, healthy Ragland, Kyle Williams decides to play, Aaron Williams decides to play, sign a starting caliber safety for $6 million per, tag Gilmore, Watkins is really healthy this time, restructure a few contracts, draft Corey Davis at 10, this isn't a bad football team.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I highly doubt the new head coach hired the new offensive coordinator to simply ape the system of the guys who were canned. These notions of "it ain't broke" don't play in the real world with turnover in the coaching staff and players on team that still, STILL has not made the playoffs in forever.

And no, I do not want to sit and watch the offense throw for 150 yards a game again.

THANK YOU for spelling it out.

Really? So you feel it's better to scrap our top ten scoring offense in order to avoid watching a 150 yard passing performance per game. I would prefer to keep the successful offense and focus on a defense that ranked 30th.

I agree with metz. We have a good base. WR and O line are good spots to draft early. DB later. Have to keep TT. We can make the playoffs. I don't care about the schedule. Good new coaching will make a big difference. Head up and keep the faith just like for the last 17 years. This year will be different----- I hope.

Doing things the same assumes the players don't regress at all. I find it hard to believe, especially the offense, that there wouldn't be a fall off. Incognito is 34 next season, Wood's had a few serious injuries, the RT spot is a black hole, they'll likely lose Woods to UFA, McCoy is a 29 year old back, Tyrod has more film on him, etc.

Things never stay the same from year to year. Rosters churn and coaches are fired.

Really? So you feel it's better to scrap our top ten scoring offense in order to avoid watching a 150 yard passing performance per game. I would prefer to keep the successful offense and focus on a defense that ranked 30th.

Yes really. And even if I didn't want anything to change, my point was it's going to. That's the reality.

I cherry picked a team offensive statistic that backed up my opinion, same as you keep doing. Scoring all those points is great, but I'd much rather score the same amount a points utilizing a more balanced system, rather than the most recent one that put the team at a disadvantage when and if they fell behind late in games.

Yes really. And even if I didn't want anything to change, my point was it's going to. That's the reality.

I cherry picked a team offensive statistic that backed up my opinion, same as you keep doing. Scoring all those points is great, but I'd much rather score the same amount a points utilizing a more balanced system, rather than the most recent one that put the team at a disadvantage when and if they fell behind late in games.

Some people think real life is just like Madden. Coaches don't matter if you just select the Y play every time, player progression is clearly defined "Tyrod is obviously better he went up 3 points in awareness", so all you need to do is replace the 50s we have at S with cheap free agent 80s and viola, we're a playoff team.

The Bills were very efficient in the red zone because they had a great run blocking line, Shady, and a threat to run with Tyrod.

But the Bills offense struggled getting first downs and points in key situations.

It's possible to score less points and win more games if the QB makes plays in the 4th quarter. See last year's Lions.

I don't necessarily disagree. Keep Taylor, healthy Lawson, healthy Ragland, Kyle Williams decides to play, Aaron Williams decides to play, sign a starting caliber safety for $6 million per, tag Gilmore, Watkins is really healthy this time, restructure a few contracts, draft Corey Davis at 10, this isn't a bad football team.

I'm with this guy!

A. Perfect. Storm.

Either Suprbowl... or someone named Williams dies on the field.

It's a gamble I am willing to take.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

Some people think real life is just like Madden. Coaches don't matter if you just select the Y play every time, player progression is clearly defined "Tyrod is obviously better he went up 3 points in awareness", so all you need to do is replace the 50s we have at S with cheap free agent 80s and viola, we're a playoff team.

:lol::lol::lol:

That is a really funny comparison. Im literally about to go through a new draft in my franchise. Gonna scout some rooks for a SS B-)

Improving the OL would be a nice start. Another wide receiver would also help. A decent defense would serve to shorten the field and create more turnovers. Last but not least, Tyrod will at least be more experienced.

I am not the biggest optimist on the board but it's POSSIBLE that the Bills will improve. I suppose that's easy to say in February. :)

You are not the jaded Gotham Bill that I once knew. You are going soft. I'm confident that you will return to your harsher form once the Bills use their first pick on a DB. :D

Edited by JohnC

If the goal for next season is to win as many games as possible and end the playoff drought, would it not be prudent to keep the 2016 offense in tact and focus free agency and the draft on improving the defense and special teams?

I so desperately hope that the goal for next season is not to win as many games as possible and end the playoff drought.

The should be to move us as far as possible in the direction of being capable of competing for a championship in the next three or four years. Next year's wins should barely enter into it. The coaches and players won't think that way of course, but the GM and the Bills management should.

If you really want to maximize next year's wins, don't worry about overpaying in FA. Spend right up to the cap and then just re-negotiate to bring down the numbers and pass the problems on down the line. Since we don't care about the future, and next year's wins are all that are important to us in this case, we should bring in guys who're near the end of their careers but have a year left, and give them contracts with huge signing bonuses so we can again pass the problems on down the line into the future. I'm sure we could meet our goals for making the playoffs.

Getting rid of Tyrod wouldn't be scrapping our top ten scoring offense.

It would pretty much be scrapping the passing portion of that offense, which didn't play well, and keeping the running portion of that offense, which was terrific.

We were the 16th ranked offense in the league, that's a fact. And the 19th ranked defense. There's a reason that offenses and defenses are ranked on how many yards they get.

And the reason is that scoring isn't purely an offensive stat. It includes an awful lot of credit or blame which should be given to the STs and the defense. If the defense scores on a pick six, somehow the offense was superb there if you go by scoring. If the STs down a punt on the 3 and the defense recovers a fumble on the one and the offense takes four plays to get in, they've done as sensational job ... and the defense and STs had nothing to do with it ... if you look at scoring to rank offenses.

Field position is huge when you look at scoring, and a very large amount of that comes down to the STs and the defense. Now, probably 70 - 80% is still offense, but if you look at our offense, what you see is a terrific run game and a below average pass game.

The offense was top 10. The yards gained or allowed statistic is not a good way to judge an offense or defense.

It's not? Of course it is. Or at least as relevant as points scored. Total yardage can shed light on offensive efficiency, the ability to sustain long drives and control time of possession, etc. It's why it's one of the most basic team stats tracked and published by, oh let's see, everyone.

Again, cherry picking statistics to fit your offensive preference is not an argument.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

It's not? Of course it is. Or at least as relevant as points scored. Total yardage can shed light on offensive efficiency, the ability to sustain long drives and control time of possession, etc. It's why it's one of the most basic team stats tracked and published by, oh let's see, everyone.

Again, cherry picking statistics to fit your offensive preference is not an argument.

The Bills offense was a middle of the road offense that was very efficient in the red zone. That same offense, even if Tyrod is retained, will now have a new run blocking scheme, coaches, and offense, playcalls, and terminology.

Their best player Watkins is usually injured and McCoy also gets dinged up and is approaching 30.

But yes, let's build around this unit as our new cornerstone for future success, a unit that came up small in every game against playoff teams other than Miami.