Browns release Josh McCown

YoloinOhio

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As many of you know, I've also bee a Browns fans for a long time. Here's my take on McKown:

He definitely is not elite in almost any category that you look for in a QB, definitely not the most athletic QB you will find. But here is a guy that will NEVER embarrass the team on or off the field. He is the opposite of Billy Joe Hobert in that he will studiously know the game plan and offense. This guy loves the game and is dedicated to it and his team. A hard worker and a class act.

Still a decent vet backup, which we need. And Whaley tried to get him 2 years ago before Cleveland outbid and he then traded for Cassel.http://m.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-release-QB-Josh-McCown-and-DB-Tramon-Williams/8c4cf239-fd34-41bd-8d8f-a593a516259b

You don't need an old backup when you are searching for a QB... No point in grabbing a backup that won't win you anything but a worse draft pick.

You mean The great QB coming out next draft from that left coast school who hasnt had a QB play a single down in 51 consecutive Super Bowls? Then be suprised when it doesnt work out?

So you don't wanna draft one in 2018 either (I'm guessing you are on about Darnold / USC)? Serious question JMS do you think Tyrod Taylor is a franchise Quarterback?

So you don't wanna draft one in 2018 either (I'm guessing you are on about Darnold / USC)? Serious question JMS do you think Tyrod Taylor is a franchise Quarterback?

I missed it. IS Darnold the only QB available next year? To take my TRUE statemet about the futility of USC QB's in the NFL and twist that into I dont want to draft a QB next year after I said I wanted to is beneath you.

I missed it. IS Darnold the only QB available next year? To take my TRUE statemet about the futility of USC QB's in the NFL and twist that into I dont want to draft a QB next year after I said I wanted to is beneath you.

I was not being facetious. I am trying to get a handle on where you stand. So you are in favour of drafting a QB in 2018 but not Darnold? Or are you saying you don't know yet but you definitely don't want Darnold? Do you think there is a realistic chance Tyrod (if they keep him) takes a step forward next year?

I am genuinely trying to get your take on where we stand at Quarterback and what you think the best approach going forward is.

I was not being facetious. I am trying to get a handle on where you stand. So you are in favour of drafting a QB in 2018 but not Darnold? Or are you saying you don't know yet but you definitely don't want Darnold? Do you think there is a realistic chance Tyrod (if they keep him) takes a step forward next year?

I am genuinely trying to get your take on where we stand at Quarterback and what you think the best approach going forward is.

Why are you confused Gunner? It is not that difficult.

1. I will let a USC QB get into a Super Bowl and show me that their college success is more than the system and their being surrounded by an entire offense of players whom where All Americans while recuriteed.

2. I say we have a top ten scoring offense and anyone thinking Tyrods dual threat doesnt have any impact on that is either a fool or has an agenda. I say given a healthy and upgraded contingent of WR's there is a very strong chance his passing improves over last year. Kind of like the Miami game. If he doesnt improve than we are in position to draft a QB in 18 from a stronger crop.

Why are you confused Gunner? It is not that difficult.

1. I will let a USC QB get into a Super Bowl and show me that their college success is more than the system and their being surrounded by an entire offense of players whom where All Americans while recuriteed.

2. I say we have a top ten scoring offense and anyone thinking Tyrods dual threat doesnt have any impact on that is either a fool or has an agenda. I say given a healthy and upgraded contingent of WR's there is a very strong chance his passing improves over last year. Kind of like the Miami game. If he doesnt improve than we are in position to draft a QB in 18 from a stronger crop.

So you think 2018 is a stronger crop and are content to consider drafting a Quarterback there but you don't like Darnold? I have never disputed either that Tyrod led a top 10 scoring offense or that his dual threat ability helps the run game. I do question that a stronger WR corps will help his passing massively. I don't think accuracy is Tyrod's issue (ie. I don't think getting a receiver who makes more difficult catches on balls that are not perfectly thrown is the answer), I think Tyrod's issue is he doesn't see the field well enough and isn't a fast enough decision maker. I think he is what he is at this stage. A solid game manager.

My view is if you like a Quarterback this year you should not let what may or may not be the view of the 2018 class at this point influence your decision making. Looking at the thread we had last year on QBs the Bills should draft there are multiple people advocating trading the farm for Watson in 2017. I don't think college Quarterback classes should be judged a year out from a draft..... nor do I think they should be properly judged half way through college seasons. Judge them when you have got the tape to evaluate a prospects full body of work.

So you think 2018 is a stronger crop and are content to consider drafting a Quarterback there but you don't like Darnold? I have never disputed either that Tyrod led a top 10 scoring offense or that his dual threat ability helps the run game. I do question that a stronger WR corps will help his passing massively. I don't think accuracy is Tyrod's issue (ie. I don't think getting a receiver who makes more difficult catches on balls that are not perfectly thrown is the answer), I think Tyrod's issue is he doesn't see the field well enough and isn't a fast enough decision maker. I think he is what he is at this stage. A solid game manager.

My view is if you like a Quarterback this year you should not let what may or may not be the view of the 2018 class at this point influence your decision making. Looking at the thread we had last year on QBs the Bills should draft there are multiple people advocating trading the farm for Watson in 2017. I don't think college Quarterback classes should be judged a year out from a draft..... nor do I think they should be properly judged half way through college seasons. Judge them when you have got the tape to evaluate a prospects full body of work.

Darnold is impressive but I am not willing to risk the next 5-7 years given the track record of USC QB's. Easy to dismiss my point here because this post will be LONG forgotten before it plays out. I had this same argument with Jets fans when they went with Sanchez.

This time ia always different until it isnt and youve wasted 5 years.

Edited by jms62

Darnold is impressive but I am not willing to risk the next 5-7 years given the track record of USC QB's. Easy to dismiss my point here because this post will be LONG forgotten before it plays out. I had this same argument with Jets fans when they went with Sanchez.

This time ia always different until it isnt and youve wasted 5 years.

Not dismissing your point at all on Darnold. I haven't watched much of him yet and I have previously been similarly critical of USC QBs. They get hype because USC which often distracts from flaws in their game. Kessler, Barkley, Sanchez... the list is long.

EDIT: what I would say is with all those guys the flaws were there on the tape. I haven't evaluated Darnold at all but my view on him by next April will be judged on the film not the uniform.

Edited by GunnerBill

Not dismissing your point at all on Darnold. I haven't watched much of him yet and I have previously been similarly critical of USC QBs. They get hype because USC which often distracts from flaws in their game. Kessler, Barkley, Sanchez... the list is long.

EDIT: what I would say is with all those guys the flaws were there on the tape. I haven't evaluated Darnold at all but my view on him by next April will be judged on the film not the uniform.

Guys that bet against of an established trend wind up broke.

The established trend is Quarterbacks with flaws fail.

The list of QB's without a flaw is miniscule and thinking you are going to find him in a down QB draft year while risking a top 10 offense is simply not analyzing the situation rationally. This team is an improved defense, WR and a kicker away from the playoffs this coming year and we may already have most of the pieces in place on defense and a scheme change would do the trick. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to me that Whaley is in board with my thinking as blowing it up this year probably gets him 2 more years. Pegula's simply are to trusting of people that are manipulating the situation to keep getting a paycheck for as long as possible.