Browns release Josh McCown

YoloinOhio

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still a decent vet backup, which we need. And Whaley tried to get him 2 years ago before Cleveland outbid and he then traded for Cassel.

http://m.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-release-QB-Josh-McCown-and-DB-Tramon-Williams/8c4cf239-fd34-41bd-8d8f-a593a516259b

If the Bills get him, then what are the odds they draft a qb this year?

They aren't likely to keep 4 in the regular season.

So, either no Cardale or no rookie if they get him. Don't ya think?

Unless they were planning on starting McCown. (which would mean tanking)

Move on from TT, draft a guy high and ride with him McCown and Cardale is plausible.

i think it's possibly going to be no TT (sorry). I think they actually could start either a highly drafted rookie or Cardale. I don't really think that's tanking. It's kind of the Eagles soft rebuild from 2016. It would mean in their minds they think they can win as many games with another QB as they did with TT, but they would be developIng a future franchise QB instead of stuck in purgatory. No one knows what they will do yet. But ultimately they need to replace EJ and they need a vet backup, so this is an option that would make sense. Edited by YoloinOhio

McCown is the EXACT addition that I want if TT stays. I want a smart veteran backup and Cardale as my developmental guy. If they move on from TT he makes some sense too as a bridge starter.

That would be as big of a joke setup as Kolb and EJ.

I don't see Whaley making that mistake unless they already have their rookie QB picked out because they are confident he will be great and they plan on getting him in this draft at all costs.

i think it's possibly going to be no TT (sorry). I think they actually could start either a highly drafted rookie or Cardale. I don't really think that's tanking. It's kind of the Eagles soft rebuild from 2016. It would mean in their minds they think they can win as many games with another QB as they did with TT, but they would be developIng a future franchise QB instead of stuck in purgatory. No one knows what they will do yet. But ultimately they need to replace EJ and they need a vet backup, so this is an option that would make sense.

They could argue starting a drafted rookie isn't tanking - yes I give you that. They could use the argument that they are developing the guy.

Starting Cardale = blatant tanking unless the guy completely lights it up in training camp and preseason where fans can see him actually win the job. Does anyone honestly think that is a reasonable possibility?

If they draft a rookie, why do they need a vet backup? Cardale competes with rookie for number 2 spot. Winner gets it.

Anything is possible of course. Who knows what the Bills will do. But I can see massive fan outrage if they go into next season starting either McCown or Cardale unless one of them looked unbelievably good in preseason. Not betting for that to happen. Know what I mean?

Edited by PolishDave

They could argue starting a drafted rookie isn't tanking - yes I give you that. They could use the argument that they are developing the guy.

Starting Cardale = blatant tanking unless the guy completely lights it up in training camp and preseason where fans can see him actually win the job. Does anyone honestly think that is a reasonable possibility?

If they draft a rookie, why do they need a vet backup? Cardale competes with rookie for number 2 spot. Winner gets it.

Anything is possible of course. Who knows what the Bills will do. But I can see massive fan outrage if they go into next season starting either McCown or Cardale unless one of them looked unbelievably good in preseason. Not betting for that to happen. Know what I mean?

im just not sure they think as highly of TT as many fans do, and may choose to start someone else. The value of mccown as a backup is that I KNOW cardale would benefit and so would a rookie if TT is gone . In fact, TT would as well if he's here because he's still relatively green in his development. If you don't have a solid franchise guy as your starter, you need someone reliable in the film room and experience on the field. Adding more rookies won't help unless that rookie is your main man. IMO using a draft on a guy who can be a backup QB as his ceiling (i.e. a Kevin Hogan type) is a waste if you don't have a franchise QB in place.

im just not sure they think as highly of TT as many fans do, and may choose to start someone else. The value of mccown as a backup is that I KNOW cardale would benefit and so would a rookie if TT is gone . In fact, TT would as well if he's here because he's still relatively green in his development. If you don't have a solid franchise guy as your starter, you need someone reliable in the film room and experience on the field. Adding more rookies won't help unless that rookie is your main man. IMO using a draft on a guy who can be a backup QB as his ceiling (i.e. a Kevin Hogan type) is a waste if you don't have a franchise QB in place.

Of course they may move on from Tyrod and start someone else. They still have to be able to sell it to the fans. Good luck selling McCown.

A rookie...yes they could sell if they take a guy in the first round.

A second round draft starter = no sale

McCown = no sale

Of course they may move on from Tyrod and start someone else. They still have to be able to sell it to the fans. Good luck selling McCown.

A rookie...yes they could sell if they take a guy in the first round.

A second round draft starter = no sale

McCown = no sale

i don't think mccown would be considered as a starter