Tagliabue Appolgizes For Concussion Remarks

Tiberius

http://tucson.com/sports/tagliabue-apologizes-for-concussion-remarks/article_1d9b8a48-e601-5a73-b728-15368ad7ec6c.html

In an interview with the Talk of Fame Network that airs nationwide Wednesday night, Tagliabue admitted he erred in 1994 in saying concussions were "one of those pack-journalism issues." He also claimed then that the number of concussions "is relatively small; the problem is the journalist issue."

Up for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday, Tagliabue spoke out Wednesday about a major blemish on a record highlighted by labor peace throughout his 17-year tenure.

As someone who has had multiple concussions and is still suffering from MTBI symptoms, as much as I love this game, this issue troubles me about the game and its future. Until I had it, I had no idea what this was about, and I thought it was a temporary thing where you got knocked out, wobbly, till it clears up a bit after. Well, fork, no, when it doesn't. That's when it's sh1t. Over the long term, I don't know if the game can survive in its current form. Players and growth hormones we ingest in meat are making kids bigger, sports sciences are making them much stronger, with dire consequences for the participants. In the end how far removed are we from Romans' barbaric practice of bloodbath in the colliseum? This was a human civilization at its highest level at the time practicing and indulging in the most barbaric of acts. Are we deluding ourselves like the Romans did in their own perceived superiority? Are we better off? Sorry sports was one escape for me. But reality has its way of bleeding into it.

TBN did a story on Nittmo a few days ago. I thought they finally wrote something worth reading. Not Jerry's BS.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/27/finding-nittmo/

As someone who has had multiple concussions and is still suffering from MTBI symptoms, as much as I love this game, this issue troubles me about the game and its future. Until I had it, I had no idea what this was about, and I thought it was a temporary thing where you got knocked out, wobbly, till it clears up a bit after. Well, fork, no, when it doesn't. That's when it's sh1t. Over the long term, I don't know if the game can survive in its current form. Players and growth hormones we ingest in meat are making kids bigger, sports sciences are making them much stronger, with dire consequences for the participants. In the end how far removed are we from Romans' barbaric practice of bloodbath in the colliseum? This was a human civilization at its highest level at the time practicing and indulging in the most barbaric of acts. Are we deluding ourselves like the Romans did in their own perceived superiority? Are we better off? Sorry sports was one escape for me. But reality has its way of bleeding into it.

TBN did a story on Nittmo a few days ago. I thought they finally wrote something worth reading. Not Jerry's BS.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/27/finding-nittmo/

Very well written post! I hope your symptoms get better each day and you relaps fewer days. Up here in Boston we (well Hockey fans at least) have Savard as an example of this. He took a cheap shot hit and got a concussion and has had issues ever since. (It's been like 8 years and he still has days where he can't even get up it hurts that bad. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

(And my son wants to play football, and I will let him but will be having mini heart attacks every time he is slow to get up.)

Very well written post! I hope your symptoms get better each day and you relaps fewer days. Up here in Boston we (well Hockey fans at least) have Savard as an example of this. He took a cheap shot hit and got a concussion and has had issues ever since. (It's been like 8 years and he still has days where he can't even get up it hurts that bad. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

(And my son wants to play football, and I will let him but will be having mini heart attacks every time he is slow to get up.)

I will only tell u that it's no way to live. On the outside you look normal. But it is hard to function like you used to. If you have the concussion resistant gene, your kid's gonna be ok. otherwise, pull him out after his first.

He had many years to say this. He waited until now? It's like he had to be asked...

Of course he had to be asked. What else was he going to do, call a press conference to announce things he regretted saying in his life?

No good deed....

My kIds played a lot of sports and suffered numerous injuries including a broken arm, torn ACL, torn MCL, broken ankle, stinger, broken collarbone and who knows what I'm forgetting. They are all healed up right now with minimal lasting effect at this point in their young lives. (Long term, we'll see.) My worst fear was concussions. I know, like most kids and as in the case of the stinger, they would have lied to get back on the field, only furthering the risk of damage. We spent a lot of time with doctors and PT's, but I consider us to be lucky.

what a silly statement. why is tiberius even allowed to be a member here to begin with?

besides that issue... it's common sense that banging heads, running full speed in to another body, jumping, leaping etc is never good for you.

but my absolute favorite of this is using a modern lens on history. what a joke - who cares what he says now or then.

My kIds played a lot of sports and suffered numerous injuries including a broken arm, torn ACL, torn MCL, broken ankle, stinger, broken collarbone and who knows what I'm forgetting. They are all healed up right now with minimal lasting effect at this point in their young lives. (Long term, we'll see.) My worst fear was concussions. I know, like most kids and as in the case of the stinger, they would have lied to get back on the field, only furthering the risk of damage. We spent a lot of time with doctors and PT's, but I consider us to be lucky.

my favorite concussion was after a game i sat in the locker room about 45 minutes i'm told waiting on the next half of football. i didn't realize it was not halftime. that or it took me about 45 minutes to get undressed. i remember only that my hands were really really big and felt fuzzy.

i had one in junior high after a throw in wrestling. i landed off the mat.

Well if your a synic I guess you could look at it that way lol. I just took it as him answering the question honestly...

cynic, but hey... yeah.

Of course he had to be asked. What else was he going to do, call a press conference to announce things he regretted saying in his life?

No good deed....

No he didn't need to be asked. This topic has been front and center for some time now and grew under his watch. There has been years for him to chime in. He has been conspicuously silent, content for Goodell to take the heat.

He didn't need an interview or a press conference to comment on a topic that thousands were already commenting on. He did no "good deed" by admitting the obvious. Your bar is too low.